10,000 new jobs coming to BAFB/Bossier City?

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in San Francisco this weekend and I missed all the excitement!!! There's an article in today's Times continuing the evolving story. Barksdale is in a great position now to be named the permenant command center.

Barksdale closer to becoming cyber center headquarters

Must be nice to be able to just up and head to San Francisco for the weekend! ;) The nearest large cities I can go to for a weekend are Dallas and Houston, and neither of them is as nice as SF.

The thing that's most concerning me is that they said MONTHS ago that they expected to have details ironed out soon, possibly by year's end. If it's now going to take "months" longer to determine which base will host the command, that gives more time for competition to build and that's not good.

This area would make a great home to a business like this, because the community has already proven it will bend over backward to accomodate it, but now the ultimate decision has yet to be made. This "provisional' stuff is their way of covering themselves while they make their decision. The simple fact that they have yet to commit fully to Barksdale tells me that they are unsure of Barksdale's capability to support such a command. To that I say "Pfft!!" Barksdale is home to the Mighty Eigth, and for the past 50-60 years has been the most powerful B-52 bomber base in the USA.

The thing that's most concerning me is that they said MONTHS ago that they expected to have details ironed out soon, possibly by year's end. If it's now going to take "months" longer to determine which base will host the command, that gives more time for competition to build and that's not good.

This "provisional' stuff is their way of covering themselves while they make their decision. The simple fact that they have yet to commit fully to Barksdale tells me that they are unsure of Barksdale's capability to support such a command.

I'm still more optimistic about it. As the competition rises, Barksdale will be forced to keep the competitive edge. Louisiana is not going to let this slip through their fingers. They already have their foot in the door, which is more than the other bases have. Every base in the country wishes they were in Barksdale's position.

Also, the "provisional" status is only a good sign, not a bad one. The military understands the message they're sending by awarding Barksdale the provisional title. They're establishing intent, but I can imagine the magnitude of the decision, all the factors that play in to it... you make the decision gradually in phases. The provisional status will allow them to establish operations at Barksdale and test the waters. I think this speaks eons about Barksdale's potential and ability. If they were unsure of Barksdale on any level, they wouldn't be granting them provisional anything, especially when there are so many other qualified and aggressive alternatives!

I'm still more optimistic about it. As the competition rises, Barksdale will be forced to keep the competitive edge. Louisiana is not going to let this slip through their fingers. They already have their foot in the door, which is more than the other bases have. Every base in the country wishes they were in Barksdale's position.

Also, the "provisional" status is only a good sign, not a bad one. The military understands the message they're sending by awarding Barksdale the provisional title. They're establishing intent, but I can imagine the magnitude of the decision, all the factors that play in to it... you make the decision gradually in phases. The provisional status will allow them to establish operations at Barksdale and test the waters. I think this speaks eons about Barksdale's potential and ability. If they were unsure of Barksdale on any level, they wouldn't be granting them provisional anything, especially when there are so many other qualified and aggressive alternatives!

You explained your point very well, and all I can say is I hope you're correct.

^Here're two interesting quotes from the articles listed above:

1) "We're 100 percent confident this process is the initiation of the process to bring together things necessary to stand up the major command," Bossier City attorney Jimmy Hall said, noting it's standard practice to start with a provisional command, then go to an operational command and then to a final, functional command.

"There's no possibility that ultimately we won't be named as the major command."

2) "It's a major coup for Barksdale," said Loren Thompson, a defense analyst with the Lexington Institute, who agreed siting the new headquarters at Barksdale would make the Shreveport-Bossier City area a high-tech center and grow its academic community.

"It would attract some interesting people to the area," Thompson said. "The most intelligent people in America."

^Here're two interesting quotes from the articles listed above:

1) "We're 100 percent confident this process is the initiation of the process to bring together things necessary to stand up the major command," Bossier City attorney Jimmy Hall said, noting it's standard practice to start with a provisional command, then go to an operational command and then to a final, functional command.

"There's no possibility that ultimately we won't be named as the major command."

2) "It's a major coup for Barksdale," said Loren Thompson, a defense analyst with the Lexington Institute, who agreed siting the new headquarters at Barksdale would make the Shreveport-Bossier City area a high-tech center and grow its academic community.

"It would attract some interesting people to the area," Thompson said. "The most intelligent people in America."

Nice finds, Stephen. I haven't had a chance to read through these yet but it looks promising. . . especially that last line, which you put in bold. It's true, these wouldn't just be run-of-the-mill IT people, these would have to be specially trained IT security people. This could ultimately be the last piece we need to get Louisiana Tech and LSUS to merge into one big University as has been discussed in recent years.

Nice finds, Stephen. I haven't had a chance to read through these yet but it looks promising. . . especially that last line, which you put in bold. It's true, these wouldn't just be run-of-the-mill IT people, these would have to be specially trained IT security people. This could ultimately be the last piece we need to get Louisiana Tech and LSUS to merge into one big University as has been discussed in recent years.

I have heard of this merger, but do you have any idea of how the final product would look? Would LT be based in Shreveport or in Ruston? Would that cause the LSUS campus to grow? I could hardly imagine LT moving to Shreveport.

I have heard of this merger, but do you have any idea of how the final product would look? Would LT be based in Shreveport or in Ruston? Would that cause the LSUS campus to grow? I could hardly imagine LT moving to Shreveport.

Actually when they were discussing it, that was their purpose... to have a full-fledged University based in Shreveport. It's hard to imagine Tech moving to Shreveport, but it's been discussed a lot over the past few years. I think as it stands it's hard for most people to fathom. But if we did indeed become home to some of the smartest people in the United States, a full-fledged University being based in Shreveport or Bossier is something that must become a reality. The town of Ruston likely couldn't handle something to the extent of Tech uprooting and moving, but it's not an unprecedented situation. Some colleges have moved from one place to another throughout history... including Centenary. Obviously comparing Centenary to Tech isn't exactly fair. But still, there's really only room in this region for one campus of that size, so I truly couldn't see Ruston and Shreveport both having campuses. Things that have been considered are that Tech's largest sports fan base is in Shreveport-Bossier, and if I'm not mistaken Tech has more students from Shreveport-Bossier than from anywhere else.

Personally I couldn't see if being constructed on the current LSUS site. That property is big, but not large enough to accomodate a larger school like Tech. There just isn't any room left on Youree Drive for anything of that magnitude. This actually poses another problem, because then you'd have to relocate not just one campus, but two... Tech AND LSUS. I know the numbers have been looked at and that it's a long shot, but it's still quite a possibility and I'd like to see this come back out in the news in the near future. I'd like to see this issue explored further.

Actually when they were discussing it, that was their purpose... to have a full-fledged University based in Shreveport. It's hard to imagine Tech moving to Shreveport, but it's been discussed a lot over the past few years. I think as it stands it's hard for most people to fathom. But if we did indeed become home to some of the smartest people in the United States, a full-fledged University being based in Shreveport or Bossier is something that must become a reality. The town of Ruston likely couldn't handle something to the extent of Tech uprooting and moving, but it's not an unprecedented situation. Some colleges have moved from one place to another throughout history... including Centenary. Obviously comparing Centenary to Tech isn't exactly fair. But still, there's really only room in this region for one campus of that size, so I truly couldn't see Ruston and Shreveport both having campuses. Things that have been considered are that Tech's largest sports fan base is in Shreveport-Bossier, and if I'm not mistaken Tech has more students from Shreveport-Bossier than from anywhere else.

Personally I couldn't see if being constructed on the current LSUS site. That property is big, but not large enough to accomodate a larger school like Tech. There just isn't any room left on Youree Drive for anything of that magnitude. This actually poses another problem, because then you'd have to relocate not just one campus, but two... Tech AND LSUS. I know the numbers have been looked at and that it's a long shot, but it's still quite a possibility and I'd like to see this come back out in the news in the near future. I'd like to see this issue explored further.

The more points you make, the more unlikely this actally seems to happen. I still am wondering why BPCC does not try to make itself into a four year university. They have a lot of property out there, soon to be gobbled up. I have seen how Tech and ULM have built the new apartment dorms and believe it could be done pretty quickly as they have. How about SBU? It would fit the trend that Bossier would be the one to get a new University!

The more points you make, the more unlikely this actally seems to happen. I still am wondering why BPCC does not try to make itself into a four year university. They have a lot of property out there, soon to be gobbled up. I have seen how Tech and ULM have built the new apartment dorms and believe it could be done pretty quickly as they have. How about SBU? It would fit the trend that Bossier would be the one to get a new University!

I began to realize that myself. The more issues I brought up, the less likely it became... except for the whole issue of how many students and alumni Tech has in Shreveport-Bossier. I know they're looking into the issue and I know it would be really bad for Ruston, but Shreveport-Bossier stands to gain a lot... including most of the population of Ruston. :lol:

And I agree... to continue the current trend it WOULD make sense for a nice, new campus to be built in Bossier. If BPCC ever were to grow further it would need to acquire the land between it and Villaggio, because the Cyber Innovation Center (or whatever they're calling that thing) is going on the other side of BPCC and those few remaining acres along that stretch of road are fast becoming prime real estate.

By the way Villaggio is coming along quite well. Concrete is already being poured on what will become the first street within Villaggio. I ws shocked to discover that today from an email update. I pass by it every day (and assume you do as well) and I enjoy watching the dirt work progress.

I began to realize that myself. The more issues I brought up, the less likely it became... except for the whole issue of how many students and alumni Tech has in Shreveport-Bossier. I know they're looking into the issue and I know it would be really bad for Ruston, but Shreveport-Bossier stands to gain a lot... including most of the population of Ruston. :lol:

And I agree... to continue the current trend it WOULD make sense for a nice, new campus to be built in Bossier. If BPCC ever were to grow further it would need to acquire the land between it and Villaggio, because the Cyber Innovation Center (or whatever they're calling that thing) is going on the other side of BPCC and those few remaining acres along that stretch of road are fast becoming prime real estate.

By the way Villaggio is coming along quite well. Concrete is already being poured on what will become the first street within Villaggio. I ws shocked to discover that today from an email update. I pass by it every day (and assume you do as well) and I enjoy watching the dirt work progress.

There is a good amout of property left between BPCC and Villaggio right? They should have some private company come in and build and own the apartment style dorms as ULM has done. Have you been to ULM in the last year to year and a half? It has changed so much. You can barely recognize it.

About Villaggio, yeah, I see them pushing dirt around all the time out there. I was down Hwy 80 one day and did see that some concrete in the front was being poured. It really is hard to tell that much has happened because of all the dirt work that has been going on. I'm ready to see something go up!

There is a good amout of property left between BPCC and Villaggio right? They should have some private company come in and build and own the apartment style dorms as ULM has done. Have you been to ULM in the last year to year and a half? It has changed so much. You can barely recognize it.

About Villaggio, yeah, I see them pushing dirt around all the time out there. I was down Hwy 80 one day and did see that some concrete in the front was being poured. It really is hard to tell that much has happened because of all the dirt work that has been going on. I'm ready to see something go up!

It's actually coming along really quickly considering the overall size of Phase I. To think they're already finished burying utilities and building the land up, and are now beginning the external infrastructure amazes me. They're really zipping along and that project will be open in no time. MUCH better than the problems Good encountered while building the Boardwalk... remember that? I thought that place would NEVER open!

BPCC fills the local need for a community college, so, in my opinion, it should remain that way. I don't see Southern University Shreveport as the only community college in the area. I'm not sure if the BPCC campus is even big enough to house a university the size of LA Tech.

I know LSUS purchased adjacent land to its campus when I was attending there. There's definitely lots of open land to expand if they needed to, especially if they used parking garages and high rise buildings. They've also been wanting to start more graduate level programs at that school, including doctoral level degrees. They've already got some established programs in IT, but could definitely use more

BPCC fills the local need for a community college, so, in my opinion, it should remain that way. I don't see Southern University Shreveport as the only community college in the area. I'm not sure if the BPCC campus is even big enough to house a university the size of LA Tech.

I know LSUS purchased adjacent land to its campus when I was attending there. There's definitely lots of open land to expand if they needed to, especially if they used parking garages and high rise buildings. They've also been wanting to start more graduate level programs at that school, including doctoral level degrees. They've already got some established programs in IT, but could definitely use more

What adjacent land? Maybe I'm missing something, but besides the land their athletic fields are on, I can't think of any other land LSUS could possibly expand onto.

***EDIT: Nevermind! I just looked on Google Earth and I see that not all the available land behind the school is being used for athletic fields. Not much room to expand onto, but it's better than nothing.

You're right, there is a lot of room out there, especially if they were to build on some of those parking lots and make parking garages as you suggested. There is a good amount of land closer to E Kings. When I went there, I hated their parking situation. Those parking lots are ridiculous. Look at all those parking lots!!!

post-14008-1190337048_thumb.jpg

You're right, there is a lot of room out there, especially if they were to build on some of those parking lots and make parking garages as you suggested. There is a good amount of land closer to E Kings. When I went there, I hated their parking situation. Those parking lots are ridiculous. Look at all those parking lots!!!

post-14008-1190337048_thumb.jpg

Good point. A lot of expense, though, to tear out that much parking and build a garage or two... but it would free up quite a bit of land.

Hey, don't quote me on this, but I was told once that BPCC had partnered with NSU Natchitoches to offer 4 yr degrees from NSU. I think that this partnership with the 100% accredited NSU helped BPCC recieve its accreditation.

This is just hear-say so I'm not sure if this is totally correct.

PS Villaggio Newsletter

That may be true. LSUA was once a 2 yr college and had a similar program. They partnered with LSU Baton Rouge to offer 4 year degrees. I believe they could be completely earned from Alexandria. Of course, that's all changed now that LSUA is a 4 year university

Archived