Plan Baton Rouge

richyb83

I'm not a fan of the parking lot idea.   I'd like to see it put to better use than that...even if it is just a 3 or 4 level office or residential building flanking a parking deck.

Streets in downtown Baton Rouge are narrow, with limited capacity for both pedestrians or vehicles.  Buildings over 12 stories would be rare if demand were triple what it is now.....but the 4th and Main intersection would be more ideal for a large building that generates a lot of traffic than most of downtown.

Maybe 4th street in that area needs a public parking deck to alleviate some of the parking hassles, but there is one across the street.

What does the height of a building have to do with streets being to narrow?

I'm not trying to come on strong or anything, but I don't see why a developer cant come in and develop a few  20-30 story buildings on those empty lots when there is enough demand? I'm not saying fill every block with buildings more then 12 stories, but at least get the skyline looking a little better then what it is now...

Edited by steve3n8

What does the height of a building have to do with streets being to narrow?

I'm not trying to come on strong or anything, but I don't see why a developer cant come in and develop a few 20-30 story buildings on those empty lots when there is enough demand? I'm not saying fill every block with buildings more then 12 stories, but at least get the skyline looking a little better then what it is now...

There is some debate over what is asthetically or architecturally acceptable ratios of building height to street width including setbacks.

My biggest concern and the concern of planners in my particular city is that a tall building, such as a 30 story tower with thousands or office workers creates a bottle neck on a narrow street (like 3rd) where it might be okay on a wider street (like convention or 4th). Large towers are essentially single entrance vertical subdivisions when you think of it like that. They are not appropriate for every block.

I think I'd personallay prefer to see 2 or 3 twelve story buildings instead of one large tower. I think more density with a more wide dispursment of pedestrian and vehicular traffic is more helpful for urban neighborhoods than height of the buildings. Larger buildings create more "point loads" to the infrastructure.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 2

We will probably never see a 30+ story tall office building in Baton Rouge. Residential towers with that many tenants don't have nearly as much traffic as office towers. Especially with a hotel, many of the hotel guests don't bring cars.

The benefit of multiple buildings gives the ability to spread development around.

• 2 weeks later...
Another apartment complex planned downtown

Yet another new apartment complex is under development downtown and slated to open next fall. Forty on Fifth, a four-story apartment building developed by Commercial Properties Realty Trust, will offer 40 one- and two-bedroom units at 405 North Fifth St. 40 on 5th LLC recently filed a permit for the new building with the city-parish Department of Public Works. According to the development's website, it will offer four different floor plans, which are subject to change. Each floor will house five one-bedroom units, which average 697 square feet; one "convertible" unit, which average 701 square feet and add what appears to be a small office space; two "one bedroom plus den" units, which average 843 square feet; and a pair of two-bedroom units, which average 1,045 square feet. All apartments feature granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, washer and dryer, custom-built kitchen islands, hardwood floors, SMART Home technology with Internet and cable TV included, ceiling fans, and balconies overlooking Fifth and Laurel streets. Residents will have access to a rooftop patio and grilling area, an onsite fitness center and a secured onsite parking garage. Commercial Properties Realty Trust spokesperson Tina Rance did not return a call for comment in time for publication. Also downtown, Commercial Properties is developing 525 Lafayette, the luxury residential component to the IBM complex, and redeveloping the Onyx building on Convention and Third streets into The Onyx Residences, on which it began construction a month ago. —Rachel Alexander

Businessreport.com

Yes that's the same lot that was supposed to be the Brownstones.....nice to see something finally happening at the corner of Laurel/Fifth Street...a residential renaissance taking place! Looking forward to seeing a new rendering like at the Onyxx bldg

We were stoked with the original plan back in 06'...the mixed-use 19-story Laurel Tower w a massive 640-space parking garage; Regions Bank offices(that went to II City Plaza instead) and about 40 residential-units on top....unfortunately that fell thru during the Great Recession

>>>Had old PICS of BOTH Laurel Tower & Brownstones ready to Copy & Paste here for UP...but Business Report has Horded Rights  + Imageshack wants(as of Nov 7th) me to now LOG IN/SIGN/UP...but it's experiencing difficulties...been trying at this for nearly an hour...straight up SUCKS! :sick:

Here is the page w renderings of Laurel Tower & the Brownstones

http://businessreport.com/article/20110613/BUSINESSREPORT0401/120419962

*click to enlarge* top/center photo>Laurel Tower....bottom/center>Brownstones

• Like 1

DDD Commission Meeting
November 12, 2013, 8:00 a.m.
USS KIDD Museum, 305 S. River Road.

AGENDA

1. Call to Order

2. Declare Quorum

3. Approve Agenda

4. Approve October 15, Minutes

5. Board Action

a. 2014 DDD Budget

6. Update from Previous Board Meeting

a. Governmental Issues

b. Development Initiatives

• Commerce Building Update
  • Third Street Projects Update
  • Downtown Beautification Initiatives
  • Downtown Greenway Update
  • North Boulevard Town Square Update
  • Downtown Bike Racks
  • CATS Program Manager Interviews
  • BR Walls Update
  • Downtown Residential Checklist Update
  • Special Events Procedures and Guidelines
  • Triumph Kitchen Update
  • Events
    o Stroube's Dinner - Nov. 13
    o Belle of Baton Rouge Concerts / Boxing - Nov. 15,22,28,30 & Dec. 6
    o Fleur Du Jour Holiday Wreath Design Class - Nov. 13, 15
    o Kress Gallery Presents Blue Period - Nov. 15
    o Born to Run - Nov. 16
    o Fleur Du Jour Open Holiday Open House - Nov. 22
    o Turkey Trot - Nov. 28
    o Festival of Lights / Reindeer Run - Dec. 6
    o B. R. Arts Market - Dec. 7,14,21
    o Capitol Park Museum
    o Old State Capitol
    o Foundation for Historical Louisiana/Old Governor's Mansion
    o Manship Theatre Events / LSU MOA
    o River Center Events / BRSO
    o LASM

7. Strategic Plan

a. Plan Baton Rouge II

8. Ongoing Projects

• CPEX
  • BREADA

9. Correspondence

10. Public Comment

Yes that's the same lot that was supposed to be the Brownstones.....nice to see something finally happening at the corner of Laurel/Fifth Street...a residential renaissance taking place! Looking forward to seeing a new rendering like at the Onyxx bldg

We were stoked with the original plan back in 06'...the mixed-use 19-story Laurel Tower w a massive 640-space parking garage; Regions Bank offices(that went to II City Plaza instead) and about 40 residential-units on top....unfortunately that fell thru during the Great Recession

>>>Had old PICS of BOTH Laurel Tower & Brownstones ready to Copy & Paste here for UP...but Business Report has Horded Rights  + Imageshack wants(as of Nov 7th) me to now LOG IN/SIGN/UP...but it's experiencing difficulties...been trying at this for nearly an hour...straight up SUCKS! :sick:

Here is the page w renderings of Laurel Tower & the Brownstones

http://businessreport.com/article/20110613/BUSINESSREPORT0401/120419962

*click to enlarge* top/center photo>Laurel Tower....bottom/center>Brownstones

A development like the Brownstones I believe should be in MidCity instead of Downtown. I just think we need to see more High rises in the Downtown area and 3-5 story buildings lined up along MidCity streets like Government, North, and Florida!

• Like 2

Agreed Steve! Would like to see 4 & 5 story buildings in Mid City too. As you work your way westward toward the downtown core; gradually start going up higher...North Blvd between the RR. Overpass & I-110...and then btwn Fifth & Seventh Street's go 5 to 8....7 to 11 along Third Street corridor...then of course a vertical neighborhood for the "riverfront"....tall enough to make a distinct mark on the skyline! :shades:

• Like 1

Duany: Vitality of youth should drive development

Cities looking to revitalize need to cut red tape and allow young people to "make it cool" and "get things done," says prominent planner Andrés Duany. Duany, best known locally for his role in Plan Baton Rouge 15 years ago, spoke Monday at the opening night of the 2013 Smart Growth Summit. "If you don't make it cool first, then you have to do public-private partnerships, because the developers who are coming in are coming in too early," he said. While such partnerships and tax incentives once were abnormal, now developers have "all this government largesse lined up before they even look at the project," Duany said. "Is that how we built America? … Public-private partnership is a symptom of not allowing the vitality of youth to come in and do the work." According to Duany, "Detroit is the coolest place of all," because the city doesn't have the wherewithal to enforce expensive and burdensome rules. "The young people can actually start businesses," he said. "The inspectors show up and say, 'Don't hurt yourselves.'" The summit, hosted by the Center for Planning Excellence, continues today and Wednesday at the Shaw Center downtown, which was built through a complex partnership and which Duany praised as "luxurious" and "a diamond." Duany is partaking in a summit seminar this morning focused on urbanism, and later today other officials will discuss the public-private partnership that enticed IBM to bring a services center to Baton Rouge. See the full schedule of events. —David Jacobs

Bussinessreport.com

• 3 weeks later...

DDD Commission Meeting
December 10, 2013, 8:00 a.m.Hilton Capitol Center, 201 Lafayette Street
AGENDA

1. Call to Order
2. Declare Quorum
3. Approve Agenda
4. Approve November 12, Minutes
5. Board Action

6. Update from Previous Board Meeting
a. Governmental Issues
b. Development Initiatives
• Capital One Building Update
• Onyx Residential Update
• Downtown Greenway Update
• North Boulevard Town Square Update

• St. Joseph Cathedral Renovations/Additions
• Downtown Bike Racks
• CATS Program Manager Selection
• American Heart Association Walking Paths
• UDC Design Levels
• Downtown Marketing Materials
• Special Events Procedures and Guidelines
• Year End Review

• Events
o Christmas Parade- Dec. 14
o B. R. Arts Market - Dec. 14,21
o Cambodia Craft Sale - Dec. 15
o Arts Council Workshop - Dec. 19
o Belle of Baton Rouge Concerts / Boxing - Dec. 20,27,31, Jan 3, 10
o Red Stick Revelry - Dec. 31
o Laurel Street Palooza - Jan. 10
o Capitol Park Museum
o Foundation for Historical Louisiana/Old Governor's Mansion
o Manship Theatre Events / LSU MOA
o River Center Events / BRSO
o LASM

7. Strategic Plan
a. Plan Baton Rouge II
8. Ongoing Projects
• CPEX
• BREADA
9. Correspondence
10. Public Comment

Edited by richyb83

NOLA.com (BR version....they should call themselves BRLA) article on Matherne's.

http://www.nola.com/news/baton-rouge/index.ssf/2013/12/downtown_getting_grocery_store.html

At 15,000 square feet, it will be closer in size to Trader Joe's or Bet-R than a typical Matherne's.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That's the difference between Louisiana and other states though. It seems in other states when something gets old and worn out they just tear it down to make room for another one. 

Also, if you're going to play the historic card you think they'd put a nice hotel there that could really showcase the history. Everything else is exciting though. I wish I would hear something about the downtown greenway soon though.

Edited by Renzo