10,000 new jobs coming to BAFB/Bossier City?

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Shreveport Mayor Cedric Glover announced, yesterday, a partnership between the city and LSU-S to bring a "world-class" academic center to Shreveport. This is great... obviously it's to help with getting people in the area more skilled for positions at CIC, but also this will make Shreveport look very good for a change. This proves that Glover understands the importance of CIC and Cyber Command, and that he doesn't want his city taking a back seat to Bossier City any longer. Let's hope he can acheive this goal... there is plenty of room for huge growth on both sides of the river, and Shreveport really is a nice city. It seems everything good that happens anymore happens in Bossier, and everything bad happens in Shreveport and I truly believe Glover wants to turn this nasty trend around.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...EWS01/711080322

Crime is also a huge issue for Glover and I've been very pleased so far in the actions he's taken as mayor to help ease the crime problem in his city. Operation T-BONE is a start... and there will be more from him, I know.

If this year's State Fair ends without violence this will be the most successful State Fair in recent years. I know this isn't the doing of Glover, but rather State Fair officials and the SPD, but it will look VERY good for the city. I'm tired of avoiding the State Fair because someone is always murdered there. For that reason I'm planning on visiting it this weekend with friends from Texarkana. You see, people in Texarkana see the same news on TV that we see... and being 75 miles outside of Shreveport they don't see the city on a daily basis. They really are (understandably) afraid of this city, and I am trying my best to help change this by letting my Texarkana area friends experience Shreveport to the fullest.

I'm glad to hear something happening at LSUS (being an alumni of the university). I know they're always looking for ways to better serve the SBC area, so this is a step in the right direction for them. Also cool that they may get into the research business, if this pans out. This may help keep more of their graduates from moving to Texas or elsewhere.

It's a good step for the LSU system as a whole -- currently LSU BR is its only significant campus in the state when it comes to academics, research, and athletics. Hopefully LSUS, and eventually LSUA can develop into well respected universities (they're good schools, but not well known). Having their other campuses develop will better serve their communities as well

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone see the most recent Forum? There was a lot of talk about CIC (as usual) but the fact that we don't have the most accomodating airport came up on numerous occasions. Perhaps this is what it will take for us to finally get decent air service here? Sure our airport has grown a lot and expanded its offerings, and we do have quite a few direct flights to nice destinations now, but we still don't have Southwest and overall our airport still SUCKS.

Also... there was an article by Eric Brock about the influence of Italian immigrants on our region throughout its history. Despite certain unsavory things I personally do not like about some (not all) of our local Italian families, they have played, and still do play, a very important role in the local economy. According to his article, Shreveport once had a Little Italy section of the city. Wow... that's a type of culture you don't generally have in a city Shreveport's size. Part of me wishes we still had a Little Italy, how cool would that be?

Former Mayor Hightower at one point was really pushing his Chinatown idea, which ultimately resulted in one cruddy Chinese junk store opening in Shreve City and subsequently closing due to the fact that no one wanted to buy their crap! He blamed government problems between the US and China for being the reason why the Chinatown concept never took off, but whatever. :shades: Now another store that sells a crapload of Chinese junk - Wal-Mart - has become the savior for Shreve City... how's that for irony? :unsure:

Anyone see the most recent Forum? There was a lot of talk about CIC (as usual) but the fact that we don't have the most accomodating airport came up on numerous occasions. Perhaps this is what it will take for us to finally get decent air service here? Sure our airport has grown a lot and expanded its offerings, and we do have quite a few direct flights to nice destinations now, but we still don't have Southwest and overall our airport still SUCKS.

Also... there was an article by Eric Brock about the influence of Italian immigrants on our region throughout its history. Despite certain unsavory things I personally do not like about some (not all) of our local Italian families, they have played, and still do play, a very important role in the local economy. According to his article, Shreveport once had a Little Italy section of the city. Wow... that's a type of culture you don't generally have in a city Shreveport's size. Part of me wishes we still had a Little Italy, how cool would that be?

Former Mayor Hightower at one point was really pushing his Chinatown idea, which ultimately resulted in one cruddy Chinese junk store opening in Shreve City and subsequently closing due to the fact that no one wanted to buy their crap! He blamed government problems between the US and China for being the reason why the Chinatown concept never took off, but whatever. :shades: Now another store that sells a crapload of Chinese junk - Wal-Mart - has become the savior for Shreve City... how's that for irony? :unsure:

Shreveport does seem to be an expensive city to fly to, and that's my main complaint. The terminal seems nice enough for a city its size though, and I've never really had to wait a long time at the ticket counters. I'm not sure if the CIC will really change things much as far as airport service goes.

I wonder how the CIC will really pan out. Will it be an organization with lots of local support, or support from subordinate organizations located far away (like in other states)? Given the lack of local research universities, I imagine that type of support will come from outside the local area, at least for a while.

Shreveport does seem to be an expensive city to fly to, and that's my main complaint. The terminal seems nice enough for a city its size though, and I've never really had to wait a long time at the ticket counters. I'm not sure if the CIC will really change things much as far as airport service goes.

I wonder how the CIC will really pan out. Will it be an organization with lots of local support, or support from subordinate organizations located far away (like in other states)? Given the lack of local research universities, I imagine that type of support will come from outside the local area, at least for a while.

The plan is to bring everything together into one large research park. That's why they're having the Cyberspace Symposium next week at the convention center... they will be bringing in huge research companies and defense contractors for the symposium. The reason for making the airport better, they say, is because in order for something like CIC to be a success, the airport must be better than it is... namely more direct flights to key places for convenient access. Lo Walker is already standing up and talking about getting in on that. Shreveport better watch out or they may be looking over the river at a Bossier City International Airport. I know that sounds a bit far-fetched, but given Bossier's track record of actually doing what Shreveport is afraid to do, I wouldn't be surprised to see them attempt it at the very least.

The plan is to bring everything together into one large research park. That's why they're having the Cyberspace Symposium next week at the convention center... they will be bringing in huge research companies and defense contractors for the symposium. The reason for making the airport better, they say, is because in order for something like CIC to be a success, the airport must be better than it is... namely more direct flights to key places for convenient access. Lo Walker is already standing up and talking about getting in on that. Shreveport better watch out or they may be looking over the river at a Bossier City International Airport. I know that sounds a bit far-fetched, but given Bossier's track record of actually doing what Shreveport is afraid to do, I wouldn't be surprised to see them attempt it at the very least.

Okay, I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but, seriously, if that happened, where would you put it? Residents in south Bossier would have a cow (they don't even want a decent shopping center to be built there)... you can't go east b/c of the base, and i'm sure north Bossier wouldn't want it either. That pretty much narrows it to either Haughton or the riverfront...

I can see more direct flights. I'm not sure about an international airport, for reasons Metlife mentioned (land) and for the need of an international airport. If there was a need, would it be so great that they would need another much larger airport for international air service? Shreveport Regional seems underutilized as it is.

I can see more direct flights. I'm not sure about an international airport, for reasons Metlife mentioned (land) and for the need of an international airport. If there was a need, would it be so great that they would need another much larger airport for international air service? Shreveport Regional seems underutilized as it is.

just do what Hunstville did... they have an Internation airport. it is just a bit out in the country

just do what Hunstville did... they have an Internation airport. it is just a bit out in the country

That's exactly what's being talked about here... Huntsville's international airport. People have to look beyond the CURRENT need for an international airport. Currently there is no need (though it would be nice to have anyway) but if the Huntsville effect occurs here - which it very well could - it will be needed for the CIC to be successful.

Where would it be built? There are plenty of locations if one had to be built... we have tons of wide open land here, and tons of wooded areas that can be cleared for such a project. South Bossier residents were mostly against CenturyTel Center, and it got built despite their opposition. As a matter of fact Bossier City did what I thought it should do, and it basically thumbed its nose to those people and said "we're building it whether you like it or not." The fact is, Bossier City is not above that tactic and most likely would use that tactic again in such a situation.

All that said, however, the article did mention a joint-use airport with Barksdale. Mayor Walker is a retired Air Force officer with a lot of pull, and the article mentions that this has been done in numerous other places (municipalities sharing an airport with a military installation.)

The entire subject is simply talk for now anyway. First the command must be stood up at Barksdale, officially. Then CIC must be built and attract some major players to the market. Then, and only then, will an international airport and wider freeways be discussed. But if everything falls into place, within the next 2 decades we will have a much better, and wider, freeway system and an international airport. It's the Huntsville effect, and as I said if everything falls into place, it will have to happen in order for CIC to be a huge success.

That's exactly what's being talked about here... Huntsville's international airport. People have to look beyond the CURRENT need for an international airport. Currently there is no need (though it would be nice to have anyway) but if the Huntsville effect occurs here - which it very well could - it will be needed for the CIC to be successful.

Where would it be built? There are plenty of locations if one had to be built... we have tons of wide open land here, and tons of wooded areas that can be cleared for such a project. South Bossier residents were mostly against CenturyTel Center, and it got built despite their opposition. As a matter of fact Bossier City did what I thought it should do, and it basically thumbed its nose to those people and said "we're building it whether you like it or not." The fact is, Bossier City is not above that tactic and most likely would use that tactic again in such a situation.

All that said, however, the article did mention a joint-use airport with Barksdale. Mayor Walker is a retired Air Force officer with a lot of pull, and the article mentions that this has been done in numerous other places (municipalities sharing an airport with a military installation.)

The entire subject is simply talk for now anyway. First the command must be stood up at Barksdale, officially. Then CIC must be built and attract some major players to the market. Then, and only then, will an international airport and wider freeways be discussed. But if everything falls into place, within the next 2 decades we will have a much better, and wider, freeway system and an international airport. It's the Huntsville effect, and as I said if everything falls into place, it will have to happen in order for CIC to be a huge success.

I looked up Huntsville's airport. Looks like it's mainly cargo that flies in internationally. I guess I could see that happening, and Barksdale could probably support that, especially since this is all in support of the military. I imagine with the phase out of the B-52, it'll free up ramp space to do that.

I think Shreveport's airport should remain as the main passenger airport. I just don't see the area needing to support a larger airport even in the distant future. The CIC and its support will cause growth, but I don't think bossier's gonna turn into Austin anytime soon.

I looked up Huntsville's airport. Looks like it's mainly cargo that flies in internationally. I guess I could see that happening, and Barksdale could probably support that, especially since this is all in support of the military. I imagine with the phase out of the B-52, it'll free up ramp space to do that.

I think Shreveport's airport should remain as the main passenger airport. I just don't see the area needing to support a larger airport even in the distant future. The CIC and its support will cause growth, but I don't think bossier's gonna turn into Austin anytime soon.

I do believe you're looking at this from a minimalistic point of view. CIC's direct and indirect economic influences will not be minimal by any means. If AFCYBER is stood up permanently at Barksdale, you are looking at 5,000-10,000 direct jobs with upwards of 30,000+ indirect jobs possible. This is not small, especially considering most of these will be high-paying positions for highly skilled technical people. If a great number of these people move here from a distance, such as Colorado, California, Washington, New York, etc that is not within a decent driving distance, they will be utilizing air travel more than the average person around here. In order for that to work well we have got to have more direct flights to more locales, as well as more affordable options.

If Shreveport Regional were replaced by any decent airport, international or regional, I would be pleased. Shreveport Regional is in the ghetto, and while the terminal makes a good impression on people when they arrive here, the area right outside its gates doesn't. I'm actually quite surprised at how many new hotels are going up, or have recently opened, in that area. That part of Shreveport screams "you are now in the armpit of the world. Get your ass inside your room before you get robbed or shot!" Personally I would love to see a new airport built elsewhere and Shreveport Regional board up its windows and hang a "closed" sign on its doors.

As far as Bossier not turning into Austin anytime soon - or ever for that matter - I don't think anyone could be happier about that than myself. Why would anyone want their area to take on another area's persona. Sure we can use some aspects of Huntsville and other areas but we've got to find a way to customize those into something that is uniquely ours. Perhaps some people want Bossier to become Huntsville or Austin, but I want Bossier to remain Bossier... which really should be enough in itself since Bossier City continues to grow and is among the top areas in the state in population growth.

As much as I'm all for growth throughout this entire metro area, Bossier City always has been - and always will be - the opposite of Shreveport. It's a unique place unto itself and needs to maintain its own unique identity rather than copy that of some other place.

I do believe you're looking at this from a minimalistic point of view. CIC's direct and indirect economic influences will not be minimal by any means. If AFCYBER is stood up permanently at Barksdale, you are looking at 5,000-10,000 direct jobs with upwards of 30,000+ indirect jobs possible. This is not small, especially considering most of these will be high-paying positions for highly skilled technical people. If a great number of these people move here from a distance, such as Colorado, California, Washington, New York, etc that is not within a decent driving distance, they will be utilizing air travel more than the average person around here. In order for that to work well we have got to have more direct flights to more locales, as well as more affordable options.

If Shreveport Regional were replaced by any decent airport, international or regional, I would be pleased. Shreveport Regional is in the ghetto, and while the terminal makes a good impression on people when they arrive here, the area right outside its gates doesn't. I'm actually quite surprised at how many new hotels are going up, or have recently opened, in that area. That part of Shreveport screams "you are now in the armpit of the world. Get your ass inside your room before you get robbed or shot!" Personally I would love to see a new airport built elsewhere and Shreveport Regional board up its windows and hang a "closed" sign on its doors.

As far as Bossier not turning into Austin anytime soon - or ever for that matter - I don't think anyone could be happier about that than myself. Why would anyone want their area to take on another area's persona. Sure we can use some aspects of Huntsville and other areas but we've got to find a way to customize those into something that is uniquely ours. Perhaps some people want Bossier to become Huntsville or Austin, but I want Bossier to remain Bossier... which really should be enough in itself since Bossier City continues to grow and is among the top areas in the state in population growth.

As much as I'm all for growth throughout this entire metro area, Bossier City always has been - and always will be - the opposite of Shreveport. It's a unique place unto itself and needs to maintain its own unique identity rather than copy that of some other place.

I'm kinda just being a devil's advocate.

The command will mainly be a headquarters, with subordinate units located elsewhere. That's typically how it works out. It's tough to say how many people the command headquarters will employ. I'm curious to see how the CIC plays out too.

As far as the Bossier to Austin comment -- I wasn't really talking about the "flair" of the city or whatever, but Austin's fast growth, IT jobs, progressiveness, etc.

I don't think Bossier's the opposite of Shreveport. It seems very similar in a lot of ways. Shreveport just has a larger, poorer population, which it has to look after. I can't blame them for not looking to build a bigger airport, considering the current one seems underutilized and is working fine. A new one would cost a couple hundred million maybe. I think the new terminal alone at SHV was something like 60 mil, not sure though. I think Shreveport is not wealthy enough to take big gambles. SHV could probably expand its rampspace (more aircraft parking) and add more flights/carriers. Southwest would be great. Those actions would probably meet future demand and not be too big of a burden on the city to build.

Also, airports don't need to be in rich areas, many are located in poorer parts of town (cheaper real estate maybe, or central location, etc).

Great, here comes another hopeful....

Another state joins Cyber Command suitors list

I saw that. :rolleyes:

An aside: I spent all day yesterday walking and photographing on the streets of Downtowns Dallas and Fort Worth and it made me really resent the lack of things (basically everything) that we have here. I long for more development Downtown, more culture in general, etc. Walking around Downtown Fort Worth reminds me a bit of walking around Downtown New Orleans, and walking around Downtown Dallas reminds me a lot of walking around Downtowns Chicago and Houston. Just so much going on and on a whole other plane of existence that our region will never, ever be on.

An aside: I spent all day yesterday walking and photographing on the streets of Downtowns Dallas and Fort Worth and it made me really resent the lack of things (basically everything) that we have here. I long for more development Downtown, more culture in general, etc. Walking around Downtown Fort Worth reminds me a bit of walking around Downtown New Orleans, and walking around Downtown Dallas reminds me a lot of walking around Downtowns Chicago and Houston. Just so much going on and on a whole other plane of existence that our region will never, ever be on.

Small steps... I think we're making progress, but you can't compare the SBC with the grandeur of the Metroplex (If you do, you will be a little depressed about the area).

Small steps... I think we're making progress, but you can't compare the SBC with the grandeur of the Metroplex (If you do, you will be a little depressed about the area).

Yes and I think that's what's happened here. I never have spent as much time exploring the urban centers of Dallas and Ft. Worth until now and it just made me sick. I loved it so much it made me sick that we don't have anything like that. The only part of it I didn't care for was the traffic on I-30 when I wa exiting downtown Dallas last night to come home. I wish more people there would utilize those awesome trains they have. I should have used them myself, but I parked my car at Thanksgiving Square and just walked for most of the day. I only went into the 'burbs for a short time, to visit a friend of mine at the restaurant he owns in Arlington. I also took a few photos of the Cowboys' new stadium while there.

What was it that you liked so much? I have never "explored" down there, but I bet it was pretty cool. I remember last time I was down there I saw Dealy Plaza and the Texas School Book Depository and went to the Aquarium. It was very cool. I agree it's too bad that we will never have anything worth a poo downtown.

What was it that you liked so much? I have never "explored" down there, but I bet it was pretty cool. I remember last time I was down there I saw Dealy Plaza and the Texas School Book Depository and went to the Aquarium. It was very cool. I agree it's too bad that we will never have anything worth a poo downtown.

yeah you don't really realize how small downtown shreveport is until you go somewhere like atlanta or dallas.. or even birmingham.. I felt really safe at downtown atlanta until the last day when we took a wrong turn.. there were at least 50 homeless people on one sidewalk walking in circles! reminded me of night of dawn of the dead lol

yeah you don't really realize how small downtown shreveport is until you go somewhere like atlanta or dallas.. or even birmingham.. I felt really safe at downtown atlanta until the last day when we took a wrong turn.. there were at least 50 homeless people on one sidewalk walking in circles! reminded me of night of dawn of the dead lol

lol I can imagine that feeling! I had a similar experience before I got out and walked around downtown Dallas. I didn't encounter homeless people wandering in circles, but I did encounter probably 50 of them in the breakfast line at a shelter. Come to think of it I ALWAYS see that same scene when I'm in downtown Dallas!

Anyway, Casey, to answer your question... it's just the feel, man. It's hard to explain. There's an energy unlike here and it reminds me so much of Chicago. There are so many thousands of apartments and condos in downtown Dallas and all those people are always walking around for exercise, walking their dogs, etc. There are stores and restaurants at street level everywhere, cops and safety patrol people, maintenance and construction crews actually working on Sundays on major jobs, and so on.

I actually told my wife this time that I realized I get a very euphoric (basically high) feeling when I know I'm driving into a city that size. I just feel so at home it's unreal, and then while this is home when I come back here I feel really bad about what all we're missing out on here.

Don't mistake me as trashing my city, I'll never do that. But there's just so much left to do before we can even be 1/10 of what some of those larger cities are. I felt the exact same way after my last urban exploration walk in downtown Houston. It's just unreal!

In a couple months I should be going back to Chicago, a city I'm really missing. I've been there as many times as I've been to Dallas and Houston and I feel at home there as well. I can't wait to walk around and photograph downtown Chicago more than I ever have in the past.

Archived