Major League Baseball

You know, with all of this talk of Florida not being a good place for pro baseball, the Marlins possibly leaving, the crappy stadiums in Tampa and Miami, and poor attendance, maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to move one of the teams out of state and build a proper baseball stadium in Orlando for the other. Have one team for the entire state in a centralized location (i.e. Orlando) and rebrand the team-- new name, uniforms, management, etc.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also, for the Devil Rays, it would be best if the team actually played in Tampa (not St. Petersburg). As an Orlandoan, I didn't mind so much driving over to Tampa for events, but that's where I drew the line. To go all the way down to St. Pete was a bit of a hassle for me. I suspect I am not alone. The Devil Rays would no doubt draw more fans from Tampa and Orlando both if the ballpark were located in Downtown Tampa.

Exactly. I'm a big Red Sox fan and there have been several times I thought about going to see them play the Rays at Tropicana when I lived in Orlando, but I just couldn't justify it. I was so spoiled by going to games at Fenway over the years that I couldn't bring myself to drive all the way to St. Pete to see the Sox take on a horrible team in a bad stadium with no fans. Granted, the majority of people at the game would be Sox fans, it just wouldn't feel right. As much as I like baseball now, it's still a pretty slow game so the entire gameday experience is much more important than it would be in, say, basketball where it's much more about the fast-pace action on the court.

If I still lived in Orlando and the Rays played in a nice ballpark in downtown Tampa, I would probably make it a point to catch at least one Sox game per series in the cheap seats. I'm sure there are lots of other Orlandoans that share the same logic when it comes to Rays games.

Heard from a semi insider... The Devil Rays will one day be in a retractable roof stadium to be built near Raymond James Stadium. It might not be for years because I'm pretty sure they still have many years left on their Tropicana Field agreement, but that seems to be the long term goal. That would solidify them in the Tampa Bay region, and might actually pull in a few Orlando fans.

I agree with the couple previous posts. I might drive to the Channel Side area or even around RJ Stadium a couple times a year to watch a game, but going the extra 30 or 40 minutes to St. Pete makes the drive seem so much longer. I've only gone to one game in the past 4 years or so, and I can get good seats free with a phone call.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Yea - not sure what they were thinking really....when you think "rays" you either think of the devil ray (very bland by nature - dull and grey) or you think of sunshine (bright oranges/reds/yellows). Blue doesn't exactly come into the mix other than if it were sky blue perhaps. Yet another *meh* attempt from the Rays Front Office. How are they ever going to build a fan base at this rate?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived