Places that might be of interest to urban planners.

A friend of mine from the private planning sector and I will be hosting a large group of city planners from around the Midwest, some possibly as far a Colorado on a Saturday afternoon in early June. What places would you recommend showing them within the downtown core? It sounds like it will be a morning tour and then meeting up for lunch and drinks someplace at noon. We had planned at meeting at the BOB, (Great example of adaptive reuse) but they don

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A friend of mine from the private planning sector and I will be hosting a large group of city planners from around the Midwest, some possibly as far a Colorado on a Saturday afternoon in early June. What places would you recommend showing them within the downtown core? It sounds like it will be a morning tour and then meeting up for lunch and drinks someplace at noon. We had planned at meeting at the BOB, (Great example of adaptive reuse) but they don

I would take them through the Heartside District. You can start at the South end of Commerce and walk North, going by the new Loose Leaf Lofts project, Metropolitan Park Apts, pass by the Globe Apts, then past the 240 Ionia site, the old depot now US Signal's offices, EQ3, then head East to Douglas J (and call Dara to schedule a tour, the place is sweet!), on North past United Way and the Cooley Law School expansion (you can even talk to United Way to get a tour of the Heysteck Bldg they occupy, which is an amazing re-use project), then on West to Black Rose for a pint or two. You then have the choice to either head further North along Ionia, or skip over to Grandville and take a look at the Ice House and Grand Woods Lounge (maybe another pint). By then you can swing North to the BOB, which will probably be open by then.

How's that?

I agree with GRDad a tour of heartside; including all of the exciting things happening on Grandville Ave (ITP, Hopson Flats, New Founders, Custer, Intersection, etc...). Maybe grabbing lunch on the patio of Bistro Bella Vita and then some beers at Grand Woods.

Quasi off-topic: Went to Monarch's Club on Stocking last week, what a cool place. Being from the Lower Westside, its always great to see cool places opening up/remodeling in that area.

Archived