Broadway redevelopment potential

Richard Lawson

I live at Woodmont/White Bridge and Harding/West End/Highway 100 (I love the way Nashville's streets change names as you drive down them).

I moved here 5 1/2 years ago and the freaking streets still confuse the heck out of me. Who was the bright one that thought having streets change names every block was a good idea. I moved here from Houston and if you were on Steet X on one side of the city, you ended up on the same street an hour and a half later on the other side of the city.

Light rail would be great for Broadway/WestEnd area.....

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, I've not seen those plans for light rail. Please direct me to it because I'd like to see. I live at Woodmont/White Bridge and Harding/West End/Highway 100 (I love the way Nashville's streets change names as you drive down them). I've heard that there are rails still buried underneath West End from the old days. I wonder if those could be unearthed. After living in DC and Chicago, I'd use that rail system to get downtown. Driving down West End sucks at most any time of the daylight hours. After 11 pm when the lights are flashing is the best.

The rail would only be effective if there was a dedicated lane. I'm not anti-LRT, but my opinions have changed for whats right for Nashville. A nice bus rapid transit system would be great and more affordable for the time being. How do you feel about riding a modernized BRT system with LRT-like buses?

• 3 years later...

The former Hippodrome Nissan site has been sold... but it sounds like sold to another automotive group?

So i'm assuming we won't see any real redevelopment... but a conversion back to a car lot....

http://www.bizjourna...-site-sold.html

Really?! That stinks. I could have swore Crossland bought that property. That is some prime real estate. A shame it seems like it will be a car lot again, sad.gif.

• 1 month later...

Really?! That stinks. I could have swore Crossland bought that property. That is some prime real estate. A shame it seems like it will be a car lot again, sad.gif.

Yes, Nelson Mazda (Hickory Hollow & Rivergate) will be moving their Hickory Hollow store downtown. Great move for Mazda, but that was an excellent site for something else. Was previously under contract to a developer associated with Staples, but they walked.

• 1 month later...

Yes, Nelson Mazda (Hickory Hollow & Rivergate) will be moving their Hickory Hollow store downtown. Great move for Mazda, but that was an excellent site for something else. Was previously under contract to a developer associated with Staples, but they walked.

Yeah, too bad this site could be something other than a car lot.

I was the project manager and designer for the developer working with Staples. The project crashed when the market crashed. It was going to be nice with a three story bank headquaters and offices facing I-40 and Broadway and Staples facing the parking lot and the Tennessean building. It was a tough site for parking and access but we made it work.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, too bad this site could be something other than a car lot.

I was the project manager and designer for the developer working with Staples. The project crashed when the market crashed. It was going to be nice with a three story bank headquaters and offices facing I-40 and Broadway and Staples facing the parking lot and the Tennessean building. It was a tough site for parking and access but we made it work.

Interesting. Did that include the little lot between HIppodrome and the newspaper building? Who was the developer on this?

Archived