South Main and the Quapaw Quarter

The interesting thing about this park is the land is privately owned. The art work was provided by the artist. This is a good use of vacant land and I guess the owner, at sometime, could sell it off.

Other photos of the area around the park on Main.

New store opened last Saturday called the Green Corner Store.

p1050908h.jpg

p1050892.jpg

p1050920x.jpg

p1050922.jpg

Great looking park. I hope there is some acknowledgment that it's on the site of the old Little Rock Inn, which probably sold more curb service beer than any place in town.

I thought the Little Rock Inn was the name of the retro hotel turned drug have they tore down at 6th and Center?

And is this site the old Captain D's that burned down years ago?

I thought the Little Rock Inn was the name of the retro hotel turned drug have they tore down at 6th and Center?

And is this site the old Captain D's that burned down years ago?

Before Captain D's and before the drug motel there was a drive-in restaurant at 14th & Main named Little Rock Inn. It had a small seating area inside but its main business was curb service. LR Inn was one of a number of similar establishments including Granoff's at 10th & Main, Snappy Service at 7th & Broadway, Perciful's on 8th between Broadway and Arch. All these place sold mass qualities of beer and set-ups for the brown baggers. If you've seen the movie American Graffiti these drive-ins were Little Rock's version.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Any idea on the architect of this one? Looks like something Marlon Blackwell might do.

It was designed by UA School of Architecture faculty and students as a "design-build" project. The dean of the school, Jeff Shannon, just gave a lecture a few weeks ago on the project at the "Art and Architecture" lecture series at the Arkansas Arts Center.

It was designed by UA School of Architecture faculty and students as a "design-build" project. The dean of the school, Jeff Shannon, just gave a lecture a few weeks ago on the project at the "Art and Architecture" lecture series at the Arkansas Arts Center.

Cool, thanks for the info. Marlon Blackwell also teaches and is the Architecture Dept Chairman. I think I can see his influence in the building.

Cool, thanks for the info. Marlon Blackwell also teaches and is the Architecture Dept Chairman. I think I can see his influence in the building.

Indirectly, perhaps...but I don't believe he was involved. The current (refreshing) move back to Modernism is what informed this more than anything. Most all of the current critical professional work and product generated in architectural schools is trending this way...

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

It looks like a project called Southvillage is coming to 1301 S Lousiana, which would be the parking lot behind the old Juanitas.. Anyone have any information on this? I googled it to no avail. Just saw it filed on the plumbing permit site. 

This will be a 16 unit one and two bedroom development.

vb7t.jpg

There was an article in Arkansas Business about the complex.  http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article/99674/construction-starts-on-south-main-district-apartment-complex?utm_source=enews_070814&utm_medium=email&utm_content=daily-report&utm_campaign=newsletter&enews_zone=195007

Not sure I would want to have an apartment behind Midtown.  Glad for the in-fill, though.  

The design is a bit...eh. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 7/7/2014 at 2:20 PM, skirby said:

This will be a 16 unit one and two bedroom development.

vb7t.jpg

A few finished and under construction projects since I was last down there.

Finished projects.

f4xvJQ.jpg

Down the block.

0Vjy30.jpg

New homes in the works.

fBgDYu.jpg

I was down there Sunday and it was a busy area. There was a farmers market being held at the Bernice Gardens and there were a lot of people enjoying the outside sitting sections of the local restaurants. Roots has supersized its patio as well as expanded with shipping containers. As far as I could tell all the storefronts between I-630 and 17th are taken.

5 hours ago, skirby said:

A few finished and under construction projects since I was last down there.

Finished projects.

New homes in the works.

fBgDYu.jpg

I was down there Sunday and it was a busy area. There was a farmers market being held at the Bernice Gardens and there were a lot of people enjoying the outside sitting sections of the local restaurants. Roots has supersized its patio as well as expanded with shipping containers. As far as I could tell all the storefronts between I-630 and 17th are taken.

Yikes...that last one is terrible.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/22/2016 at 2:05 PM, skirby said:

New development announced for the 1400 block of South Main. It will include residential and retail space.

GjQ6qI.jpg

Notice that the image shows it as 1424 Main, which is currently the site of Miracle Wash Coin Laundry, and next door to Nayles Medical Center (1400 Main). Nearly all of the back half of the block (facing Louisiana Street) is multi-family residential. An alley divides the two halves.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There is a very interesting permit dated last week showing a change of location for Rock Town Distillery to 1201 Main Street.  If this works out it will be a gain for SoMa but in turn a disappointment for the East Village. 

This will be across the street from Core Brewing's new Public House.

Edited by skirby

• 4 months later...