Best Pizza in town?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to get pizza from time to time at Decent Pizza on north Monroe but got treated very rudely by some snotty employees and never went back. Kind of turned me off when I ordered a pizza they had on their menu and the clerk taking my order got snotty and tried to claim they didn't make that type and never did. Kept it up even though I showed her where it was on the menu. Asked for the manager and she refused. Didn't feel like pursuing it so I left and never went back.

I'm a customer with a "three strikes rule"...I normally give a restaurant three strikes before I never go back but some restaurants go so over-the-top with nastyness that the three strikes gets used up in one visit. Godfathers Pizza was a victim of my three-strikes rule with the final strike coming when one of their delivery drivers came roaring around the side of the building and nearly plowed into me. I was mad enough to go inside and demand to see the manager. While I was speaking with him, trying hard not to lose my temper, the teenage delivery driver showed back up, was confronted by the manager and tried to deny it saying it was my fault and I almost ran into HIM. Fortunately I had witnesses who were still in the restaurant whom were more than willing to tell the manager what they saw which backed up my story. The idiot teen still denied it. Then stormed off. I don't know if he got fired or what because I told the manager that this was the final straw. And I never went back.

The old Po'Folks that used to be on the Parkway was also a victim of that for me.

Julies Place on north Monroe is teetering on the edge with me after some incredibly bad service where the 20-something manager actually ran and hid from my Dad after we waited 45 minutes for appaetizers which the waitress brought out to our table then proclaimed..."oops these aren't yours" although we could clearly see they were outs. And then she scooted back into the kitchen never to be seen again. My Dad eventually got up to go into the kitchen to find someone and the manager saw him coming down the hallway, did an about-face and hid. There was only one other group (of two) in the entie place and they were having desert!

Since I found out Julie's Place is under new management I will probably give 'em another opportunity to wipe the slate clean with something good, but I'm in no hurry.

I generally work by the 3 strikes and your out rule too Beukeboom. And once your on my sh** list, you'll never see me again. Osaka comes to mind w/this. However Barnaby's was the exception...that place only took one visit for me.

Julie's, I've never been. It just looks so dated....I lived through the 80's and had a great time, but I really don't wanna repeat it at a restaurant. :)

I totally agree with the three strikes rule. The Ale House is on strike two right now. Last time I was there, our snotty waitress seemed to think she was too good to serve people. My fish and chips was lacking hushpuppies (why else get fish and chips?!), and even after asking three times, I never received them. Then, when I asked for a to go cup, she literally threw it at me. Luckily, it was just the cup. :wacko:

Hungry Howies on the Parkway only needed one strike (well, then I moved to another part of town). We ordered from this store like once a week.. I had called in an order and picked it up on my way home one day. WHen I got home, it was completely wrong. I called the store, and was told that I could bring it back and they would have the right order. I was sooo not feeling going out again, so I asked if they could deliver it. Nope. Then I wanted a refund - the only thing they could offer was a credit. Okay - give me the credit, then I want to place a delivery order. Nope. Apparently pick up credits are not the same as delivery credits. Even though they have free delivery. :shok: I finally got a refund when I told the manager that I would never be ordering from them again.

Heh, we went to Julie's once, honestly the place gave me the raging heebie-jeebies.

Don't try non-chain pizza too often; Hungry Howie's is my favourite (garlic butter crust mmmmm!) but we usually get Domino's since that's what down here. Do any of the local places have stuffed crust besides Pizza Hut? The PH in Crawfordville is Not A Place You Really Want To Go To.

Did try Itza Pizza, the pizza was pretty good but the chicken parmasan sub...CP is supposed to be fried! Not little strips of grilled chicken!!! :angry:

I have to whole heartedly disagree with that statement. Your birth origin does not dictate if you can tell if pizza is bad or not. Barnaby's to me is the "safe" option for people who aren't too keen on foreign food. That's my humble opinion. Taste of course is subjective. I don't even really classify Barnaby's as real pizza.

Barnaby's to me is just a relic. I hate the whole look of the place, the way you have to order your drinks separately, the lousy way they handle their salad bar (that plate of iceberg they give you and you can't get more). It's past its prime and is definitely running on the fumes of nostalgia as poonther said.

Okay, I know I'm dating myself in a major way but who here remembers the old Shakey's Pizza chain back when it was nationwide? I know it's still around but in a very limited, regional basis. My parents would take me to one in Memphis, TN from time to time way back when I was a little rug-rat and I remember an old time coin operate automated band -- complete with banjo, piano, percussion...the whole works. One dime allowed you to play your choice of 5 songs (depending upon what rolls they had in it at the time).

Okay, I know I'm dating myself in a major way but who here remembers the old Shakey's Pizza chain back when it was nationwide? I know it's still around but in a very limited, regional basis. My parents would take me to one in Memphis, TN from time to time way back when I was a little rug-rat and I remember an old time coin operate automated band -- complete with banjo, piano, percussion...the whole works. One dime allowed you to play your choice of 5 songs (depending upon what rolls they had in it at the time).

I remember the Shakey's here in Orlando they showed old Laurel and Hardy and Charlie Chaplin movies and had a player piano playing ragtime music. Also the tables were three big long tables, no private seating. There was another chain similar here in Orlando called Pizza Inn...and around the same time I lived out in Cali for a year and they had Shakey's and a similar place called "The Straw Hat Pizza Palace.."

Archived