• Downstairs Owner's Suite

• Secondary Owner's Suite

• Ceramic Tile in Kitchen, foyer, and all bath rooms

• Front and Back Covered Porches

• 2 Car Garage and Courtyard

• Spacious Greatroom / Dining Room

• Metal Roof Accents

• Carriage House

Personal Opinion: I was very impressed with what this townhome had to offer. I've never toured a Southwood Townhome, but if they're anything like this one, I'd be very impressed. There was no waisted space in this home, and the quality of construction was noticiably different from the St. Joe built homes. The designers did an excellent job decorating this home, and I thought the carriage house in the back was a very nice touch.

Home #73

Southwood

Price: $749,900

ParadeofHomesPart2036.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2041.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2043.jpg

New Home Features:

• Nice Lake and Golf Course Views

• 4200 Square Feet

• Coffered Ceilings

• Elaborate Moulding

• Commercial Grade Kitchen Appliances

• Large Bedrooms

• Granite Tops

• Designer Lighting and Plumbing Fixtures

Person Opinion: This was a mastry home, and as I've come to expect the quality is sound. The home was not complete inside which is why I didn't take any pictures of the inside of the house. All bedrooms were upstairs which was different, but not necessarily a bad thing considering the whole family will be living on the same floor. In some way that reminded me of the Cosby show. The layout was unique for a boxy looking home. And this unit has already been sold from what I'm told.

Home #71

Southwood

Price: $539,900

ParadeofHomesPart2044.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2045.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2046.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2047.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2049.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2050.jpg

Home Features

• Golf Course View

• 10 Foot Ceilings

• Wideplank Wood flooring

• 4 Beds / 3.5 Bats

• Floor to Celing Cherry Solid Wood Cabinetry

• Grainte Countertops

• Copper Accent Roofing

• Master Bedroom Downstairs

• Playroom and 3 Bedrooms Upstairs

• Open Floorplan

Personal Opinion: This was a traditional Southwood design with a little spice to it on the outside. Honestly, I wasn't expecting to see a house that offered quite this much, but I was pleasantly surprised. The wood flooring was brilliantly done, the open floor plan was unique, almost reminicent of The Cloisters, and the high ceilings gave the home such an upscale feel. Very nice.

Home #63

Southwood

Price: $659,000

ParadeofHomesPart2051.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2055.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2057.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2056.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2054.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2058.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2059.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2061.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2063.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2064.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2066.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2068.jpg

Apartment Room Above Garage

ParadeofHomesPart2065.jpg

Home Features:

• Over 3500 Square Feet

• 3 Car Garage

• Solid White Oak Hardwood Floors

• Natural Gas

• 10-12' Ceilings

• 8' Interior Doors

• Tray Ceilings

• Spacious master bed and bath

• Large His and Her's Closets

• Viking Professional Kitchen

• Prewired for Surround Sound and Internet

• Jacuzzi Tub

• Large Deck with Nice view of Lake

• Zoned Heating and Cooling System

• Rinnai tankless hot water heater

Personal Opinion: This was a quality built home. It didn't show as well as some of the others, but I think that was due to the simplicity of the interior decor. I was told, however, that this home won the Parade's best living room/kitchen combo award. Overall, the house had a practical feel to it, so much so that someone had the odacity to use the bathroom while I was taking pictures. :camera:

Home #74

Southwood

Price: $999,000

ParadeofHomesPart2071.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2072.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2073.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2075.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2076.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2077.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2079.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2081.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2082.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2083.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2084.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2086.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2088.jpg

Home Features:

• 4079 Living Square Feet, 7111 Total

• 5 Bedrooms / 3.5 Baths

• Corner Lot with lake View

• Curve Staircase

• Dome Ceiling with sparkling lights

• 10,000 brick pavers on driveway porch

• Marble throughout main area

• Full wrap around porch

• coffering ceiling in nook

• 22 Columns

• Natural Gas

Personal Opinion: I'm not sure why this home was on the parade. There was more space roped off than there was visable to the viewing public. That said, what I did see didn't awe me as much as I thought a $999,000 house should. There are 3032 wasted square feet in this house, all outdoors in the form of a wrap around porch. This bothers me because I've already been through this with another Southwood home that was just around the corner from this one, and because of the fact that I could make 8 of "my apartments" fit into that wasted space. Looked at the front door and it was very plain, almost cheapish, the decor inside was not what I expected of Aspirant homes, and I didn't even notice the 10,000 brick pavers in the drive. Overall, I was sadly disappointed in this home. But I did enjoy the music on the home's installed surround sound system.

Little tip: It was very kind of this family to allow us to view their home, however, I feel, if you don't want to open up the home completely for the parade, don't participate.

Home # 78

Southwood

Price: $1,400,000

ParadeofHomesPart2093.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2094.jpg

New Home Features

• 6710 Living / 9080 Total Square Feet

• 7 Bedrooms / 6.5 Baths

• 1.3 Acres across the street from the Ball's Southwood Mansion

• All Brick with Paver Driveway

• 10' Ceilings

• Two Story Foyer with Double Curve Stairs

• Outdoor Kitchen with Wetbar

• Concrete Pool with Spa

• Grand Owner's Suite and sitting loft

Personal Opinion: Again, why was this home on the parade? First of all, the YARD was roped off, so the closest I could get to the home was the driveway. I'm not a big fan of the paver driveway's, I think it's another gimmic and a waste of hard earned money. Having said that, I wouldn't be able to tell you if the excess square footage under the roof of this home was wasted or not since I didn't go inside. I'll repeat, it's wonderful that this family has offered their home for the parade, but if you're going to do this, atleast let us see the inside, otherwise you might as well not participate. I can do a drive-by of your home anyday, I'd like to see the inside if you're going to feature it in Tallahassee's parade of homes.

Home #46

Evening Rose

Price: $387,500

ParadeofHomesPart2113.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2115.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2116.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2117.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2119.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2120.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2123.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2127.jpg

Nusery

ParadeofHomesPart2128.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2129.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2130.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2133.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2136.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2137.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2138.jpg

Home Features:

• 1920s style bungalow design

• 1980 heated and cooled / 3100 sq. feet under roof

• 3 bedrooms, 1 nusery, 2.5 baths

• two car garage with carriage house

• screened back porch, spacious front porch

• craftsman millwork and detailing

• natural hardwood floors

• Quartz and Corian countertops

Arrogant man and woman hogging up master bedroom

Personal Opinion: This was my first look at Evening Rose and what a rose indeed! I like the layout of the streets, the trees provide a nice, relaxing atmosphere. The yards are small, but adequate for a busy family that needs just enough room for the family pet. Although the home did have alot of excessive square footage under the roof that wasn't heated and cooled, none of it, In my opinion was wasted. I liked the decor very much, the hardwood floors were very nicely done, the nusery room was very nice, and unique if I might add. Very nice introduction to a very nice up & coming master planned community!

Home #38

Preakness Point

Price: $1,300,000

ParadeofHomesPart2164.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2166.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2170.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2171.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2173.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2174.jpg\

ParadeofHomesPart2177.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2178.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2180.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2181.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2183.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2185.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2186.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2187.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2188.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2189.jpg

Home Features:

• 4391 total / 2991 Living Square Feet

• Custom Ceilings

• Natural Gas

• Outdoor Kitchen and Cabanna

• Screened Pool with Spa and water features

• Liesure room

• Custom Tile

• Hickory Plank wood flooring

• Custom GE Stainless Steel Kitchen

• Brick Pavers in Drive

• Stand-by generator system

Personal Opinion: This home was nice, but didn't live up to the $1.3 Million price tag. I know it has an Arthur Ruthenberg design, but along this parade I've seen much larger homes, that were just as nicely decorated for less money. The yard wasn't special nor was the location, and the exterior of the home looks cheap. The home was total quality inside. I loved the ceilings, I love the decor in the rooms, I like the outdoor kitchen, and the built in surround sound system. But if asked what I think this house is worth, I'd probably answer with, "about half of what they want for it".

Home #36

Preakness Point

Price: $840,000

ParadeofHomesPart2192.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2195.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2200.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2201.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2204.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2202.jpg

• 3326 Square Feet

• Three Bedrooms and Study

• 3.5 Baths

• Open Kitchen and Family Room

• Historic Millwork

• Paver Driveway

• Viking Appliances

• All granite tops

• Brick and stone exterior

• Extensive Landscaping

Personal Opinion: Another great home from Ertl.

Home #35

Preakness Point

Price: $995,000

ParadeofHomesPart2225.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2208.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2209.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2210.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2211.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2212.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2213.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2215.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2217.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2218.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2219.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2221.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2222.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2223.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2220.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2205.jpg

Home Features:

• 3725 square feet

• 3 Bedrooms / 3.5 Baths

• Very High Ceilings

• Quality flooring throughout

• Fireplaces in Nearly every room

• Flat Panel TVs throughout home

• Built-in Surround Sound System

• Marble Countertops

• Custom Window Blinds

• Stainless Steel Appliances in Kitchen

• Culdasac Lot

• Brick Exterior

• Integrated Security Cameras Throughout Home

Personal Opinion: This home had the best interior in the ENTIRE parade of homes. I absolutely fell in love. The TVs were a bit excessive.

Home #42

Lexington Woods

Price: $124,900

ParadeofHomesPart2228.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2229.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2233.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2232.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2230.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2243.jpg

Home features:

1 Bed Room / 1 Bath

Brick and Hardie Exterior

Stainless Steel Look Appliances

Hardwood floors in all common areas

Tiles Baths and Laundry

Modern Chrome and Brushed Nickel fixtures

Shaker Style Cabinets with High Def. Laminate tops

Prewired for Data and Sound

Private Balcony

Personal Opinion: Lowest priced unit on the parade, but it was nice. I'm not sure I'd spend over $100,000 for a one bedroom anything that's not downtown. I liked the appliances, and may even borrow a few ideas for my own condo. These were nicer than expected, but I'm not sure they're priced for students to own instead of rent as they advertise. The HOA fee is $170.

Home #74

Southwood

Price: $999,000

ParadeofHomesPart2071.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2072.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2073.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2075.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2076.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2077.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2079.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2081.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2082.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2083.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2084.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2086.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2088.jpg

Home Features:

• 4079 Living Square Feet, 7111 Total

• 5 Bedrooms / 3.5 Baths

• Corner Lot with lake View

• Curve Staircase

• Dome Ceiling with sparkling lights

• 10,000 brick pavers on driveway porch

• Marble throughout main area

• Full wrap around porch

• coffering ceiling in nook

• 22 Columns

• Natural Gas

Personal Opinion: I'm not sure why this home was on the parade. There was more space roped off than there was visable to the viewing public. That said, what I did see didn't awe me as much as I thought a $999,000 house should. There are 3032 wasted square feet in this house, all outdoors in the form of a wrap around porch. This bothers me because I've already been through this with another Southwood home that was just around the corner from this one, and because of the fact that I could make 8 of "my apartments" fit into that wasted space. Looked at the front door and it was very plain, almost cheapish, the decor inside was not what I expected of Aspirant homes, and I didn't even notice the 10,000 brick pavers in the drive. Overall, I was sadly disappointed in this home. But I did enjoy the music on the home's installed surround sound system.

Little tip: It was very kind of this family to allow us to view their home, however, I feel, if you don't want to open up the home completely for the parade, don't participate.

A home is about someone's lifestyle. Some may like huge back yards, zero lots or even a lot of porches. So to say the space was wasted I believe was a wrong statement, nothing is wasted when you pay hard earned money for it. Now because you may have been programmed not to understand the dofference between doors (wood vs fiberglass) one may would think it's expensive but again incorrect statement. last it takes 4.5 pavers to make one sqaure foot so if you did not see 10,000 pavers you must have been looking at something else. Overall, I am sadly disppointed in a assessment of a few of the homes especially when you may not have the experience to comment.

Home # 78

Southwood

Price: $1,400,000

ParadeofHomesPart2093.jpg

ParadeofHomesPart2094.jpg

New Home Features

• 6710 Living / 9080 Total Square Feet

• 7 Bedrooms / 6.5 Baths

• 1.3 Acres across the street from the Ball's Southwood Mansion

• All Brick with Paver Driveway

• 10' Ceilings

• Two Story Foyer with Double Curve Stairs

• Outdoor Kitchen with Wetbar

• Concrete Pool with Spa

• Grand Owner's Suite and sitting loft

Personal Opinion: Again, why was this home on the parade? First of all, the YARD was roped off, so the closest I could get to the home was the driveway. I'm not a big fan of the paver driveway's, I think it's another gimmic and a waste of hard earned money. Having said that, I wouldn't be able to tell you if the excess square footage under the roof of this home was wasted or not since I didn't go inside. I'll repeat, it's wonderful that this family has offered their home for the parade, but if you're going to do this, atleast let us see the inside, otherwise you might as well not participate. I can do a drive-by of your home anyday, I'd like to see the inside if you're going to feature it in Tallahassee's parade of homes.

I think Home #35 and some others at that development went nuts with the tier ceiling and molding. It is OK to a point, but they went overboard.

Overall most homes seem nice. The Evening Rose home was nice, but under air is about $181 a square foot, which is a lot of $$$$ considering it was getting credit for helping low income familes.

I think most homes get a passing grade, for me the biggest difference maker is about the neighborhood and I think Southwood is head and shoulders above there. Almost everyone has crownmolding, wood floors, and marble floors. But I appreciate the town center, holiday neighborhood parties, parks, and other community amenties that are the difference to me.

I just wish that there were more homes that average people could afford. I don't have the magazine with me right now, but I don't remember there being more than 5 single-family homes for under $300,000 on the list, and $300,000 still seems awfully high for most families living in Tallahassee (well, I guess they wouldn't be living in Tallahassee, since most of the inexpensive homes were 30 minutes outside town). How much house can a family that makes between $60 and 80k afford? Are there really that many people in town who can afford $750k houses?

I realize that showcases are a chance to show-off, and that the focus is going to be on the mansions. Still, I would like to see some sort of effort to say "here is what you can do for $250k." I also would like to see more emphasis on green features. Did any of the homes have solar cells or heat pumps?

There is one house in Southwood that has solar panels, but it wasn't on the parad of homes.

Solar Panels are NOT affordable. It takes $$$$$ to go green. I would love to do it, but I would bet the person with solar panels in Southwood spent about $15-$20K on it (my guess). It takes a HUGE savings in utility bills to make that up.

SJ awhile back I looked into turning our house "green" solar etc. I could buy a brand new Mercedes for what that would cost. I'd love to do it too, but right now it seem cost-prohibitive.

I also agree w/your comment about too much tiered ceilings and moldings in a few of the houses. My preference on those type of things is a little bit goes a long way.

We are seriously considering installing a 5000 Watt solar system. The system does cost quite a bit even after the $2K federal rebate and $20K rebate from the state. The state pays you back $4 per watt up to $20K for a home. For businesses I believe the rebate is unlimited. The state just passed a new law that really sweetens the incentive to go solar. Basically you get to "homestead" the total cost of the system for 10 years. So if the base cost of a 5000 Watt system before rebates is $40K you get to reduce your home assesment by that value for the next 10 years. That translates to close to $900 in property tax savings per year for 10 years on a $40K system. It shortens the payback period quite a bit. It is also transferrable so if you move you can keep the extra homestead for the remainder of the 10 years.

Another interesting fact regarding solar is that if you generate more than you use the city buys the excess back from you at the retail rate.

When we built our house we used 18 seer HVAC equipment, good windows, and foam insulation and our utility bill is 1/2 of the surrounding homes of the same size.

Informative and very interesting post celebrated. I wish they had those incentives in effect several years ago when I was looking at doing the same thing. However now w/a very new monster water heater, that part of "turning green" is too late for me in the near future.

Informative and very interesting post celebrated. I wish they had those incentives in effect several years ago when I was looking at doing the same thing. However now w/a very new monster water heater, that part of "turning green" is too late for me in the near future.

LOL! I remember that house jose speaks of. Celebrated that sounds like a deal witht he Solar Panels. You should get that, especially if you plan to remain where you are for some time. Seems you'd end up spending $10-11,ooo for something that could possibly save you just as much over 10 years.

Archived