Boone, NC and surrounding areas

nova72asu

The online Appalachian newspaper published an article talking about the water shortage (not a lack of rain) in Boone, Nc and nearby areas. I went to college in Boone. I remember going to the meeting where they reviewed the results of several studies regarding water capacity.

article here: http://theapp.appstate.edu/content/view/2391/1/

Basically Boone is facing several problems. The town and university are growing. Being the largest city in the immediate area most commercial development is looking to locate nearby. Larger chains and developments are hindered by the lack of space (Boone is in a "land bowl") They are also facing water shortages. The city is exploring other means of gaining water supply.

The article mentions the cost of extending water and sewer mains as a deterent and that tax payers have to pay for extensions. What confuses me here is that I thought if it was a city initiated extension then, yes, the taxpayers ultimately pay for the extension. However, if it is a developer initiated extension the developer should be required to front pay for the cost of extending the water and sewer to the property.

I currently live in GA, the latter scenario is what we do here. If a developer has a desire to build it is their responsabilty to get the water and sewer there, otherwise find a property already served by water and sewer. One thing, however, we are just beginning in my city is Captial Cost Recovery Fees for the extension of water and sewer trunk lines. The city will obtain a loan to extend water and sewer lines into (in our case) prime residential areas. This gets utilities out ahead of development and will to some extent guide where development will occur, rather in a sprawling, spotty fashion. Then a per lot CCR fee is assigned to subdrainage basins served by particular trunk lines based on the cost of constructing the line. The fee is paid at the time of construction on an individual lot and will help the city recover the costs. When compared to the cost to develop a lot in the county the city is very competitive.

I wonder if Boone has considered those options? Of course funding the line extensions in that manner or having the developer pay to extend does not create more water capacity to serve the development. That is an entirely different issue. Maybe they need to dig a big lake, haha.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live in a college town here in GA, enemy territory. But I have noticed at least with the recent apartment development here they are pretty nice developments more so than in Boone.

One development features buildings with combination of brick, stone, and siding. Another is reminiscent of New Orleans. They all have amenities such as common areas with a "club house" volley ball courts, pools and other features.

Not sure if you guys read the article but it was primarily speaking about commercial developments with larger chain stores, walmart, target, lowes, etc.

It isn't likely that a commercial development like that would build on the top of the mountain or something, unlike apartments. I can't remember the name of them, but there is a set of apartments way up the side of the hill supposedly built on a fault line, such an eyesore.

Apart from a redevelopment of the soon to be former Watauga High School site, I wouldn't mind if there was little or no more growth beyond infill. I hate it when I go back and see an apartment complex on top of a mountain.

As an ASU alum, I still visit Boone fairly frequently. While Boone has never exactly been a garden spot of nice architecture, lately it seems as if they're going out of their way to see just how ugly they can make the buildings. I find that very disappointing, especially for a town that is fortunate enough to be located in such a beautiful geographic setting. Can the town not exercise some sort of control over what gets built there, aesthetically speaking?

As an ASU alum, I still visit Boone fairly frequently. While Boone has never exactly been a garden spot of nice architecture, lately it seems as if they're going out of their way to see just how ugly they can make the buildings. I find that very disappointing, especially for a town that is fortunate enough to be located in such a beautiful geographic setting. Can the town not exercise some sort of control over what gets built there, aesthetically speaking?

Ok thanks for that info. When is construction slated to begin on the new HS?

i can see the concern with controlling aethetics. But if you look at places like hilton head, its apparant that even though many chains dont like the controls over the appearance of the building, if the market and location is right they will usually try to meet the requirements. i think boone offers the market and location. But if boone is going to grow they need to figure out how to serve developable property with water and sewer services. which is a major hurdle at this point.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

^Last week 321 had an unscheduled closure for "emergency blasting"-

Both lanes of U.S. 321 in Caldwell County between Blackberry Road (State Road 1500) and Blowing Rock are closed for blasting operations in the work zone today, June 29. Crews are working to stabilize a hillside in the construction area. The highway is expected to reopen late this evening. Motorists should expect significant delays and proceed with caution through this area. Motorists traveling on U.S. 321 North are advised to take N.C. 18 in Lenoir to U.S. 421 North in Wilkes County. They should then follow U.S. 421 to Boone in Watauga County and U.S. 321 South to Blowing Rock. Southbound motorists should follow the reverse route. Traffic from Charlotte to Boone is encouraged to take I-77 North to U.S. 421 North in Yadkin County to avoid the area. For updates, visit NCDOT

• 3 months later...

Yeh, thanks for posting those pictures.

I drove through there a couple weekends ago. It is amazing to see the amount of rock that is being moved. A tunnel would have been cool, but I guess that would cost too much.

It looked like they were going to straighten out the big S curve right after the tourist stop that has the old Stoplight. They are working on filling the valley at the first curve you come to (if you are heaing north)

I will be driving through again this weekend to go camping. I will keep and eye out for anything interesting.

• 4 weeks later...

Boone made a good list. I think it was on AOL.com. The article was the top 30 outdoor/adventure towns and cities in america. Just another reason to toot the horn for NC. Now if I can just get this darn link to work....sorry if you can't see it.

• 5 months later...

Archived