Riverfront may get $30 million tower (Up to 20 Stories)

RustTown

I thought I was hallucinating when I saw this title. It'll be interesting to see what height they finally decide on, and what it looks like. I thought we'd be getting in on this high-rise trend in this town afraid to take chances much further down the road. It's kind of sad that it has to go on the site of one of the oldest structures left downtown, but that seems to be the wages of progress, these days. A former plan at this site included incorporating parts of the historic club into a low-rise tower.

It appears that if the city votes to sell the parking garage to the developers (and they will), that the garage will get an upgrade. I'd personally like to see it demolished and the city build a new one on the other side of Grand Avenue as this literally sticks out into the Grand River, though.

BTW, with the lot being so small, this is going to mean a thin tower, meaning fewer units per floor, meaning some pretty high end condos. It's great this won't be a long, or fat building.

http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...EWS01/705150315

Riverfront may get $30 million tower

Developers want to build up to 20 stories of condos on former Lansing City Club site

Two area developers want to build Lansing's first condominium tower, a 12- to 20-story structure that would redefine the downtown riverfront.

The building, the cost of which the developers said would likely top $30 million, would rise from the site of the former City Club along the west bank of the Grand River.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The headline just screamed at me when I saw it online this morning. Needless to say, I'd be thrilled if this actually came to fruition.

I've been dreaming of a new tower downtown, ideally topping out higher than the 345ft limit of the Boji.

I was surprised by the size of the lot too, it appears to be adjacent to the Grand Tower. I'm not sure how asthetic the skyline would look with 2 "skyscrapers" side by side like that.

My dream has always been to have about three highrises on this side of Grand between the Grand Tower & Michigan Ave. This would be a great beginning to that. The site for the city club actually extends in an L shape to go along the river behind the adjacent three floor building. In fact I wouldn't doubt that they raze that three floor building for the project also, its still empty after it was restored several years ago.

I say take this sucker past 20 stories!

No, the City Club has been empty for years. It's one of the oldest standing structures still left in downtown, and it will be sad to see it go.

The chances that the city will sell the parking garage are almost 100%. Just last year (or was it the year before that?) the voters overwhelmingly sold the part of the Ottawa Street Station to the city that is in the river, so that's not really as much of a hurdle as they are making it sound.

Here is the rendering, scanned by Jared, from the paper, today of the 12-story version. It's easily one of the better condo towers I've seen planned in the state, IMO:

499729294_de070fe511_b.jpg

Doing a little research, I was just able to get an email back from the architect. He says that the 20-story tower is being tested for demand, but that the current 12-story design will rise 155' to the rooftop garden area, and 225' to the tip of the decorative spire. He also says that there is just sick (pent-up) potential in the condo market, at the moment, as just about everything downtown, development wise, has been apartments.

Doing a little research, I was just able to get an email back from the architect. He says that the 20-story tower is being tested for demand, but that the current 12-story design will rise 155' to the rooftop garden area, and 225' to the tip of the decorative spire. He also says that there is just sick (pent-up) potential in the condo market, at the moment, as just about everything downtown, development wise, has been apartments.

Lmich, do you think you can get a larger rendering from the architects, and maybe a rendering of the 20 floor design? Also, will you be adding this to Emporis? It sounds like we may already have enough info.

Also, I just found out from the architect that the 155' is only to the actual roof deck, and this can be seen in the rendering. The parapet wall rises to a height of 165'. I also got some info from one of the developers, the other night, that he's thinking he may be able to get something in between 15 and 20 floors.

BTW, I wasn't playing "gotcha" with your drawing. lol I just thought it looked pretty short for the 20-story version.

Also, I just found out from the architect that the 155' is only to the actual roof deck, and this can be seen in the rendering. The parapet wall rises to a height of 165'. I also got some info from one of the developers, the other night, that he's thinking he may be able to get something in between 15 and 20 floors.

BTW, I was playing "gotcha" with your drawing. lol I just thought it looked pretty short for the 20-story version.

• 6 months later...

Apparently this project is being developed by Robert Grooters Development Co. out of Grand Rapids, the same developer building Grand Rapids' River House right now:

http://www.lansingcitypulse.com/index.php?...1&Itemid=29

Seems the writer thinks Grand Rapids' cityscape is much more "sprawling and haphazard-like" than Lansing's. :rolleyes: (last paragraph)

Funny, the first time I looked at this thread today, I thought...hmmm, Lansing is responding to Grand Rapids' addition of River House. I'd be interested to see how this evolves.

I wouldn't call dt gr haphazard or sprawling. The skyline, maybe, but the whole? Not even close...it's beautiful density.

Funny, the first time I looked at this thread today, I thought...hmmm, Lansing is responding to Grand Rapids' addition of River House. I'd be interested to see how this evolves.

I wouldn't call dt gr haphazard or sprawling. The skyline, maybe, but the whole? Not even close...it's beautiful density.

Archived