Discussion: Access/Service Roads

kayman

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fun Fact:

State Route 13, known as Buford Highway and Atlanta Highway, is a state highway in the U.S. state of Georgia. It begins at West Peachtree Street (U.S. Route 19/State Route 9) and Peachtree Street, just to the north of 17th Street, in north Midtown Atlanta and ends at Jesse Jewell Parkway (State Route 369) in Gainesville. The name changes from Buford Highway to Atlanta Highway at the northeast city limits of Buford.

The section near downtown Atlanta is a full freeway, from its south end to Sidney Marcus Boulevard. This was the original alignment of Interstate 85 (Northeast Expressway) through northeast Atlanta.

www.answers.com/topic/georgia-state-route-13

The access lanes referenced in Atlanta was the old I-85. The elevated 85 was added later to relieve congestion.

If businesses do indeed decide to relocate to Grant's Mill Road or another locale... are we not still going to have the same problems? Grant's Mill is such a narrow winding road that traffic created by new retail or residential development would push it to the brink of collapse. Granted, Grant's Mill is not a major artery but it does travel to 119... which is in Shelby County and ripe for development.

Most businesses would care until it starts to affect their bottom line until it is like the current situation U.S. 280. We all know businesses are not in there to be beacons of "good long-term planning".

That part of Cahaba River Road near Mountain Brook Church is not an access road, it is a typical winding road. It is only an "access road" per say only 1/2 mile both north and south of the Cahaba River Bridge along U.S. 280.

I am in agreement that the upgrading of U.S. 280 to an limited access roadway, and I've been saying that for awhile now. However, as you argued in your last post, the conversion of this roadway would have just as adverse affects on the commerical business along the roadway as the addition of an access roads to the road. Regardless of the fact that U.S. 280 needs to be upgraded or not, the vast majority of the businesses are still going operating along the roadway by construction. That is issue at hand "access" along U.S. 280. The fact that just adding more lanes along any roadway isn't the answer, and that alternative forms of transportation such as mass transit, HOV lanes, and park-and-ride lots also needs to be incorporated into the improvement of the roadway.

In the end, your argument really isn't convincing either because all you are arguing that it access roads and mass transportation are not the answer for this roadway.

BTW, I am a college junior majoring in Community and Regional Planning and Political Science and worked at 2 different regional planning organizations of the past 3 years. I have little more experience with the subject than the average person would. I'm not pointing out who is right or wrong, but I simply pointed out that fact that all you have just argued against the subject at hand without offering a more realistic solution. The conversion of U.S. 280 into a limited-access highway is only a part of the solution, but it is not the whole solution.

I'm glad we all can agree 280 needs limited access at commercial/retail's expense. Thank you, indeed, Cahaba River Road is not an access road. Agreed. I don't think I ever said I was opposed to mass transit. We simply should not rely on it to correct the problem (as proven with GA 400).

You should brace yourself for a lifetime of opposition to your "educated ideas" by the average person. Your response to "go do some research" exasperates your opposition and will create a livid response. FYI.

You still have not convinced me access roads are the solution... and that's going to be your job.

AB-SO-f'n-lutely. it's amazing how many people in my design program do not understand this - there are a lot of smug people who do not realize that their ideas have to be sold...(not to mention being good in the first place). the best instruction i have gotten has been from an extremely well-qualified professor who has the decency and good sense NEVER to condescend to the public - and he could.

but oh, this poor horse. dead and mutilated and drawing flies.

Congratulations on your pursuit of a degree in... You should brace yourself for a lifetime of opposition to your "educated ideas" by the average person. Your response to "go do some research" exasperates your opposition and will create a livid response. FYI.

You still have not convinced me access roads are the solution... and that's going to be your job.

Archived