Richmond's History

Cadeho

With our 400th anniversay here in Richmond approaching, I thought we could have a thread to post interesting things specifically about our history. Anything anyone can find about various parts in our history, known and unknown, please do so. It's always interesting to find out new things about our city's past.

I found a neat site about the 1607 exploration up the James and our region's earliest recorded history.

http://www.vahistorical.org/falls/expeditions.htm

I find the part about Powhatan's village on Tree Hill quite interesting. I know from the charettes for Tree Hill they discussed the preservation of a village site in the flood plain. I wonder what exactly have they found on the hill itself.

Then the part about three islands on the south bank down from the falls is interesting. It's amazing how much the James has changed in the past centuries with islands disappearing and new ones forming and such. If the site of these islands is across from Rocketts and they've become a part of the mainland, it's exciting to me. I explored that part of the bank this past winter and the winter before (sorry the pics from both times haven't been uploaded yet) and it's a creepy area. there is a trail that leads off into the woods into nowhere and it's oddly hilly in spots. Could this be where water once ran? Oh and there's an ancient-looking tree that's just huge there, imagine what stories it can tell.

Any tidbits, sites, self-exploration, discoveries are welcomed.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

I first noticed those guys back in 1995 when I was walking my dog (from my aunt's old house in Fulton Hill). One of them was a neighbor of mine in Woodville who grew up on Lousiana St. I interviewed him in 1999 for a project in college about Fulton. Looking at old Sanborn maps, I find Fulton a very sad story. In 1987, there were a few of the old houses still standing, but they were demolished for Fulton Manor a few years later. There was a store at Orleans and Old Williamsburg still in business until about 10 years ago. I had mapped Fulton around 1995 including the vacant blocks.

I have had an interest in getting one of the new homes on the new Louisiana St. I should upload my pics of the undeveloped portion of Fulton with all the artifacts of the past neighborhood here and there. I explored a couple of the new houses while they were under construction and I also spoke with the builder who showed me the map he had just gotten approved for the rest of the new neighborhood. I really wanted that house up on the hill with the view of downtown. Well always Goddin St. I hope they don't move the man with the rancher... I wish they had kept their original house there. It looked neat.

Thanks Burt... I'll write more later possibly. I didn't get to finish the article.

I first noticed those guys back in 1995 when I was walking my dog (from my aunt's old house in Fulton Hill). One of them was a neighbor of mine in Woodville who grew up on Lousiana St. I interviewed him in 1999 for a project in college about Fulton. Looking at old Sanborn maps, I find Fulton a very sad story. In 1987, there were a few of the old houses still standing, but they were demolished for Fulton Manor a few years later. There was a store at Orleans and Old Williamsburg still in business until about 10 years ago. I had mapped Fulton around 1995 including the vacant blocks.

I have had an interest in getting one of the new homes on the new Louisiana St. I should upload my pics of the undeveloped portion of Fulton with all the artifacts of the past neighborhood here and there. I explored a couple of the new houses while they were under construction and I also spoke with the builder who showed me the map he had just gotten approved for the rest of the new neighborhood. I really wanted that house up on the hill with the view of downtown. Well always Goddin St. I hope they don't move the man with the rancher... I wish they had kept their original house there. It looked neat.

Was Louisiana Street near Admiral Gravely Blvd, or was it further west nearer the docks?

Thanks Burt... I'll write more later possibly. I didn't get to finish the article.

Louisiana St was and still is one block south of Admiral Gravely. It used to run from Main St to Goverment Rd. Today, one block of Louisiana is a remnant with exposed trolly tracks and red paving block peeking through the pavement between 37

• 3 weeks later...

More ACORN awards for renovations of various city properties as reported in today"s inRich. Journi will be interested to see that his home is listed and that a restaurant is planned for his ground floor. :)

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news/busines...10-07-0106.html

Well since they didnt name the restuarant I wont hold my breath... especially considering it hasnt materialized at this point anyways...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Here's a great link for this thread I came across at Carver/Jackson Ward News:

The Richmond Discover Our Shared Heritage Travel Itinerary

From the National Park Service

The National Park Service's Heritage Education Services, the City of Richmond, Richmond National Battlefield Park and the Maggie L. Walker National Historic Site, and the Virginia Department of Historic Resources, in partnership with the National Conference of State Historic Preservation Officers proudly invite you to explore Richmond, the State Capital of Virginia. Richmond is one of the oldest and most historically and architecturally rich communities in the United States. This Discover Our Shared Heritage Travel Itinerary explores the city and highlights 87 historic places listed in the National Register of Historic Places that together bring three centuries of history in Richmond to life.

• 3 months later...

I may be placing this in the wrong thread, but it certainly deals with the city's history. The inRich story says that digging will begin at a site EAST of Main Street Station in the quest to uncover Lumpkins Jail.

I thought the site of the slave jail was WEST of the station. Shockoe Creek's underground channel is between MSS and 17th Street, isn't it?

http://www.inrich.com/content/cva/ric/news...08-05-0092.html

• 4 weeks later...

Rarely does anyone here repeat stories in different threads. Earlier today, I posted this under VCU Development relative to the University's deeding of land for excavations along the Richmond Slave Trail.

The story by Will Jones of inRich combined with the illuminating video and pictures of Ancarrow's landing is worthy of repeating.

Phil Riggan of the Richmond Times Dispatch has compiled a thoughtful and reverent photographic history of Richmond's Slave Trail. Take a look at his video and the slide show.

http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/news.apx.-co...08-29-0116.html

And how lucky is Richmond to have Ralph White, manager of the James River Park System!

This site deals more with the James River and lagoons in the Richmond area. There are numerous videos and slide shows which will entertain and inform for hours.

The Richmond Times Dispatch and its dedicated writers must be applauded for features such as this.

Enjoy, courtesy of inRich:

http://www.discoverrichmond.com/dis/sports...wild_side/1555/

Cam, I think you will find this site particularly interesting.

Thanks Burt. Although I can't see videos, I love being by the river. I don't know if that's a Pisces thing. I didn't know Williams Island was even open to the public. If I had nothing else to do, I'd be at the river... not in it Tommy... but by it with some bug spray!

• 1 month later...

Archived