The State Capitol Area

I read in Ark Business that John Burkhalter is building a green (not literally, "eco-friendly" is probably a better term) 4-story office building at 6th and Woodlane and apparently he already has tenants committed. It would have a view of the Capitol complex, which is probably why.

AB went on to speculate that the reason the Victory Building is still 1/3 vacant is that it lacks said view, which also makes a lot of sense. It's a huge building but it's built low and sprawling.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I thought this thread would be a nice place to discuss improvements around the area of the Capitol, Capitol Ave as a whole, ---the ever present stream of new monuments, and what could be done to make the area more pleasing. Ideas for the Capitol View neighborhood would also be welcome.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I read in Ark Business that John Burkhalter is building a green (not literally, "eco-friendly" is probably a better term) 4-story office building at 6th and Woodlane and apparently he already has tenants committed. It would have a view of the Capitol complex, which is probably why.

AB went on to speculate that the reason the Victory Building is still 1/3 vacant is that it lacks said view, which also makes a lot of sense. It's a huge building but it's built low and sprawling.

I thought this thread would be a nice place to discuss improvements around the area of the Capitol, Capitol Ave as a whole, ---the ever present stream of new monuments, and what could be done to make the area more pleasing. Ideas for the Capitol View neighborhood would also be welcome.

I admit I'm not very familiar with the area. But from what I do know that would seem to be a very good area to work on. It's not that far from the River Market area. That area has already been improving over to the east with the Clinton Library and Heifer International. It would be nice to see improvements start working their way westward. The winter before last I walked over at night to take pics of the Christmas lights at the Capitol. Seemed from what little I could see, there was plenty of area to improve on.

I'm pretty sure the Victory Building was built to within a couple of feet of the height regulation, so I guess they couldn't have done much about that. If there is this height regulation and I'm not just going crazy, do y'all think it should stay? I know there's a huge part of DC where you can't build higher than the US Capitol, but is that necesary in LR?

I'm pretty sure the Victory Building was built to within a couple of feet of the height regulation, so I guess they couldn't have done much about that. If there is this height regulation and I'm not just going crazy, do y'all think it should stay? I know there's a huge part of DC where you can't build higher than the US Capitol, but is that necesary in LR?

Archived