10. Strategic Plan

img-spacer.gif Plan Baton Rouge II

11. Ongoing Projects

img-spacer.gif CPEX
img-spacer.gif BREADA
img-spacer.gif DBA

12. Correspondence

13. Public Comment

Impressed with how  the massive Lofts @ 6C  is beginning to look  :shades:; literally takes the entire block of Sixth Street from Convention St. to Florida St.

DSCN1515.thumb.JPG.c16cbd865bf5f3b42b163ad75755c126.JPG

DSCN1516.thumb.JPG.f952d47a7bb152eaea596e1a8637397e.JPG

From Florida Street

DSCN1518.thumb.JPG.a1ebd899eeb2ad74ceba29a994a3c81b.JPG

From same intersection...Looking West at the Courtyard Marriott construction 3 blocks away

DSCN1519.thumb.JPG.fcf804127ebcd8e0cbbc82b4b70e917c.JPG

• Like 1

Originally had a cool name "Beauregard Quarters"....but now it's called "The Elias"...:rolleyes:

4 floors / 26 units.....America Street @ Napoleon St.

DSCN1520.thumb.JPG.1933f7643b297ec13cfd61acc9cf0f46.JPGDSCN1522.thumb.JPG.7dffed337103ef0e37838a5c4d6b3039.JPG

Looking North :shades:......you can see the top floors of Lofts @ 6C  a couple of blocks away

DSCN1521.thumb.JPG.fd307730d40001f063d79251d04fa09c.JPG

Edited by richyb83

Thanks for the "Like"  Antrell on Lofts @ 6C above....Think they are turning out to look pretty cool :shades:...much better than the surface parking lot surrounded by black-iron fence.

& on Sixth Street  Three blocks north......The original contractor building 4 floors? won't be shared...now downsized to just 3 floors

Units of The Lofts @6C downtown apartments to open in summer; retail space also planned

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/business/article_9ad7187a-3cd4-11e8-b20c-b35541e60aba.html

The first units in The Lofts @ 6C, (142 units) a mixed-use development in downtown Baton Rouge, should be open by midsummer.

The update was presented Tuesday to the Downtown Development District Commission, along with information on a contractor board's office building, an Asian restaurant and a proposed hostel. 

The DDD also received an update on a new office building for the Louisiana State Licensing Board for Contractors that will be built at 600 North St.

Ratcliff Construction of Alexandria, which is the contractor for the development, is mobilizing to start work this week, with plans to open by June 2019.

Trula Remson, a principal with Remson Haley Herpin Architects, said the three-story building will be about 19,000 square feet. That’s smaller than the original plans, which called for the licensing board to share a 28,000-square-foot building with Louisiana Associated General Contractors. When bids for the building came in over budget, the size was scaled down.

About 40 people will work in the licensing board’s office.

• 3 weeks later...

Good question Dan :D

DDD Commission Meeting
May 8, 2018 8:00 a.m.
The Lyceum Historic Meeting & Events Center, 124 Third Street

AGENDA

1. Call to Order

2. Declare Quorum

3. Approve Agenda

4. Approve April 10, 2018 Minutes

5. Board Action

6. Governmental Issues

img-spacer.gif Riverboat Gaming
img-spacer.gif Utility Paint Ordinance

7. Update from Previous Board Meeting

8. Development Initiatives

img-spacer.gif Developments Underway
  Downtown East Update
img-spacer.gif DDD 30th Anniversary
  Pedestrian and Bike Master Plan
  City Hall Plaza
  Riverfront Plaza
  Town Square Phase II
img-spacer.gif Downtown Greenway
  Downtown Maintenance Committee
  New Business

9. Events

Corked 5K - May 12
  Music and Mudbugs - May 12
  Baton Rouge Soul Food Festival - May 19 & 20
  GymFitBR Festival - May 26
  For Our Fallen Hump - May 26
  CANN 5K - June 2
  Happy's 5K - June 2
  Oyster Festival - June 30
  Preserve Louisiana/ Old Governor's Mansion
  Manship Theatre/ LSU MOA
  Capitol Park Museum
  Old State Capitol
  River Center Events
  LASM
  USS KIDD

10. Strategic Plan

11. Ongoing Projects

img-spacer.gif CPEX
img-spacer.gif BREADA
img-spacer.gif DBA

12. Correspondence

13. Public Comment

Plan BR may have been my 1st Topic ever started here  on UP...It took a while after posting so much in BR Growth/Development thread when i started;   NCB (Nate) who started Louisiana NOLA/BR Forums helped me get it going

Great article...lengthy.....Plan BR was started 20 years ago...what a success it has been putting pieces of the puzzle together! Still unfinished...looking forward seeing what's next!

Starting w Consolidating State Office Buildings near Capitol Park;  Shaw Center for the Arts & Hilton Capitol Center; North Blvd Town Square; II City Plaza; Commerce Bldg & Cap One Bldg.  renovation; Super Market ; IBM Block; etc...

Plan Baton Rouge scores big in its 20-year quest to revitalize downtown

https://www.businessreport.com/politics/plan-baton-rouge-downtown-20-years

In June 1998, Baton Rouge embarked on one of the most comprehensive and significant planning processes in its history—a citywide effort aimed at transforming its dying downtown into a New Urbanist-inspired vision of a walkable, vibrant community where a diverse population could live, work and play.

image.thumb.png.555bfc7d18ed18c8d447875d3c8a4d5c.png

Edited by richyb83

• 4 weeks later...
DDD Commission Meeting
June 12, 2018 8:00 a.m.
Shaw Center for the Arts, Hartley/Vey Studio Theatre

AGENDA

1. Call to Order

2. Declare Quorum

3. Approve Agenda

4. Approve May 8th, 2018 Minutes

5. Board Action

6. Governmental Issues

River Center Theatre Plaza Charrette
  Riverfront Plaza
  Town Square Phase II
  New Business

9. Events

Christ in the City Lunch Concert - June 15
  Baton Rouge Oyster Festival - June 30
  African American Museum Juneteenth Festival - June 16
  Baton Rouge Pride Festival - June 16
  USS KIDD's 4th of July Spectacular - July 4th
  Baton Rouge Concert Band - July 4th
  Manship Theatre/ LSU MOA
  Capitol Park Museum
  Old State Capitol
  River Center Events
  LASM
  USS KIDD

10. Strategic Plan

11. Ongoing Projects

img-spacer.gif CPEX
img-spacer.gif BREADA
img-spacer.gif DBA

12. Correspondence

13. Public Comment

14. Trolley Tour of Select Developments

2 hours ago, mr. bernham said:

I hope they stop building that hideous library and tear it down. Build something classical and beautiful in its place. 

I said I was going to stop talking about it but since you brought it up first that makes it ok for me to add... But yeah the petty side of me says whenever someone follows through with a bad plan abnormal issues end up happening to teach the person a lesson. On the other hand though, it is kind of embarrassing for them to have fought for this for it to have structural issues. 

4 hours ago, dan326 said:

I said I was going to stop talking about it but since you brought it up first that makes it ok for me to add... But yeah the petty side of me says whenever someone follows through with a bad plan abnormal issues end up happening to teach the person a lesson. On the other hand though, it is kind of embarrassing for them to have fought for this for it to have structural issues. 

I agree. I just feel that with Galvez Plaza, and the NB Town Square, we were building a real civic center for Baton Rouge. The City Hall, the River Center Theater, and now the failed new library really are out of place, ugly, and just ruin that civic center. The structural failure of the new library just shows they should've gone with something better. 

On 6/7/2018 at 11:59 PM, mr. bernham said:

I agree. I just feel that with Galvez Plaza, and the NB Town Square, we were building a real civic center for Baton Rouge. The City Hall, the River Center Theater, and now the failed new library really are out of place, ugly, and just ruin that civic center.

Are you saying the City Hall & River Center Theatre are out of place in the Civic Center too?

A lot  of people think the City Hall brutalist architectural style is hideous

What is your opinion of the Shaw Center for the Arts architectural   style??

The new green space does look nice at Galvez Plaza

On 6/9/2018 at 11:49 PM, richyb83 said:

Are you saying the City Hall & River Center Theatre are out of place in the Civic Center too?

A lot  of people think the City Hall brutalist architectural style is hideous

What is your opinion of the Shaw Center for the Arts architectural   style??

The new green space does look nice at Galvez Plaza

Yes I am. By out of place I mean they do not fit with the original (and beautiful) city court house, the old state capitol, and the new district court house tower. They also do not fit with the green space at Galvez Plaza. Their brutalist style is just not a great fit and is depressingly imposing on the site.  All three buildings (library, city hall, and theater) are rather quite hideous buildings. 

The Shaw Center is a gorgeous building that gets modernism right. It's light and beautiful. It partakes in a lovely architectural dialogue with the Hilton Hotel, the beautifully detailed brick warehouse it sits partly on top of, and of course the old state capitol building. The only thing I would add/change would be to turn the empty lot in front of it into a beautifully landscaped park with a terrace and stairs that lead down to the river front and open up a vista that extends to the river. I'd also close the street in front of the Center's entrance to cars and make it a pedestrian only street. 

• Like 1

I actually like City Hall, I just think the exterior needs to be thoroughly cleaned. I do think the River Center has that basic, 70's, let's just stamp something out quick look. It'd be nice if they could re-skin it like Patrick Taylor.

Edited by dan326

7 hours ago, dan326 said:

I actually like City Hall, I just think the exterior needs to be thoroughly cleaned. I do think the River Center has that basic, 70's, let's just stamp something out quick look. It'd be nice if they could re-skin it like Patrick Taylor.

I just think it looks like an office tower. Not a civic building. The River Center looks pretty rough too. 

If the City Hall was just a normal office tower, it would be fine, hell, I'd probably even like it. But it doesn't work as a city hall. A city hall should be a grand public building that elevates the individual and makes them feel apart of something grand and greater than themselves. The current City Hall works just fine as an office building, but it doesn't achieve the purpose it's name bestows upon it.

7 hours ago, mr. bernham said:

I just think it looks like an office tower. Not a civic building. The River Center looks pretty rough too. 

If the City Hall was just a normal office tower, it would be fine, hell, I'd probably even like it. But it doesn't work as a city hall. A city hall should be a grand public building that elevates the individual and makes them feel apart of something grand and greater than themselves. The current City Hall works just fine as an office building, but it doesn't achieve the purpose it's name bestows upon it.

Yeah that makes sense when you put it like that. Well maybe in 80 years when they'll have already gone through another remodel they'll consider rebuilding it although by then I fear it'll have moved from outdated to vintage to "a classic example of the era" status lol!

Edited by dan326

On 6/11/2018 at 5:16 AM, mr. bernham said:

Yes I am. By out of place I mean they do not fit with the original (and beautiful) city court house, the old state capitol, and the new district court house tower. They also do not fit with the green space at Galvez Plaza. Their brutalist style is just not a great fit and is depressingly imposing on the site.  All three buildings (library, city hall, and theater) are rather quite hideous buildings. 

The Shaw Center is a gorgeous building that gets modernism right. It's light and beautiful. It partakes in a lovely architectural dialogue with the Hilton Hotel, the beautifully detailed brick warehouse it sits partly on top of, and of course the old state capitol building. The only thing I would add/change would be to turn the empty lot in front of it into a beautifully landscaped park with a terrace and stairs that lead down to the river front and open up a vista that extends to the river. I'd also close the street in front of the Center's entrance to cars and make it a pedestrian only street. 

You make good points....i happen to think Shaw Center & Old State Capitol contrast compliment each other very well...about as two cool a buildings as you will see anywhere in the U.S.:shades:     Seems people either Love or hate the Shaw Center,

Not a fan of most Brutalist architecture either(interesting/weird Era )...City Hall (Governmental Bldg.) is so-so for me.... the Theatre is not very attractive but supposed to get a nice upgrade. The River Center (arena) is plenty outdated; it would make for massive renovations for improvement. ....i do like the the nice job they did on the Expansion...

image.thumb.png.d23d075a46e47a4fabb807525a6182c8.png

Glad it's not "Archived" w old threads....last post by Antrell in June 2015' back on PAGE 4

HERE is a thread i made nearly 12 years ago ((hard to believe)) of the vacant property...BR Water Works in front of Shaw Center....it's historic so they will leave it alone...i recommended a small tourist attraction like a RiverArium (aquarium) w native Louisiana species

CLICK ARROW....Hmmm new feature...

image.thumb.png.c2434860291b0f7e55619991939b6dd8.png

Sorry did not mean to show this Twice

>>I also think they should have painted the 100' ft tall Water Tower "Red" for the Red Stick...but that too is historic...only pale white will do:rolleyes: they say.

Here was an idea from Trahan architects  of a sleek glass office tower that never happened either...you can see the shapes of Shaw Center & Old State Capitol (right) in the background

image.png.f0dba209b61890886552460d4c7dbcd5.png

Edited by richyb83

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cool Lamar Digital Billboard along I-10 near City Park Lake advertising Wampold's new mixed use with Residential in the Chase Bank Tower...driving a bit too fast keeping eye on the road...need to locate....nice rendering :shades:

DDD Commission Meeting
August 14, 2018 8:00 a.m.
Riverfront Gallery at the Center for Coastal & Deltaic Solutions - The Water Campus

AGENDA

1. Call to Order

2. Declare Quorum

3. Approve Agenda

4. Approve June 12th, 2018 Minutes

5. Board Action

6. Governmental Issues

Water Campus Update
  I-10 Projects
  CATS Initiatives
  Opportunity Zones
  Downtown Sewer Improvements Public Meeting
  Valencia Park Residential Development
  River Center Theatre Plaza Charrette
  Riverfront Plaza
  Town Square Phase II
  New Businesses

9. Events

The Big Welcome concert: LSU / SU / BRCC - August 17
  Sickle Cell Run - August 25
  Common Ground - August 27
  GymFit Fest - September 1
  Baton Rouge Arts Market - September 1
  Hype Fitness Series - September 4
  Heart Health Walk - September 11
  Manship Theatre/ LSU MOA
  Capitol Park Museum
  Old State Capitol
  River Center Events
  LASM
  USS KIDD

10. Strategic Plan

11. Ongoing Projects

img-spacer.gif CPEX
img-spacer.gif BREADA
img-spacer.gif DBA

12. Correspondence

13. Public Comment

It's not the original 4-story building with LAGC no longer in the mix...(LBC will occupy 3 floors) ....but it should look nice up on the streetscape better than vacant parking lot!

Hopefully Lofts at 6C could be catalyst for more development...a game changer

A MESSAGE FROM THE DDD
LA%20CONTRACTOR_2.jpg
img-spacer.gif
DEVELOPMENT UPDATE
construction CONTINUES Downtown!

Construction downtown over the past several years has been booming, and it's not over yet!!! 47 projects are either planned or under construction and more will be coming soon. Whether on your lunch break, attending an event, or just enjoying the sites and activity downtown, check out the progress on a few of these upcoming developments.

LA STATE LICENSING BOARD FOR CONTRACTORS (pictured above) - Located on the corner of 6th Street and North Street, this building is going to transform the previously vacant surface parking lot. Designed by Remson, Haley, & Herpin Architects and constructed by Ratcliff Construction.

LOFTS6C_2.jpg

LOFTS @ 6C (pictured above) - This 142-unit apartment complex is currently being constructed on Sixth Street between Florida and Convention Street and is expected to welcome new residents soon! It is also transforming a once vacant surface parking lot and is adjacent to Convention Street Park. This development is led by local developer John O. Hearin, and constructed by Womack Construction.

ELYSIANII_2.jpg

ELYSIAN II (pictured above) - Bringing an additional 100 residential units to Downtown East, the Elysian II development is led by Gulf Coast Housing Partnership. It is located at the intersection of North 13th Street and Spanish Town Road.

COURTYARD2.jpg

COURTYARD BY MARRIOTT (pictured above) - Located on the prominent corner of Third Street and Florida Street, the Courtyard By Marriott will bring an additional 135 hotel rooms and a Starbucks to the heart of the Central Business District. This is the second hotel development in Downtown Baton Rouge by Windsor Aughtry Company. It is designed by Bounds and Gillespie Architects and constructed by Ratcliff Construction. The hotel is scheduled to open in late September.

To learn more about these projects and what's going on downtown, check out our website and the Downtown Development Toolkit at the links below!

img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif toolkit >> img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif website >> img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif
  • Like 1