Jerry Falwell dead at 73

dimebag1980

So much hatred in this thread. It's truly a shame. I merely said I didn't agree with the man in life and I wish he'd been different, but some people here are just downright sick and hateful. If I'd known this thread would go that direction I'd never have posted it. Someone else would have, though, I suppose.

*sigh*

Despite what Falwell stood for, why so much hatred? Hitler had the blood of innocents on his hands... as far as we know Falwell didn't. He just had extremist views. But to be so hateful toward him, and especially in his death, is sick.

So what if he spoke out agains gays, blacks, Mexicans, women, or any other groups. As an American, right or wrong, he was allowed to speak his mind. Why hate him for it?

People can be some sick ass beotchs.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Falwell was a net negative for the world, and the world is better without his ilk having the ear of the power structure.

This death has been most interesting though, there's actually been some rather extreme public bashing of the man a day after his death:

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0705/15/acd.01.html

If you want to read more, go about half way down the page.

I haven't been watching all the Falwellian news, so perhaps this has already been brought up. But just in case it hasn't: I'm looking forward to hearing reflections of Falwell from Larry Flynt and Tammy Faye Bakker.

Larry Flynt was perhaps Falwell's #1 nemisis. They periodically sued each other over the years, publically insulted one another for decades, and even appeared before the US Supreme Court as adversaries! In later years, the two actually began doing public debates together, and had even developed a certain tolerance for the other! A totally unlikely friendship.....will be interesting to hear Flynt's reflections on Falwell and his relationship with him.

And the other is Tammy Faye Bakker, who at one time probably hated Falwell more than the rest of us combined. In the 1980s, reptilian Falwell tricked the Bakkers into incriminating themselves on paper and thus they lost their theme park etc. Tammy Faye Bakker experienced a severe depression afterwards, and her hatred for Falwell was public knowledge. Even though I understand in later years she forgave Falwell. 1% of Tammy is more loving and empathetic than 100% of Falwell.

Those two certainly must have interesting perceptions of Falwell.

I have to say, even in recent years, my personal hatred for Falwell had waned. I guess we all soften up with age-hehheee

The owner of Hustler magazine isn't exactly a role model for the community either. If a religious fanatic and the owner of a smut magazine want to get into a dog fight that is their business. What concerns me is the message these people send to the community at large and how destructive both are to society.

Both gained fame and fortune by abusing the the freedoms we have.

The owner of Hustler magazine isn't exactly a role model for the community either. If a religious fanatic and the owner of a smut magazine want to get into a dog fight that is their business. What concerns me is the message these people send to the community at large and how destructive both are to society.

Both gained fame and fortune by abusing the the freedoms we have.

Falwell was a net negative for the world, and the world is better without his ilk having the ear of the power structure.

This death has been most interesting though, there's actually been some rather extreme public bashing of the man a day after his death:

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0705/15/acd.01.html

If you want to read more, go about half way down the page.

So there seems to be a polar opposite composite of thought here.

Some folks think Falwell might have been even worse in private than his public persona. They wonder if Falwell didn't secretly agree with Ayatollah Phelps, and keep it to himself.

Then the other side thinks Falwell might have just been a goofy attention whore, willing to say whatever outrageous comment it took to get back in the public light.....perhaps he didn't believe his own preaching (??)

Doesn't seem to be much thought in the middle about this.

Archived