Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

beerbeer

Providence named "Donut Capital" of America

21 posts in this topic

Heard it on the radio on the way to work. Providence has one donut shop for every 400 residents. Boston was second.

Heard it on the radio on the way to work. Providence has one donut shop for every 400 residents. Boston was second.

We have good donuts a la Allies in North Kingstown and Ma's in New Bedford.

We have good donuts a la Allies in North Kingstown and Ma's in New Bedford.

people, the only bad donut i have ever had was in Portland Oregon at a Winchells.

I have spoken. let us celebrate with a dozen.

people, the only bad donut i have ever had was in Portland Oregon at a Winchells.

Tim Hortons also has BAD DONUTS - They taste like a hostess cake and I dont think they are even fried. However any normal run of the mill donut will satisfy me quite nicely.

Looks like it's 1 per 4,000. I thought 1/400 seemed high.

Last year, the Boston area counted at least 1,210 doughnut shops, or one for every 5,143 residents - five times the national average, according to NPD Group, a Port Washington, N.Y., marketing-information company. Many of those shops are Dunkin' Donuts, a unit of Dunkin' Brands Inc. Among U.S. cities, only Providence, R.I., Boston's smaller neighbor, has more doughnut shops per capita, one for every 4,226 people.

I'm horrified, unless of course they also mentioned that Providence -- and this probably applies to Boston as well -- has a relatively high percentage of commuters who walk to work and a relatively low obesity rate (both of which, I believe, being facts from studies released in the past year).

I'm horrified, unless of course they also mentioned that Providence -- and this probably applies to Boston as well -- has a relatively high percentage of commuters who walk to work and a relatively low obesity rate (both of which, I believe, being facts from studies released in the past year).

Nothing to be horrified about.

The data actually relates to access to coffee...logical considering PVD's love of coffee.

Providence is also rated as #1 in rejection of "fast foods"...logical considering the high quality of it's restaurants.

Providence is also rated as #1 in rejection of "fast foods"...logical considering the high quality of it's restaurants.

You know, with such a high ratio, you'd think there'd be more Krispie Kreme stores...I know this is DD territory, but there's really no comparison between the two.

You know, with such a high ratio, you'd think there'd be more Krispie Kreme stores...I know this is DD territory, but there's really no comparison between the two.

i actually find krispy kreme to be kind of nasty compared to DD. the only KK donuts i like are the regular glazed, the others all taste funky and aren't cakey enough. of course, i can also eat an entire dozen KK glazed in a sitting, can't do that with DD.

KK is more of a destination than a morning rush provider.

And if this is really more about coffee than donuts, KKs coffee totally blows. :sick: So does Tim Hortons.

I think KK's coffee has gotten a lot better in the past few years. They introduced three different styles, rich, bold and something else...there is definitely an improvement.

KK did so well because they stuck to the simple. Coffee and Donuts, thats it. They got ahead of themselves and tried to grow too fast, but I am glad they did not go nuts with all the other BS that Dunkin is doing.

As for the donuts not being too cakey as someone mentioned, well that is because KK specializes more in the yeast raised style of donut while DD is more of a cake variety donut vendor. Each style has its fans.