Providence named "Donut Capital" of America

beerbeer

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like it's 1 per 4,000. I thought 1/400 seemed high.

Last year, the Boston area counted at least 1,210 doughnut shops, or one for every 5,143 residents - five times the national average, according to NPD Group, a Port Washington, N.Y., marketing-information company. Many of those shops are Dunkin' Donuts, a unit of Dunkin' Brands Inc. Among U.S. cities, only Providence, R.I., Boston's smaller neighbor, has more doughnut shops per capita, one for every 4,226 people.

I'm horrified, unless of course they also mentioned that Providence -- and this probably applies to Boston as well -- has a relatively high percentage of commuters who walk to work and a relatively low obesity rate (both of which, I believe, being facts from studies released in the past year).

I'm horrified, unless of course they also mentioned that Providence -- and this probably applies to Boston as well -- has a relatively high percentage of commuters who walk to work and a relatively low obesity rate (both of which, I believe, being facts from studies released in the past year).

Nothing to be horrified about.

The data actually relates to access to coffee...logical considering PVD's love of coffee.

Providence is also rated as #1 in rejection of "fast foods"...logical considering the high quality of it's restaurants.

i actually find krispy kreme to be kind of nasty compared to DD. the only KK donuts i like are the regular glazed, the others all taste funky and aren't cakey enough. of course, i can also eat an entire dozen KK glazed in a sitting, can't do that with DD.

I think KK's coffee has gotten a lot better in the past few years. They introduced three different styles, rich, bold and something else...there is definitely an improvement.

KK did so well because they stuck to the simple. Coffee and Donuts, thats it. They got ahead of themselves and tried to grow too fast, but I am glad they did not go nuts with all the other BS that Dunkin is doing.

As for the donuts not being too cakey as someone mentioned, well that is because KK specializes more in the yeast raised style of donut while DD is more of a cake variety donut vendor. Each style has its fans.

Archived