condos in Garfield

mjcatl2

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this will be a nice development. The conods will be pretty high-end, but I like that they are next to the lower-income senior housing building that has a very cool design and won some architectural awards. The designs will probably complement each other well, and I like that it will (hopefully) blend races and incomes between Garfield, Friendship, and all of the new development in East Liberty.

Nothing definite has been announced yet, but I have heard that Giant Eagle has bought up much of the Penn/Negley corner right near the proposed site of these new condos. They've apparently bought the land and properties running from the abandoned gas station on Negley the whole way up to and including the Meineke Muffler shop on Penn. A large GetGo/convenience store/car wash is in the works. This isn't ideal for the neighborhood by any stretch, but this corner has been such an eyesore for so long that it may be nice if the development is done well. I know community groups will be very interested and put a lot of pressure to try to make sure the design suits the area as much as possible.

Between this development, the lofts, the hospitals, and all of the galleries, I think the resurgence of this area will become really obvious in the next few years.

Nothing definite has been announced yet, but I have heard that Giant Eagle has bought up much of the Penn/Negley corner right near the proposed site of these new condos. They've apparently bought the land and properties running from the abandoned gas station on Negley the whole way up to and including the Meineke Muffler shop on Penn. A large GetGo/convenience store/car wash is in the works. This isn't ideal for the neighborhood by any stretch, but this corner has been such an eyesore for so long that it may be nice if the development is done well. I know community groups will be very interested and put a lot of pressure to try to make sure the design suits the area as much as possible.

• 4 weeks later...
I haven't heard of this... is it just like a mini grocery store? I have a feeling it will be a gas station at this corner, though. I don't think the area "needs" more gas stations at all, but I think these Get-Go's are so successful that people will probably be backed up to the zoo to get a chance to swipe their advantage cards and fill up the tank. They bought up so much land that whatever is in the works will probably be huge.

Somebody told me that the cops are called several times a day to the Get -Go on Baum because of the crowds and fights over the pumps. The other day I saw an employee out there whose job was to help direct traffic and make executive decisions about who made it to the pump first.

I have always found that Baum Get-Go to be crowded, but have not yet witnessed the madness you guys describe. I've been using the Lawrenceville one a lot more lately, and I think I will continue to do so!

I also think they are building one on Freeport Road near where the Busy Beaver used to be. It's certainly some kind of gas station, and the colors and proximity to Giant Eagle make me think it's a Get-Go. I have to say, I'll be glad to have another option for filling up. Much as I hate gas stations in general, the east end does need more Get-Go's to handle the demand.

I wish someone would come up with a new concept for gas stations, something more suited to an urban environment.

Archived