Broadway redevelopment potential

Richard Lawson

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very interesting news here. I think that if there is maybe one left then we would see the others go but with Beaman and Jim Reed both staying put and adding on to their dealerships, then it will be a while before they go. It does open a huge chunk of land with Hippodrome leaving and remember that they border the Gulch. I just wonder if they have not already got a buyer ready to re-develop that property.

This seems odd to me... because i've just recently started seeing ads on tv advertising Downtown Nashville Nissan at 1212 Broadway. Why would they suddenly start pushing the Downtown aspect (by changing their name), only to move away from downtown in the near future?

This seems odd to me... because i've just recently started seeing ads on tv advertising Downtown Nashville Nissan at 1212 Broadway. Why would they suddenly start pushing the Downtown aspect (by changing their name), only to move away from downtown in the near future?

not going to happen over night . But there are some who consider MetroCenter "downtown."

This is perfect. As much as I do like the dealerships I've all ways felt that all the property in between the WES site and the interstate was a prime location for all type of developments with street level retail included. Office, residential, and hotel developments.

Why on earth would Beaman and Reed leave one of the highest visibility blocks in town? I expect that Hippodrome building will fill with some sort of retail or restaurant until such time (in 25 years?) that an entity with lots of cash develops that block. I realize that they spent a lot of money for the property, but for now I'd expect a sit-down restaurant to do pretty well there with 12th and Porter and the other Gulch establishments a stone's throw away. That's what I think he meant by a 25-year timeline. Heck, we had an old Firestone building on P'tree that sat vacant for years despite the fact that it was smack in the middle of the hottest section of town for development.

Why on earth would Beaman and Reed leave one of the highest visibility blocks in town? I expect that Hippodrome building will fill with some sort of retail or restaurant until such time (in 25 years?) that an entity with lots of cash develops that block. I realize that they spent a lot of money for the property, but for now I'd expect a sit-down restaurant to do pretty well there with 12th and Porter and the other Gulch establishments a stone's throw away. That's what I think he meant by a 25-year timeline. Heck, we had an old Firestone building on P'tree that sat vacant for years despite the fact that it was smack in the middle of the hottest section of town for development.

25 years not just for the Hippodrome site but the Beaman and Reed sites. That's 20 acres or so of property on Beaman and Reed sites. So you have Palmer on one side and then developers a block away at the roundabout and Eakin at Demonbreun. That's a lot of space to absorb. With the likely price of the properties being quite high, density has to be there. And that's a lot of density.

This is really good news. I've always hated the fact that visitors get off the interstate to come downtown and are immediately surrounded by suburban-style car dealerships.

I think this has been mentioned before, but I'd love to see the Import Auto Maintenance place at the B'way/WE split be redeveloped into a really visually powerful focal point for that area of town. It's a tiny lot, but wouldn't it be great to have a Flatiron-style (but more modern in design) building sit right there to greet visitors to West End?

This is really good news. I've always hated the fact that visitors get off the interstate to come downtown and are immediately surrounded by suburban-style car dealerships.

I think this has been mentioned before, but I'd love to see the Import Auto Maintenance place at the B'way/WE split be redeveloped into a really visually powerful focal point for that area of town. It's a tiny lot, but wouldn't it be great to have a Flatiron-style (but more modern in design) building sit right there to greet visitors to West End?

There are guys who have talked of trying to do a Flat Iron type of building at that point. It just takes vision -- plus cash helps... a lot.

I always thought the Broadway-West End split would look great as a "square of lights" much like Times Square in NY or Dundas Square in Toronto. It shouldn't carbon copy either of those, but be a little unique.

I too have said this before. I think if done right, it could really showcase Nashville in a way that is totally unique to this area.

I always thought the Broadway-West End split would look great as a "square of lights" much like Times Square in NY or Dundas Square in Toronto. It shouldn't carbon copy either of those, but be a little unique.

I think some big screens mounted up high at the Broadway-West End split would be cool running News, Music and Sports content. By the way the GEC/Nashville Arena/SA is trying to sell their old jumbo tron screen for 10k. That would give us two large screens for that area.

I think some big screens mounted up high at the Broadway-West End split would be cool running News, Music and Sports content. By the way the GEC/Nashville Arena/SA is trying to sell their old jumbo tron screen for 10k. That would give us two large screens for that area.

Are they going to get a better screen or just do without?

The old screens are no longer made by Sony and there is pressure to update because of new technology. I say use one for Broadway and use the other for parts. I think this would be a better investment than a balloon for the Signature Tower. Think how many other projects could run ads and a local station running programming. Hey, local networks, how about that instead of spending money on a helicopter?

To late a arena in Winsto Salem got the on ebay for 10k. Also I was wrong, there were four screens.

Anyway I agree some type exemption could be made and if metro owned the screens they could use them to promote the city and upcomming events. I also would think that they could easily pay for them by selling ad time on the screens.

Here's something for everyone to chew on.

http://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2007/5/1...for_metrocenter

story is up for free

Poor Broadway-West End. In my opinion, this is our great street. Most cities have a signature street...this should be the one for Nashville. The street lacks a unifying design theme.....and mass transit...ultra light rail...BRT...or light rail. I remember conducting a survey of the light standards from downtown to the Vandy area. I think I counted 7-9 different light standards. Add in poor sidewalks and street crossings....and Broadway-West End ends up being less than what it could be for Nashville. Perhaps the next Mayor will take a special interest in this important corridor.

Poor Broadway-West End. In my opinion, this is our great street. Most cities have a signature street...this should be the one for Nashville. The street lacks a unifying design theme.....and mass transit...ultra light rail...BRT...or light rail. I remember conducting a survey of the light standards from downtown to the Vandy area. I think I counted 7-9 different light standards. Add in poor sidewalks and street crossings....and Broadway-West End ends up being less than what it could be for Nashville. Perhaps the next Mayor will take a special interest in this important corridor.

I can answer this as I am involved in it...

Plans for an upgrade of all the signal and lighting supports on West End from 16th to 28th are in the works. The final look hasn't been decided, but will be more aesthetically pleasing mast arm type signal supports with all signal and lighting cables buried underground. Any power and telephone overhead cables (and I don't recall there being very much) will still remain.

The long range transit plan, (I am not involved) does propose light rail for West End, beginning at White Bridge Road, going down West End to 16th, up 16th to Demonbreum and down to 1st or 2nd. But who knows when that will happen?

Thanks PH. It only makes sense that West End wouldn't be left out of the streetscape improvements. One only needs to drive around town to see the excellent improvements (5th and Woodland, Hillsboro Village, Charlotte and 10th and 11th are only few examples, not to mention 8th). This all can't be done overnight and I've personally been thrilled to see the progress so far. West End is yet to be totally defined for the 21st century; it only makes sense to not rush into it. It'll come soon.

I agree, Dave.

My vision of West End would be similiar to the 'Miracle Mile' in Chicago with a mix of office, residential, hotel, shopping, eating and entertainment. Some of that is already happening, but it needs a variety and more prominent shopping destinations. And, although Hillsboro Village has a few night spots and the Belcourt, some similiar type entertainment venues would fit in well on West End, also.

Get the West End Summit built and add a 'Times Square' type building just across from it at the split and you have a grand gateway to what could be one of the grand thoroughfares in America. (think Michigan Avenue, Peachtree Street, Park Avenue, or Wilshire Blvd).

I can answer this as I am involved in it...

Plans for an upgrade of all the signal and lighting supports on West End from 16th to 28th are in the works. The final look hasn't been decided, but will be more aesthetically pleasing mast arm type signal supports with all signal and lighting cables buried underground. Any power and telephone overhead cables (and I don't recall there being very much) will still remain.

The long range transit plan, (I am not involved) does propose light rail for West End, beginning at White Bridge Road, going down West End to 16th, up 16th to Demonbreum and down to 1st or 2nd. But who knows when that will happen?

Honestly, I've not seen those plans for light rail. Please direct me to it because I'd like to see. I live at Woodmont/White Bridge and Harding/West End/Highway 100 (I love the way Nashville's streets change names as you drive down them). I've heard that there are rails still buried underneath West End from the old days. I wonder if those could be unearthed. After living in DC and Chicago, I'd use that rail system to get downtown. Driving down West End sucks at most any time of the daylight hours. After 11 pm when the lights are flashing is the best.

Archived