• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stamford plays Trump card

By Doug Dalena

Staff Writer

Published May 16 2007

STAMFORD - Both the Trump name and the Trump mane got plenty of attention yesterday.

The name because it will mark Stamford's tallest building - the 34-story, 350-foot Trump Parc condominium tower planned by developers Louis Cappelli and Thomas Rich under a branding agreement with Donald Trump; the mane because Trump mocked it himself during the project's ceremonial groundbreaking.

Stamford Advocate Article

"As I was standing there, someone whispered in my ear, 'Do you think this one will ever get built?' " said Zoning Board Chairwoman Phyllis Kapiloff, whose board voted to approve the project in November after rejecting a 400-foot-tall version of the building last summer. "I said this is the closest we've come yet."

Cappelli and Rich convinced the board in March that two 400-foot buildings would fit on a much larger site off Atlantic Street. Those buildings will include a Ritz-Carlton hotel and 289 condominiums, as well as retail space on the corner of Tresser Boulevard.

I've always wondered this....Why DOES Stamford have a height limit? As far as I know they're not in any flight paths to any of the surrounding airports, which is honestly the only good reason I can think of for there being one. :dontknow:

They want to maintain that small quaint "New England Village" feel. :rolleyes:

I've always wondered this....Why DOES Stamford have a height limit? As far as I know they're not in any flight paths to any of the surrounding airports, which is honestly the only good reason I can think of for there being one. :dontknow:

If the current buildings in Stamford where higher, the city would have a beautiful skyline.

LMAO....they're close to being the largest city in the state and they're worried about keeping a "New England Feel" :lol: ....don't know if they've noticed, but everything south of New Haven has a "New York Feel"....especially on 95

Dont take the fact that its not Hartford personally because this project is just another string in the number of new towers (residential mostly) that Capelli and in some cases Trump have constructed in Westchester County and now the two are expanding into Stamford which is still metro New York. These two focused on places like New Rochelle and White Plains (north of Manhattan) so obviosuly the next major city in this market for them is Stamford and now there trying to take advantage of it.

Dont take the fact that its not Hartford personally because this project is just another string in the number of new towers (residential mostly) that Capelli and in some cases Trump have constructed in Westchester County and now the two are expanding into Stamford which is still metro New York. These two focused on places like New Rochelle and White Plains (north of Manhattan) so obviosuly the next major city in this market for them is Stamford and now there trying to take advantage of it.

Exactly, this is a New York project in essence. However, it will surely help Stamford develop into even more of a city with it's own identity in both the NY region and Connecticut. Hartford has it's own market area to support and with that said the Hartford market would have to be seen as an attractive investment for Trump to come here, whereas Stamford is still his core NY market that he's always been very active in.

And that would be accomplished by erecting buildings that are half the height but with double the footprint.

Perhaps Stamford is just slowly working on taller buildings. Since there's nothing currently that stands really tall, anything above 500-600 feet would be the equivalent of a green hat with an orange bill.

Maybe here we get a couple 350 foot buildings, then next comes something 400 feet, then 425, and progressively taller that way.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Trump Park shut down after further dangersous construction accidents.

here is some stuff from the last month.

but work resumed today at 11AM according to my BB terminal.

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/localnews/ci_9978793

City vows to act after debris falls from Trump Parc

By Elizabeth Kim

Staff Writer

Stamford Advocate

Article Launched:07/24/2008 01:00:00 AM EDT

STAMFORD - Debris fell from the Trump Parc construction site yesterday for the third time in three months, and city officials said they may close the project down unless more is done to protect residents' safety.

At about 8 a.m., a round metal object, about 3 inches long, crashed into a glass window on the ground floor of the University of Connecticut at Stamford at Washington Boulevard and Broad Street.

No one was hurt in yesterday's incident.

and from today

<H1 class=articleTitle id=articleTitle>Construction resumes at Trump Parc</H1>By Elizabeth Kim

Staff WriterArticle Launched: 07/31/2008 02:40:10 AM EDT

STAMFORD - After ordering a work stoppage last week, the city has allowed construction activity to resume on the first 29 floors of the 34-story Trump Parc.

On July 24, Mayor Dannel Malloy ordered the contractor, George A. Fuller Co., to suspend all work on the luxury high-rise at Washington Boulevard and Broad Street. The move came after a 2- to 3- inch piece of metal shattered a glass window at University of Connecticut-Stamford across the street.

After touring the building last week with other city officials, Malloy determined that clutter, especially on the building's upper floors, made the site a safety hazard.

Since the city's inspection, Fuller has responded quickly, said City Engineer Louis Casolo; construction crews have been cleaning debris and securing openings.

"They did make significant progress," Casolo said yesterday. Although no one was hurt last week, the incident marked the third such mishap in three months. In May, a piece of debris ripped through a truck, sending the driver to the hospital with minor injuries. Last month, a piece of wire fell from the 29th floor and smashed a car roof.

• 5 months later...

Stamford/Norwalk Advocate

The 34-story, 170-unit Trump Parc tower on Washington Boulevard and Broad Street in Stamford came under scrutiny last summer after debris fell off the construction site on several occasions. Building of the luxury apartment tower is expected to be completed this summer.

• 3 years later...

Why is this thread still open? This project was finished a long time ago.

Antonio, we don't really have any resident Stamford folks and although I try follow Stamford news as best I can it's harder to keep track of a city that I don't spend time in. We welcome your presence here to keep us up to date!

• 3 weeks later...

This is how the building looks.

It's the 4th tallest building in Connecticut and the tallest residential building in the state. From the upper floors, the New York City skyline is visible, as well as the foothills of the Apalachian Mountains, Long Island and Long Island Sound.

There's a new park currently under construction right across the street, this is why in some photographs the foreground looks rather odd.

The sunlight reflects rather nicely from this building and has a very appealing effect, definitely making the building an eyecandy. However, I have tried to capture the amazing looks of the building in the late afternoons, but there is simply no way of capturing the beauty of this building with any type of lens or camera configuration.

68656229.jpg

16427602.jpg

23182699.jpg