a. Plan Baton Rouge II
8. Ongoing Projects
• CPEX
• BREADA
9. Correspondence
10. Public Comment

• 3 weeks later...

Apartments, not beer garden, now planned for Richoux Building

Plans for a rooftop beer garden atop the Richoux Building at 302 N. Third St. downtown have been scrapped because of logistical challenges associated with opening a bar on the roof of the iconic structure, best known for its giant, neon Coca-Cola sign. But owner Mike Crouch, who purchased the building last March for $1.2 million, has new plans for the 3,000-square-foot, second-floor space: Three concierge-style apartments that will be fully furnished and decorated and available for short- or long-term lease. "They are going to be high-end apartments with everything provided—appliances, furnishings, maid service," he says. "It's perfect for corporate leases and brings more activity downtown." Crouch, who is using historic building tax credits to help fund the renovation, says he wanted to do the beer garden but "there is too much that would have to be done on the roof and below it to support it, and with the tax credits it wasn't feasible." Crouch declines to comment on the status of the Raising Cane's that, as Daily Report has previously reported, is in the works for the building's 8,000-square-foot, first-floor space. A Cane's spokesman in Dallas did not reply to several requests for comment today on the status of the project, which would be the chain's first downtown restaurant. Crouch expects to make an announcement on the beginning of construction in February and says the apartments—two one-bedroom units and one studio—should be completed before the end of the year. —Stephanie Riegel

http://www.businessreport.com/section/daily-reportPM

• Like 2

Baton Rouge's Original Skyscraper....Constructed in 1926

A company set up by the Baton Rouge Area Foundation was the high bidder for the State Office Building at 150 Third St., pledging $10.25 million for the property.

BRAF President and CEO John Davies said the organization has ideas for the future of the office building but wouldn’t say anything until all planning is done.

“In acquiring this building, we are very pleased to continue a partnership with the state of Louisiana on projects that improve East Baton Rouge Parish,” Davies said. “As we did in rehabbing the Capitol House into a Hilton, we are purchasing this building to produce a social benefit — putting it back into commerce to continue the revival of downtown as prescribed by Plan Baton Rouge.”

BRAF has played a role in many downtown developments, from the Shaw Center for the Arts, to the IBM service center and residential tower under construction on Lafayette Street to the Water Campus on the old Municipal Docks just south of the Mississippi River Bridge.

The State Office Building is across Third Street from The Onyx building, which is being redeveloped by Commercial Properties Realty Trust, which manages and develops BRAF’s property holdings. Commercial Properties will spend $6 million to redevelop the property, which has been renamed The Onyx Residences. Plans are to have 28 one- and two-bedroom apartments built above 5,600 square feet of commercial space.

The Onyx Residences and the State Office Building are two of several redevelopment projects underway along Third Street, Rhorer said. Plans are underway to turn The Commerce Building into a mixed-use property with about 92 loft apartments, a private events deck and a rooftop restaurant. Work has started on 440 on Third, which will turn the former Capital One Bank building into an apartment/office building with a Matherne’s Supermarket on the ground floor.

“There will be a transformation of this Third Street corridor the likes of which we have never seen before,” Rhorer said. “In several years, this will be a totally different street.”

o74b.jpg

*rest of article*

http://theadvocate.com/home/8245692-125/state-br-buidling-attracts-1025

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 1

Yes indeed Steve! Could not have posted that any better myself!  The next new hotel should be newly built from the ground up! A Marriott-sized high-rise hotel ! For the state building...possibly offices on the lower floors & residential for the upper floors....

Wish they would scrap the plans for the Holiday Inn Express at the old EBRATS site...

Never been inside the state building...but I have made my way on the top of the roof one time for some pics to post here on UP....great view!

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 1

I'm actually fairly excited for the Holiday Inn Express. Given the location, however, an HI Select might have been more appropriate. 

I do stay at HIE frequently (almost exclusively when I'm on the road) and have only rarely had a bad experience. They aren't hip, like Hotel Indigo, or fancy like the Hilton. But uncool, regular people need places to stay, too. 

Edited by garrett_225

I'm actually fairly excited for the Holiday Inn Express. Given the location, however, an HI Select might have been more appropriate. 

I do stay at HIE frequently (almost exclusively when I'm on the road) and have only rarely had a bad experience. They aren't hip, like Hotel Indigo, or fancy like the Hilton. But uncool, regular people need places to stay, too. 

That's what the new Hampton Inn is for a few blocks away :silly: it's not too hip ...jk

DDD Commission Meeting
February 11, 2014, 8:00 a.m.
Capitol Park Museum, 660 N. Fourth Street
AGENDA
1. Call to Order
2. Declare Quorum
3. Approve Agenda
4. Approve January 14, 2014 Minutes
5. Board Action
a. Nominating Committee
6. Update from Previous Board Meeting
a. Governmental Issues
b. Development Initiatives
• River District
• Commerce Building
• Construction Updates
• State Office Building Acquisition
• 326 Third Street Development
• House on the Hill
• I-10/I-110 Underpass Improvements
• City Hall Plaza
• Downtown Greenway Update
• North Boulevard Town Square Update
• BREC Strategic Planning Meeting
• New Business

o Monochrome
o The Front Door Architecture
• Events
o Mardi Gras Mambo - Feb. 15
o Mardi Gras Parades - Feb. 15, 21, 22, & March 1
o Live After Five Line - Up Announcement - Feb. 28
o Mardi Gras Festival - March 1
o Capitol Park Museum
o Foundation for Historical Louisiana/Old Governor's Mansion
o Manship Theatre Events / LSU MOA
o Old State Capitol - Our Quilted Past Exhibit
o River Center Events / BRSO
o LASM
7. Strategic Plan
a. Plan Baton Rouge II
8. Ongoing Projects
• CPEX
• BREADA
9. Correspondence
10. Public Comment

I think the old State building would be a good place for apartments or a hotel if they could make it work.

I'd honestly rather see apartments.

It's a very pretty building on the outside. I haven't seen much of the interior.

Edited by cajun
  • Like 1

Announced back in early November...interested in seeing the new renderings of the proposed residential project..."Forty on Fifth"....by Commercial Properties...the same group building the 11-story IBM Residences a few blocks away....

Wish I could give a visual on the location  :shades:  Had a pic of the vacant property/parking lot at the corner of Laurel & Fifth Street from years back...but the pic is on my old computer...will have to retrieve that one day

This was the original proposal...the mixed-use Laurel Tower...then the great recession hit...those big plans were scrapped...you can see the north Chase Tower(Riverside North) on the left edge of rendering

ag4v.jpg

Then came the proposal for The Brownstones...even a special thread was made here on UP...Nice concept...but at the wrong location...the Iberville state bldg. shown in background

0y44.jpg

That did not work out.....so now we have Forty on Fifth...which will have 40 residential units....it will only be 4 floors....something around 7-stories would have worked out better; given this particular location...will be interesting to see the design.

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 1

Announced back in early November...interested in seeing the new renderings of the proposed residential project..."Forty on Fifth"....by Commercial Properties...the same group building the 11-story IBM Residences a few blocks away....

Wish I could give a visual on the location  :shades:  Had a pic of the vacant property/parking lot at the corner of Laurel & Fifth Street from years back...but the pic is on my old computer...will have to retrieve that one day

This was the original proposal...the mixed-use Laurel Tower...then the great recession hit...those big plans were scrapped...you can see the north Chase Tower(Riverside North) on the left edge of rendering

ag4v.jpg

Then came the proposal for The Brownstones...even a special thread was made here on UP...Nice concept...but at the wrong location...the Iberville state bldg. shown in background

0y44.jpg

That did not work out.....so now we have Forty on Fifth...which will have 40 residential units....it will only be 4 floors....something around 7-stories would have worked out better; given this particular location...will be interesting to see the design.

I wish someone could fund the original project, that visual reminds me of the pre-recession years. The optimism and clean edges, very Shaw Center like. 

• Like 1

True timelordnerd! Was stoked when that project colossal project was first announced...wish they could re-visit the idea with all of the momentum taking place downtown!

Here is another development about to take place a few blocks away...has to be a "block" before it becomes a village....

CreativeBloc22.jpg

CreativeBloc111.jpg

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 1

True timelordnerd! Was stoked when that project colossal project was first announced...wish they could re-visit the idea with all of the momentum taking place downtown!

Here is another development about to take place a few blocks away...has to be a "block" before it becomes a village....

CreativeBloc22.jpg

CreativeBloc111.jpg

FINALLY!!!! It's about time we had one of these. 

If Forty on Fifth is only going to be 4-stories...might something like this work??

gos4.jpg

ag4v.jpg

0y44.jpg

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 1