Tallahassee Parade of Homes 2007

Florida

Speaking of water heaters, I did notice that several of the homes I looked at did have the integrated tankless models (which may almost be enough to offset the energy consumption of the 5 flat panel TV's in one of the houses :dontknow: ).

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We are seriously considering installing a 5000 Watt solar system. The system does cost quite a bit even after the $2K federal rebate and $20K rebate from the state. The state pays you back $4 per watt up to $20K for a home. For businesses I believe the rebate is unlimited. The state just passed a new law that really sweetens the incentive to go solar. Basically you get to "homestead" the total cost of the system for 10 years. So if the base cost of a 5000 Watt system before rebates is $40K you get to reduce your home assesment by that value for the next 10 years. That translates to close to $900 in property tax savings per year for 10 years on a $40K system. It shortens the payback period quite a bit. It is also transferrable so if you move you can keep the extra homestead for the remainder of the 10 years.

Another interesting fact regarding solar is that if you generate more than you use the city buys the excess back from you at the retail rate.

When we built our house we used 18 seer HVAC equipment, good windows, and foam insulation and our utility bill is 1/2 of the surrounding homes of the same size.

• 2 months later...

Archived