Chattanooga!

Jobs in the Chattanooga area grew at fastest pace in six years.The Chattanooga area added 6,600 jobs in the past year, helping to cut the local unemployment rate to its lowest winter level in six years, according to the latest figures from the Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce Development.AND Metro area's population approaching 500,000.In Chattanooga... :):tough: OH And What is the DEF. of a MAJOR CITY?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jobs in the Chattanooga area grew at fastest pace in six years.The Chattanooga area added 6,600 jobs in the past year, helping to cut the local unemployment rate to its lowest winter level in six years, according to the latest figures from the Tennessee Department of Labor and Workforce Development.AND Metro area's population approaching 500,000.In Chattanooga... :):tough: OH And What is the DEF. of a MAJOR CITY?

Chattanooga is a vibrant city for its size. Few cities of its size offer a major aquarium, a new minor league ballpark, the tourist amenities of the Incline, Rock City, Ruby Falls and the mountains, Civil War and Indian history, the museums, trains, the rivers and lakes and proximity to several major cities-Atlanta, Nashville, and Birmingham. I find downtown Chattanooga much more pedestrian friendly than Atlanta could even hope to be without expensive redevelopment and a major mindset change. UTC and large private schools-McCallie, GPS, and Baylor make Chattanooga the education center for a large area between the 3 aforementioned cities. Medical care has come along way in the region and very good for a city of its size without a hospital connected to a major research university, such as Emory in Atlanta or Duke in Durham.

It has taken several decades for Chattanooga to replace the old industrial jobs that it lost, resulting in growth rates comparable to Georgia's second tier cities-Augusta, Columbus, Macon and Savannah. The Tri-Cities have this in common with the Chattanooga area. Atlanta's northern suburbs are rapidly reaching towards Chattanooga and neighboring Cleveland and Dalton are experiencing rapid growth and development.

The biggest negative I could foresee happening in the next few years for Chattanooga would be Atlanta putting a second airport in Southern Gordon or Northern Bartow County as has been proposed on and off since the late 80's. It would be hard for Lovell Field to compete against a new Atlanta airport that close.

Considering how much larger than Chattanooga San Antonio, TX and San Diego, CA are, they seem more laid back and slower paced than Chattanooga. I know they aren't, they are much larger and compared to cities of their sizes, they are slower. They are both much more rapidly growing than Chattanooga. It may be the military oriented nature of these cities compared to Chattanooga's industrial heritage. Industrial cities tended to develop more activity than military and white-collar, government and educational employment centered cities.

I took a quick trip to Chattanooga yesterday and did my normal walk along the river but this time took the electric shuttle around the DT are. That is so convenient and needless to say free. Museum Bluffs coming along nicely and a lot of pedestrian traffic. More than I can say about Nashville's waterfront that is 2 decades behind and likely to stay that way for the foreseeable future.

Sorry I didn

Archived