Plan Baton Rouge

richyb83

should we let blocks sit in the heart of downtown undeveloped and rotting away?

Kid calm down, if this cities downtown keeps going like it is, those blocks will not stay empty for long. There is no need to have government come in a develop them, when that happens normally government F**k's it up. Just give the city time and you will start to see the downtown becoming better, from my perspective it already looks great. 

Also I'm not sure you guy's know this, but I read a report on Skyscraper-city and apparently this city is the most tree covered city in North America, thought that would be a nice little feather in the hat fact.

• Like 1

Would you sell your property for cut prices to make it more affordable for some big business to build and make an easy profit?

Yes, for the sake of development I would. That's how much I care about downtown development, I would let a company rip me off so Baton Rouge could become a bigger city. 

Yes, for the sake of development I would. That's how much I care about downtown development, I would let a company rip me off so Baton Rouge could become a bigger city. 

Of course I apologize profusely if I'm incorrect, but it sure sounds like you've never worked to pay for anything more expensive than a pair of Beats by Dre. There's no other explanation for why someone could be so fully unaware of the meaning of money.

I'm sure more than a few of Baton Rouge's largest real estate investors would love to have your parents fork over the deed to the home they've worked hard to put over your head. All for the sake of Baton Rouge, though! Hear! Hear!

Edited by garrett_225

And to answer your question: We should leave redevelopment to private investment, because the private sector has proven time and time again that they can do it more quickly, more cheaply, and better than government could ever hope to. 

Edited by garrett_225

(I wish UP would let me quote posts or at least cut and paste them...I am using IE11, anyone else have this problem?)

In response to your post Garrett, the private sector can do it quicker and cheaper, however occasionally it does take an investment from the Government to generate favorable market conditions and buzz. The Shaw Center and Hilton TIFF, TIFF that was correctly used to redevelop an impoverished area (not these BS tiff's used to build shopping centers in BFE), renewed two blocks of downtown and generated private investment near it that would have otherwise never occurred. The private investment those projects generated, as well as recent generational shifts that prefer urban areas, downtown and the surrounding areas will be a hot bed of activity for decades to come.

(I wish UP would let me quote posts or at least cut and paste them...I am using IE11, anyone else have this problem?)

In response to your post Garrett, the private sector can do it quicker and cheaper, however occasionally it does take an investment from the Government to generate favorable market conditions and buzz. The Shaw Center and Hilton TIFF, TIFF that was correctly used to redevelop an impoverished area (not these BS tiff's used to build shopping centers in BFE), renewed two blocks of downtown and generated private investment near it that would have otherwise never occurred. The private investment those projects generated, as well as recent generational shifts that prefer urban areas, downtown and the surrounding areas will be a hot bed of activity for decades to come.

Just look at Downtown Atlanta, after Centennial Park (which was private I believe) the entire region began moving up in terms of development. Baton Rouge seems like a lot of developments downtown could lead in the same direction. 

(And apparently I can't link URL's either...)

Centennial Olympic Park was a public project created with the intention of spurring private development. While were discussing parks, Central Park was created for the same reason, spur private investment by raising property values on underutilized property adjacent to the proposed park.

Centennial Olympic Park was a public project created with the intention of spurring private development. While were discussing parks, Central Park was created for the same reason, spur private investment by raising property values on underutilized property adjacent to the proposed park.

I don't know what's wrong on your side of the screen. Maybe contact Neo.

The City Park and Memorial Stadium properties could use a nice facelift.

Centennial Olympic Park was a public project created with the intention of spurring private development. While were discussing parks, Central Park was created for the same reason, spur private investment by raising property values on underutilized property adjacent to the proposed park.{sodEmoji.|}

Sounds like Baton Rouge could use something like that, I know they have the NBTS but I find that it's a little disconnected from the whole of Downtown. What if they made something like the Victory park that was proposed and call it Tricentennial Park in honor of the cities Tricentennial (1719-2019).

Of course I apologize profusely if I'm incorrect, but it sure sounds like you've never worked to pay for anything more expensive than a pair of Beats by Dre. There's no other explanation for why someone could be so fully unaware of the meaning of money.

I'm sure more than a few of Baton Rouge's largest real estate investors would love to have your parents fork over the deed to the home they've worked hard to put over your head. All for the sake of Baton Rouge, though! Hear! Hear!

You can't talk to him like that! Don't you know he's bringing in the PanAm games to BR?

But seriously, yeah, not sure what to think of someone who actually believes city government should confiscate private property. This isn't communist China for Christs sake.

I would agree in terms of public projects...parks, greenways, transportation, centers for the arts, etc. If it's something that the private sector should realistically handle, like hotels and Costco's, apartments, etc., that's a totally different story. The TIF thing is getting taken too far. Totally unfair to businesses that invested without the lure of the TIF. 

I'm really excited to get back to BR and throw my own private investment into downtown. Gonna fix me up one of them cottages real nice :)) You're on point!

I would agree in terms of public projects...parks, greenways, transportation, centers for the arts, etc. If it's something that the private sector should realistically handle, like hotels and Costco's, apartments, etc., that's a totally different story. The TIF thing is getting taken too far. Totally unfair to businesses that invested without the lure of the TIF. 

I'm really excited to get back to BR and throw my own private investment into downtown. Gonna fix me up one of them cottages real nice :)) You're on point!

Can't wait to *hopefully* see pictures! Any hint as to where it may be?

• 2 weeks later...

To: DDD Commission
Downtown Stakeholders

DDD Commission Meeting, Agenda
Our May DDD Commission Meeting will be held on May 13th, 2014, 8:00 a.m. in the Lyceum Ballroom. Join us to discuss a number of exciting projects including Riverfront Plaza Improvements, North Boulevard Town Square Phase II, and numerous new business/project announcements.

We will begin promptly at 8 a.m. Please mark your calendars to attend this important meeting. Attached is the agenda for your perusal.

See you on Tuesday, and please let me know if you have any questions.

Parking Map

Add to calendar

Thanks,
Davis
[email protected]

DDD Commission Meeting
May 13, 2014, 8:00 a.m.
Lyceum Ballroom, 124 Third Street
AGENDA
1. Call to Order
2. Declare Quorum
3. Approve Agenda
4. Approve March 11, 2014 & April 8, 2014 Minutes
5. Board Action
6. Update from Previous Board Meeting
a. Governmental Issues
• Old LNB Building Redevelopment District
• Skating/Biking Ordinance
b. Development Initiatives
• Riverfront Plaza Improvements
• Parking Meter Upgrade
• Downtown Civic Association
• 310 Convention Street
• City Hall Plaza
• Underpass Parking
• Downtown Greenway Update
• River Road/Riverfront Access Improvements
• North Boulevard Town Square Phase II
• New Businesses
• Events
o Zumba in the Lawn Tuesday's / Thursday's
o Live After Five Line Up - May 16, 22
o Geaux Health and Fitness - May 17
o Sunday in the Park / AIDS Candlelight Memorial - May 18
o Run for the Children - May 24
o Run for Humanity 5K / WHYR Radiopalooza - May 31
o Baton Rouge Arts Market - June 7
o Cambodia Craft Sale - June 8
o Juneteenth - June 14
o Foundation for Historical Louisiana/Old Governor's Mansion
o Manship Theatre Events / LSU MOA
o Capitol Park Museum
o Old State Capitol
o River Center Events
o LASM
o USS Kidd
7. Strategic Plan
a. Plan Baton Rouge II
8. Ongoing Projects
• CPEX
• BREADA
• DBA
9. Correspondence
10. Public Comment

To: DDD Commission

Downtown Stakeholders

DDD Commission Meeting, Agenda

Our May DDD Commission Meeting will be held on May 13th, 2014, 8:00 a.m. in the Lyceum Ballroom. Join us to discuss a number of exciting projects including Riverfront Plaza Improvements, North Boulevard Town Square Phase II, and numerous new business/project announcements.

We will begin promptly at 8 a.m. Please mark your calendars to attend this important meeting. Attached is the agenda for your perusal.

See you on Tuesday, and please let me know if you have any questions.

Parking Map

Add to calendar

Thanks,

Davis

[email protected]

DDD Commission Meeting

May 13, 2014, 8:00 a.m.

Lyceum Ballroom, 124 Third Street

AGENDA

1. Call to Order

2. Declare Quorum

3. Approve Agenda

4. Approve March 11, 2014 & April 8, 2014 Minutes

5. Board Action

6. Update from Previous Board Meeting

a. Governmental Issues

• Old LNB Building Redevelopment District

• Skating/Biking Ordinance

b. Development Initiatives

• Riverfront Plaza Improvements

• Parking Meter Upgrade

• Downtown Civic Association

• 310 Convention Street

• City Hall Plaza

• Underpass Parking

• Downtown Greenway Update

• River Road/Riverfront Access Improvements

• North Boulevard Town Square Phase II

• New Businesses

• Events

o Zumba in the Lawn Tuesday's / Thursday's

o Live After Five Line Up - May 16, 22

o Geaux Health and Fitness - May 17

o Sunday in the Park / AIDS Candlelight Memorial - May 18

o Run for the Children - May 24

o Run for Humanity 5K / WHYR Radiopalooza - May 31

o Baton Rouge Arts Market - June 7

o Cambodia Craft Sale - June 8

o Juneteenth - June 14

o Foundation for Historical Louisiana/Old Governor's Mansion

o Manship Theatre Events / LSU MOA

o Capitol Park Museum

o Old State Capitol

o River Center Events

o LASM

o USS Kidd

7. Strategic Plan

a. Plan Baton Rouge II

8. Ongoing Projects

• CPEX

• BREADA

• DBA

9. Correspondence

10. Public Comment

I wish I could make it, I guess I'll have to wait until the June meeting.

Yeah catching one of the Summer meetings would be nice! :thumbsup:

Downtown to get new meters, 500 new free spaces

The city-parish hopes to start replacing downtown parking meters by the end of the year, says DDD Executive Director Davis Rhorer. The new meters would be payable by credit card and might include a feature that would allow motorists to find open meters with a smartphone app, he says. The price for parking might be increased slightly, Rhorer says, though that change would require Metro Council approval. Downtown also will be gaining 500 free parking spaces under the interstate, he says. Striping already has begun, though security lighting still must be installed.
Also discussed at today's DDD meeting:
• Rhorer touted passage by the Louisiana Senate of a development district for the renovation of the old LNB building into a 146-room hotel. With the new hotel, there would be about 1,000 rooms within walking distance of the River Center, which could help the city land larger conventions. The tax incremental financing district still must be considered by the House.
• Raising Cane's is slated to open downtown May 22. —David Jacobs

http://www.businessreport.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=daily-reportAM&date=

From the Main Street side...

The old Cap One Bldg. transforming into 440 on Third....

(65 residential units/50,000 sq ft office space/over 100 parking spaces & Matherne's Supermarket)

Looking forward to the 9th floor addition on top :shades:

May14080_zps692a97e4.jpg

Edited by richyb83
  • Like 2

Not sure Dan326....

Greed rearing it's ugly head?? You gotta be kiddin' me!  NO WAY the iconic retro Coca-Cola sign should be covered now that Raising Cane's has opened below! :stop:

Iconic downtown Coca-Cola sign remains shrouded in controversy

When Raising Cane's opened its first downtown location Thursday in the historic Richoux Building at the intersection of Florida and Third streets, many people mistakenly assumed the black tarp covering the iconic, neon Coca-Cola sign atop the building was part of the grand opening festivities.

In fact, the building's owner, Mike Crouch, had the sign covered on the eve of Cane's opening because of a dispute over advertising revenues that Crouch's attorney says his client is owed by Coca-Cola.

*rest of article

http://www.businessreport.com/article/20140523/BUSINESSREPORT0112/140529875

Not sure Dan326....

Greed rearing it's ugly head?? You gotta be kiddin' me!  NO WAY the iconic retro Coca-Cola sign should be covered now that Raising Cane's has opened below! :stop:

Iconic downtown Coca-Cola sign remains shrouded in controversy

When Raising Cane's opened its first downtown location Thursday in the historic Richoux Building at the intersection of Florida and Third streets, many people mistakenly assumed the black tarp covering the iconic, neon Coca-Cola sign atop the building was part of the grand opening festivities.

In fact, the building's owner, Mike Crouch, had the sign covered on the eve of Cane's opening because of a dispute over advertising revenues that Crouch's attorney says his client is owed by Coca-Cola.

*rest of article

http://www.businessreport.com/article/20140523/BUSINESSREPORT0112/140529875

Nice follow up to this:

http://theadvocate.com/home/9288283-125/tarp-taken-off-coca-cola-sign