10,000 new jobs coming to BAFB/Bossier City?

For those of you who might not often venture out of this forum and into the main Louisiana forum here on Urban Planet, I thought I'd post this link... you might find it very interesting! ;)

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=39888

Imagine if this Cyber Command Center comes on board... I would certainly expect to see Bossier City not only top the list by 2010-2015, but to see no other city anywhere near Bossier City in terms of population growth.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those of you who might not often venture out of this forum and into the main Louisiana forum here on Urban Planet, I thought I'd post this link... you might find it very interesting! ;)

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=39888

Imagine if this Cyber Command Center comes on board... I would certainly expect to see Bossier City not only top the list by 2010-2015, but to see no other city anywhere near Bossier City in terms of population growth.

That's awesome! This home builder I spoke to, who has been doing his own open houses, said that most of the people that have looked at his houses are from Minden looking to move closer to Shreveport/Bossier. He has built a few new homes in Haughton. I think that Bossier Parish is syphoning people from Webster Parish. I swear, I am hoping and praying for this thing to come to Bossier. I'm just thinking about how fast my house could appreciate!!!

On another note, I noticed the property across the road from Cornerstone and Tuscany Crossing has sold. I noticed this because of the logging trucks beginning to clear the land. The company clearing the land is Red Oak Logging and it just so happens that the name of the company that built a lot of homes and held a lot of property in Cornerstone is Red Oak Properties. I think we have another subdivision going up in Haughton!

That's awesome! This home builder I spoke to, who has been doing his own open houses, said that most of the people that have looked at his houses are from Minden looking to move closer to Shreveport/Bossier. He has built a few new homes in Haughton. I think that Bossier Parish is syphoning people from Webster Parish. I swear, I am hoping and praying for this thing to come to Bossier. I'm just thinking about how fast my house could appreciate!!!

On another note, I noticed the property across the road from Cornerstone and Tuscany Crossing has sold. I noticed this because of the logging trucks beginning to clear the land. The company clearing the land is Red Oak Logging and it just so happens that the name of the company that built a lot of homes and held a lot of property in Cornerstone is Red Oak Properties. I think we have another subdivision going up in Haughton!

VERY interesting!! Good to see. I've noticed a sharp rebound in new home construction lately, so I'm happy. I'm also glad to see more potential properties being developed in Haughton. Now maybe we can lure Wal-Mart back... or some other stores and restaurants anyway. I hate Wal-Mart with a passion, but I'd take just about any convenience we can get out there at this point!

It's a very good possibility, but nothing is set in stone. A decision will come by year's end. Let's just HOPE it happens.

If I remember correctly, the Louisiana bill that funded the $50 million said that the military had to commit by December 31 this year to receive the funds. Does anyone know about this?

• 4 weeks later...

California now entering the race (and it's starting to get personal) ...

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...80332/1002/NEWS

I am pretty irked by this letter that some jerk wrote to this Air Force magazine. I'm sure that he knows nothing about our area, which is obvious by him putting us in the "deep south." Heck, we are almost in Texas. Besides, what does some jerk from Ohio know about SBC? I'm glad that Bossier Mayor Walker fired back. For nationally slamming us, I hope that his superiors crawl so far up his butt he can taste them. :angry:

Good for Walker.

And this is further proof of how outsiders view the "deep south." While I'm not exactly fond of rednecks and the like and I do prefer a much more highly-educated community, has anyone ever visited the slums of Chicago or any other major midwestern or northern city? Has anyone ever been through Gary, Indiana, DAYTON, OHIO, or any other city up that way where heavy industry is king and higher education takes a back seat? The midwest and the north are full of areas with uneducated people, and to assume that the "deep south" is lower than them is a true slap in the face... one which I personally would love to pay back. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Higher education is definitely an area where SBC is lacking. It's also a hit against the area when it comes to locating a cyber command in the area. We'll see what they can come up with.

San Antonio and Nebraska have better higher educational opportunities (both for students and research) than SBC. But I predict SBC will still get it due to its current role in Air Force network operations

Higher education is definitely an area where SBC is lacking. It's also a hit against the area when it comes to locating a cyber command in the area. We'll see what they can come up with.

San Antonio and Nebraska have better higher educational opportunities (both for students and research) than SBC. But I predict SBC will still get it due to its current role in Air Force network operations

Hopefully a project like this coming to the region would help to change that.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know, but I don't like the sound of it. It sounds as if he said we are here temporarily and that's it folks.

Perhaps it's still too early to say... for instance if they can't get a decent enough work force, they could take it away. But yes, the word "provisional," when used in this situation is very scary. I'm really surprised by the supposed TEN MINUTES of applause after he said that. It seems to me the audience would have responded with a collective "what the hell do you mean PROVISIONAL!??!?" :)

This blog post seems to have a more positive spin to it...

http://www.timeseditordesk.blogspot.com/

I could be wrong, but this sounds like what we've been waiting for! Is Barksdale "provisionally" getting the big prize? That's how I read this. Why else would there be an involvement from Sen. Landrieu? Tell me if I'm wrong, but I don't think so. I think the Times is expecting to put out a bigger piece in today's issue.

Excerpt:

"It took a combination of extraordinary coordination and effort on the part of many local officials and the congressional delegation," she told Times reporter Margaret Martin. Landrieu praised Lt. Gen. Robert J. Elder

I live in San Antonio, but congrats to Shreveport-Bossier

Yes, but you once lived here. And you recently visited and seemed impressed by the fact that it's not the same dried-up place it was when you left (with the exception of certain parts of Shreveport.)

And even though it's most likely coming here rather than there, I'm sure you are proud for the place you once called home. :)

And good to see you again.

Archived