Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

seicer

[Fayetteville] Various news

1 post in this topic

Remaking history in Fayetteville

Notes --

1. The Fayetteville building is being restored. The building, constructed in 1907, is listed on the National Historic Trust. It is located near the Fayette County Bank and Fayette County Courthouse -- both also on the historic register.

1a. It was a grocery store until 1927 -- owned by the Wendell Brothers. The Janutolos purchased the building and renovated it (1927), operating a jewelry store and soda shop. The upstairs became lawyer offices and an office for the state Road commission.

1b. It was later Hess Supply and Christian Pharmacy.

1c. In later years, the upper floors held the Fayette County Public Defenders.

2. The restoration of the exterior is a tedious task. One cannot sandblast the exterior, so the facade is being cleaned by hand.

3. The awnings will be installed soon as well, and will be historically accurate.

4. The tin ceiling was restored -- which includes 100 hours of labor, primer for the ceiling at $50/gallon, and a finish coat at $110/gallon.

5. The building is being restored without a tenant in mind.

5a. The upper floors will be restored into small apartments.

6. The restoration is being conducted by Carlson, who works with a real estate company that is developing The Ledges at New River Gorge. The offices will occupy a small part of the bottom floor of the restored building. That room has a large window that faces the Historic Fayette Theatre, built in 1935.

Article information: "Remaking history in Fayetteville, By Susan Williams, Charleston Gazette, May 15, 2007"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.