Jerry Falwell dead at 73

dimebag1980

Well let's face it: if you read the Bible it describes homosexuality as being a sin. If you are a fundamentalist, then you will believe that. If you're like most Christians, however, you may understand the Bible as being a book both human and divine, carrying with it the divine filtered through human prejudice. I am a Christian and a supporter of gay rights. We all interpret the Bible in a way most pleasing to our own view of the world.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Ah, you must have heard that at Mass. :lol: Of course there is no sin in just being homosexual to traditional Christians--even the Pope acknowledges that. It is the act, and it is mentioned in the Bible. Even liberal Christians believe the Sodom and Gomorah (spelling!!) story is mostly against homosexuality and not simply a condemnation of a village not being hospitable. If you are a fundamentalist you will take that face value; if not, then you will ponder it, and make up your mind one way or the other.

I am aware that there are Christians who are demons out there. They have not to my knowledge, however, taken to the streets in large numbers demanding that the free world revert back to the 14th Century as fundamentalist Muslims have done in Europe. Fundy Christians, are, for the most part, products of a free world, so they will talk a lot, write a lot of letters, cry about not getting their way, and then go home and watch Desperate Housewives.

I mean no disrespect to the Islamic faith---it is one of many that has been hijacked. In its case, however, the numbers are larger, and the people more militant.

The Bible says much, much more about compassion than it does about homosexuality or abortion. To take the point of view of the fundamentalists requires ignoring the core of Christianity's message.

9/11 was committed by fundamentalists, but it was a political attack, not a religious one. CHristianity has a much longer history of religions violence than does Islam. People like Falwell would be happy to return to the days of the Inquisition oand the Crusades.

I agree with your first two sentences. The Crusades were political, the IRA in Ireland is/was political, King Henry was political, Bloody Mary was political---most religious bloodshed has been political. I am speaking in the here and now though. What have the world religions done lately, and I must say that Islam is in the grips of a fundamentalist militant group of people that is distinct from our rather dull selection of Christian fundies. To compare the two is unfair at this time.

I doubt people like Falwell would want to return to the days of the Inquisition inasmuch he would be burned at the stake for being Protestant.

Yes it does. If you can't read the headlines of the world and not come to that conclusion.....My God in this nation we're fighting with the fundies over abortion and gay marriage. Do you think those things would even be issues in the Muslim world?

I can't help but rejoice in the demise of a man who spread so much hate. Good riddance, Jerry, and may Fred, Donald and Pat join you soon. I will say that Fred Phelps is much worse than the other three, but they are all evil in their own way.

I can't help but rejoice in the demise of a man who spread so much hate. Good riddance, Jerry, and may Fred, Donald and Pat join you soon. I will say that Fred Phelps is much worse than the other three, but they are all evil in their own way.

So much hatred in this thread. It's truly a shame. I merely said I didn't agree with the man in life and I wish he'd been different, but some people here are just downright sick and hateful. If I'd known this thread would go that direction I'd never have posted it. Someone else would have, though, I suppose.

*sigh*

Despite what Falwell stood for, why so much hatred? Hitler had the blood of innocents on his hands... as far as we know Falwell didn't. He just had extremist views. But to be so hateful toward him, and especially in his death, is sick.

So what if he spoke out agains gays, blacks, Mexicans, women, or any other groups. As an American, right or wrong, he was allowed to speak his mind. Why hate him for it?

People can be some sick ass beotchs.

Are you saying there are alot of fat southern white people??? Sounds like a little bigotry rearing it's ugly head. Definetly a double standard.

True Falwell didn't murder folks, but his life was filled with hate, meanness, and intolerance. He wasn't as dangerous as Hitler, but he was pretty damn dangerous. He brought MISERY to countless lives.

Posters here have said all the things I think about Falwell, so I won't repeat them again.

An interesting aside: from all indications it appears America is headed into the next political cycle--the progressive cycle. The last liberal cycle was roughly 1963-1980.

From 1980 to the present we've been enduring the conservative part of the cycle. This conservative cycle is about dead. Bush's poll numbers are almost frightening. The allure of the right is dead. Reagan and Falwell were an integral part of the movement, and now both are dead. The right wingers don't even have an annointed fanatic candidate for the Presidency in 2008.

None of us wants to celebrate anyone's death, no matter how horrible the person was. But I can't help but think that the world is a MUCH BETTER PLACE without Jerry Laymon Falwell.

the majority of muslims do not believe in the same things that the fundamentalists do. we only hear about the fundamentalists and their twisted version of the religion because it makes for good news headlines. the silent majority, while they may not believe in 100% freedom like many americans do think that 9/11 was a travesty and that the killing of innocent people simple for being free, being open, and believing in different gods is a sin.

again, you're forgetting about the fundamentalist christians right here in the good ole USA who commit terrorist acts (however they will never be tried as terrorists because bush thinks abortion is bad) in the bombing of abortion clinics simply because they feel that abortion is a sin and they are taking the work of "god" into their own hands, much like islamic terrorists who take the work of "allah" into their own hands (both god and allah quotated because the fundamentalist version of god and allah is not the true version).

regarding sodom and gomorrah, the bible does not say they were homosexuals. i have no reason to believe they were. and as christians, most of the belief structure comes from the new testament with jesus, who says absolutely nothing about homosexuals. the fundamentalists believe in the old testment god who was harsh and unforgiving and ignore the new testment god who was loving, caring, and most importantly, forgiving. christianity, by name, is the following of jesus, something that fundamentalists don't do.

i see no difference between islamic fundamentalists who preach hatred towards americans and christian fundamentalists who preach hatred towards gays (and in the case of falwell, women as well).

I'm wondering why people are scared to talk badly about a horrible human being after death. The guy was a hate-monger, he was the farthest thing from being any sort of positive spiritual influence, and helped to destroy countless other lives. I'm thinking he's about to get what he deserves....

Ironies of Ironies, Fred Phelps of the God hates f**s and God hates America crowd plans on picketing the memorial service for Jerry Falwell to show all America what a charlatan and liar he was. Amazing Mr. Phelps should thank his lucky stars for Jerry Falwell because Mr. Falwell made a Fred Phelps possible in the first place.

Some other Phelps statements:

God hates Billy Graham

Goh hates Al Gore

God hates Canada

God hates Sweden

God hates the US Armed Forces.

Falwell didn't say these things outloud. He probably supported all of Phelp's agenda in secret. If they were both beers, Falwell was Phelps-lite.

Some other Phelps statements:

God hates Billy Graham

Goh hates Al Gore

God hates Canada

God hates Sweden

God hates the US Armed Forces.

Falwell didn't say these things outloud. He probably supported all of Phelp's agenda in secret. If they were both beers, Falwell was Phelps-lite.

Again, I have no love for the Haggards and Falwells of the world. But to compare fundamentalist Christianity to fundamentalist Islam is the most unfair and innacurate comparison I think I've ever read on here. The two are incomparable. Again, Fundy Christians are a product of the free world. They cannot help but be influenced by that. Fundy Muslims are not. We would not be having this discussion in Muslim territories, where men kill their wives with impunity, stone gay people and people who like to have sex outside of marriage, et al.

I do agree that the busy-bodies on the Christian right would probably try to outlaw abortion (if they could), erase all channels but Disney (actually, scratch that, they're boycotting Disney, the Weather Channel then), and force our kids to learn intelligent design. But it's not going to happen. It's never going to happen.

Archived