South Main and the Quapaw Quarter

On 10/22/2016 at 2:05 PM, skirby said:

New development announced for the 1400 block of South Main. It will include residential and retail space.

GjQ6qI.jpg

The project above has been replaced by another apartment project which will contain 16 units on two levels as well as 5 retail spaces on the ground floor. Completion is expected in the Spring of next year.

O0W9fX.jpg

Edited by skirby

Disappointed with final plans. Definitely a downgrade. 

As someone living in Bryant, I would like to move downtown to be closer to work at UAMS. 

I was looking forward to this original project but not now. 

Downtown condos are overpriced. Still hoping for a small cool condo development with mixture of commercial for downtown. 

On 3/23/2018 at 2:51 PM, diatom said:

Disappointed with final plans. Definitely a downgrade. 

As someone living in Bryant, I would like to move downtown to be closer to work at UAMS. 

I was looking forward to this original project but not now. 

Downtown condos are overpriced. Still hoping for a small cool condo development with mixture of commercial for downtown. 

I much prefer the newer/latest scheme.  Much more modern, and likely to appeal to the target demographic.

A new restaurant  has been announced for 1220 South Main. The new venture  will be owned by the owners of The Root and their kitchen manager, it will offer Latin American street food. Dos Rocas Beer & Tacos plans to open this summer across from Rock Town and just south of Core's new public house.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/23/2018 at 1:41 PM, skirby said:

The project above has been replaced by another apartment project which will contain 16 units on two levels as well as 5 retail spaces on the ground floor. Completion is expected in the Spring of next year.

O0W9fX.jpg

Not so fast. Two groups, one made up of residents and the other being the Quapaw Quarter Association are fighting this project. They are saying it doesn't fit the design standards. My question is what design standards? The standards that allowed the drugstore at 17th and Main or the shipping containers used by The Root or the number of houses designed by the U of A in the area?  When looking at this section of Main one would have to conclude there are no design standards.

On 4/17/2018 at 9:05 AM, skirby said:

Not so fast. Two groups, one made up of residents and the other being the Quapaw Quarter Association are fighting this project. They are saying it doesn't fit the design standards. My question is what design standards? The standards that allowed the drugstore at 17th and Main or the shipping containers used by The Root or the number of houses designed by the U of A in the area?  When looking at this section of Main one would have to conclude there are no design standards.

I think the QQA fought the plans for the drugstore.  They wanted something different than currently exists, if I'm not mistaken.  I think they wanted the building right at the corner of either 16th and Main or 17th and Main with parking in back and not a box store in the middle.  I think the developers pulled plans and resubmitted once, twice or maybe even three times.    It eventually got approved as it now exists despite opposition from QQA if I recall. 

1 hour ago, Arkanzin said:

I think so. 

What is there to fight?  I don't think anything along Main is in a "local ordinance" historic district (i.e. there are no design guidelines).  Either way, I strongly support this project.  It looks nice, modern and clean.  An urban space, even a historic area, need not be homogenous in style.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Architect said:

What is there to fight?  I don't think anything along Main is in a "local ordinance" historic district (i.e. there are no design guidelines).  Either way, I strongly support this project.  It looks nice, modern and clean.  An urban space, even a historic area, need not be homogenous in style.

Agree.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/15/2019 at 9:59 AM, skirby said:

Leasing signs are now up on the Villa View apartments.

4A5lbP.jpg

Also, the forms are in place for the foundation at Fourteen 24 on Main Street.

I'm not typically a fan of Mansard roofs (usually because they're so poorly executed), but this one is well done...nice infill project.