River Region Roads and Highways

Southron

As Autauga and Elmore counties continues to grow, traffic along I-65 between Montgomery and the Autauga and Elmore exits has risen almost 50 percent over the last 10 years. Traffic counts in the area increased markedly from 2002 onward.

Traffic counts increased by a third on I-65 south of Montgomery, near Greenville. East of Montgomery, on I-85 in Macon County, traffic counts increased by over a third.

Prattville Progress article

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Work will begin next month on a two-year $80 million resurfacing and widening project on I-65 in Montgomery. I-65 will be widened to six lanes between US Hwy 80 and the Alabama River bridge.

WSFA: Dramatic changes in store for I-65 in Montgomery

Montgomery Advertiser: Widening to snarl I-65 for two years

Project progress website: www.progress65.com

• 7 months later...

ALDOT is looking to add a new $35 million I-85 interstate exchange connecting to Wares Ferry Rd. to ease traffic congestion in east Montgomery, but city and county officials are worried that it would interfere with the long-awaited $300 million Outer Loop. The Outer Loop would begin in east Montgomery at I-85 and curve south down through the county and west to U.S. 80.

Montgomery Advertiser: Officials afraid Wares Ferry Road project may hinder outer loop

Toll roads may pay for the Montgomery Outer Loop and the Interstate 85 extension to Mississippi, according to a plan announced by Gov. Bob Riley and U.S. Secretary of Transportation Mary Peters. Public-private partnerships building toll roads would get these projects completed years before current funding levels would allow.

Montgomery Advertiser: Toll roads may pay for highway projects

• 5 weeks later...

The Montgomery Metropolitan Planning Organization approved widening US 231 in Wetumpka, but did not approve a proposed exit at I-85 and Wares Ferry Road. The MPO board voted to allow the staff to research the exit plan but only to the point of providing the MPO with information at its May meeting. Also approved was widening Perry Hill Road from I-85 to Harrison Road.

Montgomery Advertiser

• 4 months later...

The Advertiser recently ran an opinion piece about the use of roundabouts -- how they can save fuel and reduce travel time and serious accidents. The city recently opened up a roundabout at Washington and Ripley and a few others are planned downtown, the next one at Washington and Bainbridge.

Roundabouts can save time, fuel

More roundabout info from WSFA-TV. The roundabout at 5 Points in the Cottage Hill area should be under construction in about four months. According to the city, roundabouts cost about $20,000, while a traffic light costs about $100,000 plus $3,000 dollars per year for maintenance.

Link with video: More Roundabouts Coming

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

A major announcement is planned for tomorrow that apparently involves the Outer Loop project. Could be another toll road on the way...

Announcement Set for Monday on Outer Loop Project in Montgomery

About time I've heard something new about this project. Sad thing is that years ago when they were getting serious about it buying land, my parents told me they have been talking about this for decades before. Even as far back as the 70s. I'm glad to hear that is back on the agenda.

The rumors about the toll road proposal were right on target. Dothan-based Focus 2000, the non-profit group that proposed the Montgomery to Panama City toll road, will conduct a 6-8 month feasibility study to see if the Outer Loop project is worth doing as a toll road. Estimates for Outer Loop construction are in the $400 million range.

The question is will this be a truly limited access highway that provides an express connection between I-85 and I-65 or will it be just another sprawl corridor that depopulates the city and siphons off its tax base?

Non-profit wants to build Outer Loop as a toll road

• 6 months later...

Federal dollars may soon be made available for a portion of the Outer Loop that would connect I-85 to Vaughn Road. According to ALDOT, the three-mile segment could cost between $100 million to $120 million, and the entire 20-mile project would cost between $400 million to $500 million.

Outer Loop 3-mile segment readied for construction

• 1 year later...

I just heard this on the 12pm WSFA news and of course their is no mention on the WSFA site that I can find so far.

I-85 will be extended from where the Outer Loop dirt mounds are located in east Montgomery near Waugh. So the plan is I 85 will extend from that location curve to the south of town to I 65 then on to Mississippi. The current stretch of I 85 will be renamed to 685 I think.

http://www.montgomer...ry+s+Outer+Loop

I found this link I assume showing purchased right of way http://www.i85extens...oidance_Map.pdf

Archived