NWA Skyline

Sammy00

See, I'm not so sure about that.

One of the reasons places like New York and London and heck, even Eureka Springs are neat is because of the streetscape, the walkability and the diversity of options available to a person on the ground level.

I'd say nice streetscapes are as rare as nice skylines. Austin and Fort Worth do have both.

Downtown Dallas has a spectacular skyline, but its streetscape is struggling in many ways compared to the others.

If I had to choose, I'd take a nice connected, infill streetscape over a mega tall skyline any day.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
See, I'm not so sure about that.

One of the reasons places like New York and London and heck, even Eureka Springs are neat is because of the streetscape, the walkability and the diversity of options available to a person on the ground level.

I'd say nice streetscapes are as rare as nice skylines. Austin and Fort Worth do have both.

Downtown Dallas has a spectacular skyline, but its streetscape is struggling in many ways compared to the others.

If I had to choose, I'd take a nice connected, infill streetscape over a mega tall skyline any day.

I wouldn't say Dallas has a spectacular skyline, it is nice but a city that size would traditionally have FAR more of a skyline than Dallas. Personally, I think Dallas and LA are almost like temples built to honor the vehicle god...

http://www.gallagher.com/art_photos/chicag...ke_michigan.jpg

That is a skyline, of course Chicago is larger than Dallas but it isn't much more than twice as large, but it has ten times the skyline. At the same time, while it is goofy for us to aim at Dallas it is even more so for us to aim at Chicago.

However, Tulsa and Little Rock are skylines we can aim for...

Dallas has a great skyline but it's not as impessive as one would expect for a metro that size.

Why? Well the DFW metro is spread out and Ft Worth has a separate respectable downtown business center. The main reason, though, is that Dallas developed in the age of the automobile - it grew exponentially in the the decades starting with the 1950s on and is still booming. It never had the density older cities like Chicago have and you can't recreate that.

Cities like Dallas and Atlanta won't catch up with Chicago's skyline even if their population catches up which isn't totally inconceivable.

I absolutely love Dallas. I like the atmosphere of the city. That's why I have it as my little icon thingy. :) I personally like Dallas' skyline. It's not that big, it's not that small. It's great. As for Fayetteville's skyline, I really like how as you're coming up over the hill (going northbound on 540) as you reach the top of it, you see Old Main and the rest of Fayetteville. It's sort of overlooking all of NWA. Once I see this, I know that I'm home.

I absolutely love Dallas. I like the atmosphere of the city. That's why I have it as my little icon thingy. :) I personally like Dallas' skyline. It's not that big, it's not that small. It's great. As for Fayetteville's skyline, I really like how as you're coming up over the hill (going northbound on 540) as you reach the top of it, you see Old Main and the rest of Fayetteville. It's sort of overlooking all of NWA. Once I see this, I know that I'm home.

Dallas does have a great skyline. I especially like the fact that each building really stands out instead of being crowded by so many other tall buildings like Chicago and New York. And how many cities have a Reunion Tower to easily identify the city? Seattle has the Space Needle and New York "had" the WTC. Chicago has the monolithic Sears Tower.

I think NWA has too many hills for a really good skyline to appear, whereas Dallas, Chicago and most other cities with great skylines are in flat terrain. If NWA was flat Fayetteville's current skyline would be more pronounced than it is. NWA may not have a noticeable skyline, but it would be nice to have an identifiable landmark like a tower.

I would actually say that the Hancock Center is more "Chicago" than the Sears Tower. They are very close and obviously the ST is taller (as is the Aeon building), but the Hancock Center has a very different design than any other skyscraper.

Until I looked at another site about this subject, I didn't realize that three of the four tallest skyscrapers in North America are in Chicago. Here is a really nice pic of Chicago's skyline:

Chicago_Skyline_Crop_Labeled_2560_ver2.jpg

This is quite a distance from the Hancock Center so it appears smaller than many other buildings in the foreground, but a different angle would actually show it standing out MORE from it's immediate surroundings than the other two super tall buildings...

This though takes the cake...

Chicago Spire

THAT will be the Chicago landmark to identify the city...

Good Lord. I would really love to actually see either the Chicago Spire or the Burj Dubai in person (whenever they're done). It is just crazy how tall these buildings are becoming. For us, anything over 15 stories is considered tall, but 150+ and 160+...unbelievable.

To me, the prettiest part (and largest part for that matter...) of the skyline one sees when first driving in from the south is really U of A and not downtown... The Hill does a good job of amplifying the buildings there from that angle...

To me, the prettiest part (and largest part for that matter...) of the skyline one sees when first driving in from the south is really U of A and not downtown... The Hill does a good job of amplifying the buildings there from that angle...

Archived