Green Providence

CtownMikey

Not sure if anyone knows about this website... but it'd sure be cool for Providence to win. I figured this is a good site to post it on, and hopefully a snowball effect will occur within the city :) The prize is a fleet of 100 hybrid taxis!

http://better.yahoo.com/planet/

Unfortunately, like an idiot, I already registered under Cranston, but I'm rooting for Providence.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know anything about "Natural Cleaners" drycleaners on Elmgrove (in Providence)? The woman working there said that they used a wet cleaning process, but we were both in a hurry so I didn't get any more details. A quick google search seems to show that wet cleaning is better for the environment (and the wearer of the clothers) than dry cleaning, but I don't know any more than that. Has anyone used this place? Do you like it?

Does anyone know anything about "Natural Cleaners" drycleaners on Elmgrove (in Providence)? The woman working there said that they used a wet cleaning process, but we were both in a hurry so I didn't get any more details. A quick google search seems to show that wet cleaning is better for the environment (and the wearer of the clothers) than dry cleaning, but I don't know any more than that. Has anyone used this place? Do you like it?

• 4 weeks later...

A study by the National Resources Defense Council published this month entitled "Addicted to Oil: Ranking States' Oil Vulnerability and Solutions for Change" ranked Rhode Island as the 4th least vulnerable to changes in oil prices as measured by the % of 2006 income spent on gas by individual drivers (2.85% or $1,058.79).

RI also ranked 11 out of 50 for transit spending as a % of highway spending in 2005 (14.59%). Of course, this pales in comparison to NY (#1 at 51.70%) or Mass (#3 at 45.17%).

Enjoy some light reading :)

http://docs.nrdc.org/air/air_07061901a.pdf

• 1 month later...

Anyone interested in Urban Ecology and Landscape Issues may be interested in this Lecture tonight (Thursday August 16th):

SUSTAINABLE LANDSCAPES SALON

Thursday August 16th

6:00-7:30 pm

158 Washington Street

Providence, Rhode Island

Admission is Free!

American Institute of Architects RI Committee on the Environment presents a roundtable discussion following presentations on the following themes:

Wil Gates, ASLA

"Can Sustainable Landscapes meet Public's Culturally Ingrained Expectations for Aesthetics?"

Ron Henderson, ASLA, AIA

"Integrating Urban Landscapes and Ecology"

Louis Raymond

"Growing the Community, Greening the City:

Allotment Gardens in Providence"

• 3 months later...
It's been proposed in the Cape Cod Canal. The currents are very strong there as each end has different tides. When originally proposed it was only projected to create enough power to light the bridges and a few Army Corp buildings, but that was over a decade ago, the technology must have improved.

OK -- before everyone gets carried away with the idea of wave energy, consider who is going to administer this effort! This is the same bunch of state bozos -- governor and general assembly --- who in developing the budget, couldn't figure out that it would cost more to send kids to the adult prison system than to keep them in juvenile facilities --- because they didn't bother to check their budget projections with the agency managing the system! With no technical expertise for this technology in the state, no way of evaluating whether this Australian firm knows what it's doing, and no way to adjust its fiscal arrangement for the next 20 years --- yep, sounds like a typical Rhode Island contract! Lots of room to do deals with buddies (and who knows, Buddy, too!) while the public pays the bill.

Why is the state in the business of running an energy facility! This should be regulated for the public benefit just like any other energy utility, but the state shouldn't be managing it.

Archived