New Tallahassee Hospital?

fsubelch

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't really heard of much since the 1/2 cent measure was on the ballot last year. There was a little Talk of FSU partnering with a local group to build something near southwood, or on the Southside of town. Nothing ever came from it.

I'd like to see a medical campus downtown myself.

I think psycuda stated that St. Joe is looking into the possibility of putting a new hospital in their Southside development. However IMHO should any new hospital in Tally be built, it should ABSOLUTELY and DEFINITELY be a teaching hospital in affiliation w/FSU's Medical School!

There is a new Hospital being built by TMH. Is goign to be a extend care to help with people coming out of ICU. I talked with some of the people that will be working there the other night a wound care function. The name is Select Specialty Hospital. www.selectmedicalcorp.com

TMH has some FSU COM students as a branch campus, but it isn't a 'teaching hospital' in the traditional sense. It takes a LOT of local investment to make something like this happen. Orlando, for example, came up with about $!00 Million to get this going at UCF. FSU doesn't have that kind of support.

poonther,

UCF is getting a teaching hosptial and they have a newer hosptial than FSU. This is more about the community not making it happen than anything IMHO.

Bottom line, if we want one, the local community has to have the desire and the willingness to offer the money. FSU has some responsibility for not making this happen also.

poonther,

UCF is getting a teaching hosptial and they have a newer hosptial than FSU. This is more about the community not making it happen than anything IMHO.

Bottom line, if we want one, the local community has to have the desire and the willingness to offer the money. FSU has some responsibility for not making this happen also.

I think part of the reason we're being left behind is because we keep "fixing" the wrong things. It seems well never have money for the right things because we come up with something NEW to spend our extra money on each year, and when we don't we find something to change.

poonther,

I don't disagree with you. Still, when you are smaller like Tally is, you have to lazer focus on where you put your funds and make sure it counts. I don't think Tally does that well. This is one such example IMHO.

I think TJ touches on that (although he might disagree with me on details/examples).

"I think part of the reason we're being left behind is because we keep "fixing" the wrong things. It seems well never have money for the right things because we come up with something NEW to spend our extra money on each year, and when we don't we find something to change."

The city has spent 15 years and god knows how many millions of taxpayer money on Gaines Street for instance. What do we have to show for it? IMHO, this focus of resources could of been put on say a teaching hospital in the area. That would be an example of picking the right projects.

I think the research park FSU wanted to build was something the whole area should of gotten behind 100% and I don't think any of the players did. That would of had a MUCH bigger impact than so many of the projects I have seen Tally involved with.

I think Tally's biggest issue is, after choosing the wrong projects to dedicated resources to, is following through. It has been over a decade to get a convention hotel built and we still don't have one. Gaines Street has been talked about for 15 plus years and we are nowhere and the vision has been changed it seems. The PAC has been talked about for a long while also, once it seemed FSU would not be a partner, now it is just the COT, but we still seem to be nowhere on this.

Tally gets distracted by shinny projects that it loves to talk about, but at the end of the day never delivers on. If that focus was put on working with FSU to get research going, I think Tally would look like Austin, Madison, or Raleigh. But our leaders couldn't focus or get along with FSU and the seemed to ignore the substance and went straight for the flash. Economic diversity and higher incomes still escape the area and I place it at the feet of our local govt. Meanwhile, they are busy getting us a Walmart on Gaines Street.

I agree with St. Joe about the community getting behind the once proposed FSU research park. Our community needs a first class park and a research hospital. I do not know what to do besides keep pestering all the usual suspects at the county, city, chamber, and FSU to get this thing going. There is such a cooperative relationship between UF and Gainesville/Alachua County. Their Progress Park is being recongnized by venture capitalist, and the bio tech incubator is being nationally recognized. Furthermore, a Jacksonville Group, is talking about partnering with Alachua County to form a Research Triangle type entity. Question, where is Tallahassee in this discussion?

The Good Ole Boy system is very much still alive and well, especially in the real estate industry. This is why we continue to see so much of the same old sprawling developments popping up all over town with many of the same lame designs, and construction materials. They've got a lock on the market and they know it. Which is why I'm thankful for creations like Southwood, Fallschase, Welaunee, and all of those things going on downtown. I hate to say this, but this good ole boy system in Tallahassee, that operates behind the shades, is not interested in seeing Tallahassee become a creative community. They just want to ensure "them and their's" is taken care of. There's enough money in this said "network" to even fund this hospital we desire, and trust me, if one was needed where they live, there would be one.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived