Green Providence

CtownMikey

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

So since my units all have programmable thermostats, replacement vinyl windows, compact fluerescent bulbs and low flow shower heads does that make me a green lumpy dufflebag slumlord?

Surprising that TheAnk runs a green ship?? Or is green just an excuse to be a cheap LL??

Of course, my units are only green on delivery (G.O.D.)... Once a bulb burns out people NEVER replace them with CFLs, only with incandescent.. And they generally replace my low flow shower head with some elephant trunk without telling me..

And on extremely rare cases actually steal my thermostats (truth) and even rarer the vinyl windows (lie, but TBD, I think it will happen)..

So they are actually only partially green units.. Very telling about our renter populations' thoughts on energy consumption..

So since my units all have programmable thermostats, replacement vinyl windows, compact fluerescent bulbs and low flow shower heads does that make me a green lumpy dufflebag slumlord?

Surprising that TheAnk runs a green ship?? Or is green just an excuse to be a cheap LL??

Of course, my units are only green on delivery (G.O.D.)... Once a bulb burns out people NEVER replace them with CFLs, only with incandescent.. And they generally replace my low flow shower head with some elephant trunk without telling me..

And on extremely rare cases actually steal my thermostats (truth) and even rarer the vinyl windows (lie, but TBD, I think it will happen)..

So they are actually only partially green units.. Very telling about our renter populations' thoughts on energy consumption..

There's a new store downtown called BRYCE Organics. I guess they specialize in 100% organic skin care stuff, made with all "green" packaging, etc. I looked it up, www.bryceorganics.com, I don't see the location on the website, but I remember seeing it near Weybosset. Cool stuff.

i moved into a place that had all incandescent bulbs and a regular thermostat. i replaced 90% of the bulbs (the others either can't take CFL's or aren't used enough to warrant switching, like closet lights). i also replaced the thermostat with a programmable one... which reduced oil usage to the point where the oil company has called me 3 times now asking if everything is working properly because they didn't have to fill the tank every month.

i'm not a fan of low flow shower heads, but i use whatever's already here.

Green event on June 2 with our esteemed Senate delegation

The Woonasquatucket River Watershed Council cordially invites you to the Celebration of the Rising Sun Mills Fish Ladder on Monday, June 2nd, 2008 at 10am at Rising Sun Mills, 166 Valley Street, Providence RI, 02909. Please join us and our partners, the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service and Struever Brothers Eccles & Rouse, Inc., to celebrate this historic grand opening. This season is the first time in over 140 years that oceangoing fish have been able to venture upstream of this dam.

This grand opening represents the launch of a much larger plan to restore the Woonasquatucket River to spawning, oceangoing fish. This Fish Ladder will open the Woonasquatucket River as a safe haven for the alewife herring to come back to our river for many years to come. This is just the first step to making our river accessible and restoring the population of aquatic life in Rhode Island. Within the next few years, we have plans that will allow fish to bypass the first five dams on the river opening up spawning habitat for about 40,000 adult herring.

Senator Jack Reed and Senator Sheldon Whitehouse have agreed to attend and speak at this event. We have invited press and media as well and we would be honored if you could attend.

Please call 401-861-9046 or email Alicia Lehrer at [email protected] if you plan to attend.

We hope to see you on June 2nd at Rising Sun Mills.

• 2 months later...

Green Zone is an organic vegetable, herb, and flower garden installation located at Firehouse 13 in Providence for the summer of 2008. It is planted in the detritus of wartime consumption: used tires, plastic shopping bags, and discarded shoes. Stop by anytime and talk to the plants: 41 Central St. Providence.

Green Zone is part of this weekend's ProvFlux V: August 7-10. As the PIPSters put it: "Part carnival and part conference, ProvFlux brings together artists, theorists, urban adventurers and the general public to share their visions of what the city can be, and to take action to make it a reality."

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

There are a few electronics recyclers in the area, but I can't remember names off-hand. There's one in Cumberland just over the bridge from CF - Green Tech? But my sources at FreeGeekPVD.org only use a service in EP as they are the only company that is totally transparent.

The issue with recyclers is: what do they do with the stuff the DON'T recycle. Apparently, most recyclers will not disclose that information.

This 60 Minutes story exposes a Colorado company that was illegally shipping their unrecycled waste to China. Totally illegal.

Some stuff is easy and profitable to recycle, other parts take longer and require more safety precautions to safely get, say, gold or mercury or arsenic out of e-waste.

Archived