New Office Tower Coming?

joeDowntown

According to the GRBJ, The Grubb / Ellis report on commercial occupancy rates lists downtown vacancies at the lowest in some time and the possibility of a new office development starting as soon as this year. Anyone want to give me any hints (and I doubt 275 Fulton would be it).

Joe

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
According to the GRBJ, The Grubb / Ellis report on commercial occupancy rates lists downtown vacancies at the lowest in some time and the possibility of a new office development starting as soon as this year. Anyone want to give me any hints (and I doubt 275 Fulton would be it).

Joe

That report from Ellis isn't surprising...walk down Monroe Center on these nice days at lunchtime, and there's business-folk everywhere looking for restaurants for lunch. I've also heard from employees at several smaller businesses that are currently out in the sprawl (cascade area) that, should they find an easy solution (i.e. doesn't break the bank) to parking, will look to move downtown once their leases are up.

I also know that my company is going to be relocating to a new building downtown in the next year or two...assuming the developer keeps on track on putting the bricks and mortar into place :)

There was a lot of talk a while back about a new macatawa tower that would be in this height range (12 stories), but I haven't the faintest idea if that is it or not.

I would be OK with parking requirements if there were maximum standards (more more than X spaces per whatever), but most conventional zoning codes have minimum standards (at least X spaces per whatever). That is a big part of the problem if you ask me.

If L/O were to come back, it'd probabally have a completely different design, or at least a modified one. Possibly a different location. The city gave them such hell for that. I'd love to see the lot next door to the 5/3rd building on Ottawa built up.

Archived