Riverfront may get $30 million tower (Up to 20 Stories)

RustTown

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uh oh...

Anyway, I'd expect nothing less from a proud alternative newspaper. BTW, Grooters is a partner on this, they aren't the only developer. The brains behind the plan were two local developers. Grooters brings in the money and credibility.

BTW, a "good skyline" or a "better urban skyline" is a subjective opinion. It is not a fact. Whether one likes one skyline over the other is an opinion, so let's stop stating it as if it were some objective fact.

It's great to hear that this could possibly be 24 stories surpassing the 346-foot Michigan National Tower. I'd thought I'd never hear that.

Uh oh...

Anyway, I'd expect nothing less from a proud alternative newspaper. BTW, Grooters is a partner on this, they aren't the only developer. The brains behind the plan were two local developers. Grooters brings in the money and credibility.

BTW, a "good skyline" or a "better urban skyline" is a subjective opinion. It is not a fact. Whether one likes one skyline over the other is an opinion, so let's stop stating it as if it were some objective fact.

It's great to hear that this could possibly be 24 stories surpassing the 346-foot Michigan National Tower. I'd thought I'd never hear that.

Please don't get worked up on that. You're making this a bigger deal than it is.

I, of all people, understand civic pride but it's not like I'm attacking you or something you specifically designed. I'm not even attacking GR, I gave credit where it's due. GR has done an amazing job with street life and I look forward to the day when downtown Lansing (outisde of Washingotn Ave) can compete at that level. GR is doing a lot of amazing things, including the new River House (which looks amazing), the MSU medical expansion, etc.

However, the fact is that there is indeed a scoring system in place to rank skylines. I wasn't trying to start some bizarre municiple pissing contest. I'm done talking about it and I'm not responding to this subject again.

Now onto the more important, relevent and positive topic. This condo!

My wildest hopes were that this project would somehow reach 20 stories. Now to read that this is the expected height and they're possibly going to 24 stories makes me very excited. I took a walk down there this afternoon and tried to imagine this building rising above the Grand Tower. I can't wait to see this happen.

I'm very optimistic about the final height now that I've seen the website and the pricing information. http://www.capitolclubtower.com/

The council approving this as a renaissance zone building makes it very attractive from a price perspective.

Please, let's not ruin this thread with this absolutely ridiculous crap. The writer of the story made a passing and forgettable comment about the view from River House. It's nothing more or nothing less than that, and certaintly doesn't warrant all of these warring responses, and it's even more ridiculous that us small core of Lansing formers have a reputation for tearing down other cities when we realize how much further our little city still has to go.

Sabatoa,

I don't believe there will be anything atop Capitol Club Tower except the penthouse units. The restaurant and such will be on the bottom levels. I always thought it would be great if the city had some type of sky-top observation area, too.

There aren't any better renderings, but there are some floorplans and more details at the building's website: Capitol Club Tower

There isn't much for residential dowtown yet. There was almost no residential downtown until recently although there are several large buildings/complexes on the edge between downtown and the surrounding neighborhoods. Now virtually all the old 2-3 floor retail buildings have lofts on the upper floors, along with the Arbaugh and a few rowhouse projects, other than that we just have proposals.

Yeah, there is only one other market-rate residential high-rise downtown and that is Lansing Towers. Everything else, as Hood described, are mostly upper-level lofts and apartments. Lansing never got into the high-rise residential thing, but they may now be changing depending on how well this project sells.

I'm anxious to see more renderings, too, because the only one released thus far is the fairly rough preliminary rendering we've all seen.

• 2 weeks later...

The reason I keep up with Lansing, even though I have not lived in the city since LMichigan was in diapers, is because it is on the short list of cities I would consider moving to if I get a chance to move back to the Midwest. I lived in Lansing 2 out of the 4 years I attended MSU because it felt like a real city to me, compared to EastLansingHomeofMichiganStateUniversity.

I am looking forward to seeing Lansing develop as learns to exploit its many and diverse assets.

Time for a new tallest building!

The reason I keep up with Lansing, even though I have not lived in the city since LMichigan was in diapers, is because it is on the short list of cities I would consider moving to if I get a chance to move back to the Midwest. I lived in Lansing 2 out of the 4 years I attended MSU because it felt like a real city to me, compared to EastLansingHomeofMichiganStateUniversity.

I am looking forward to seeing Lansing develop as learns to exploit its many and diverse assets.

Time for a new tallest building!

• 1 year later...

It appears that the tower is well on its way to getting started soon. According to the January 5th council agenda, the Michigan DEQ has approved the towers' plans, which needs to happen for anything built right on the river like this tower is. Last I heard back in November, they were expecting to have shovels in the ground my February or March.

3166415312_eee2483b33_o.jpg

Check out the website:

http://capitolclubtower.com/

BTW, the tower is tentatively back down to 12 stories (156 feet without spire), but could still be raised to 18-stories before construction if reservations on the units pick up. It still includes space for a full-scale fitness club, a high-end restaurant and limited commercial/retail space on the ground floor if demand warrants.

• 2 months later...

Archived