Fountain Square

miami1855

Excuse me ifthis has been brought up lately, but....does anyone have any thoughts on the future of Fountain Square?

There are a few restaurants that are doing well (just ate at Neely's), but the mall area is still a wasteland of small offices and a banquet hall.

With all of the new business and residential construction nearby, does anyone know of any plans to revive this area?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Excuse me ifthis has been brought up lately, but....does anyone have any thoughts on the future of Fountain Square?

There are a few restaurants that are doing well (just ate at Neely's), but the mall area is still a wasteland of small offices and a banquet hall.

With all of the new business and residential construction nearby, does anyone know of any plans to revive this area?

Metrocenter has evolved somewhat since 1990. It's really become a hotbed for government and non-profit. Sonic Automotive also runs their sucessful Crest operation. There are some nice apartments recently behind the Maxwell House (Titans have/do live(d) there). Starbucks coffee recently opened a shop in MC, which serves the businesses very well.

So back to Miami's question. The area has revived, but not as what it used to be.

i propose that the entire mall be revamped as an "era only" district! it could have a roller-derby, a soda shop, a 1 screen movie theatre with 3-D glasses, a speak-easy bar, drive in burger joint(classic cars only), a psycadelic moon room, and plenty of vintage retail clothing stores!

i'm totally joking, but it's the only theme i could come up with.

Watkins College of art bought a substantial part of the mall where the theaters were located and they have a lot of room for expansion. There are a number of restraints located here as well and most cater to the Metro Center crowd. If you ever go over there during lunch hours, it is hard to find a parking place close. There are a number of offices located here as well.

There are two new apartment complexes located in MC as well. One is the Parc @ Metro Center and the other is the Preserve @ Metro Center. A number of new state office buildings have gone up as well.

The area surrounding Metro center still has a lot of problems, especially to the west with a lot of gang activity. Not many retailers would want to go into an area that close to a high crime area. I think that was one of the reasons the mall failed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I remember the Hooters, but never went to that location. Last film I watched there was the original Star Wars when it was re-released in '97. About what year did that theater shut down? Anyone have older photos of the mall area? I only visited the theater.

I remember going there once when I was in college... but it was so out of the way. I can't even remember why we went way the hell over there. Maybe it was the only Hooters near downtown at the time. I don't remember another one on the west side at the time. Is there one now?

I remember going there once when I was in college... but it was so out of the way. I can't even remember why we went way the hell over there. Maybe it was the only Hooters near downtown at the time. I don't remember another one on the west side at the time. Is there one now?

Funny thing is that I don't remember the Hooters on 2nd when I was in school at Vandy (88-92)... it may have been there, but we really only went to Spaghetti Factory when we went to 2nd. Does anybody know when Hooters went in at that location? Also, does anybody remember a place called Mere Bulles (I think that's the spelling)?

Funny thing is that I don't remember the Hooters on 2nd when I was in school at Vandy (88-92)... it may have been there, but we really only went to Spaghetti Factory when we went to 2nd. Does anybody know when Hooters went in at that location? Also, does anybody remember a place called Mere Bulles (I think that's the spelling)?

Thanks... that name has stuck in my head for years (don't know what it meant... Mothers bulls???). I went there too with my parents on one of their visits in town... I rembmer that it was actually quite good. Of course, there wasn't a whole lot on 2nd Ave at that time. Wow, that reminds me of how much that area has changed (and I'm sure how much I have too).

• 1 month later...

Archived