Home work: Nonprofits can do much more for Pittsburgh

mjcatl2

The PG on non profits and doing their part.

Obviously with such limited land and with the amount that some of the non profits make, more is definitely needed from them

Pittsburghers were rightly disturbed last week when they heard about the princely profits posted by the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. The tax-exempt, nonprofit institution reported earnings of $459 million on record revenues from a recent three-quarter period.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all, it's wrong to call those earnings a profit. It's a budget surplus. Nothing more. UPMC is funded by all manner of grants and donations. If that funding was taken away, they would be in a deep hole and none of the great medical research that they do would be taking place. How they manage that surplus is up to the oversight exerted by the various sources that fund the nonprofit, not up to the city to levy a tax on.

Even so, they are the city's largest employer and they take up a ton of real-estate. They're not the same as a church or an animal shelter etc. I don't really want the city to levy taxes on them, per se, but something needs to change.

Don't get me wrong, I am very glad to have them in the city. But it's a burden in certain ways.

Even so, they are the city's largest employer and they take up a ton of real-estate. They're not the same as a church or an animal shelter etc. I don't really want the city to levy taxes on them, per se, but something needs to change.

Don't get me wrong, I am very glad to have them in the city. But it's a burden in certain ways.

I'd be more than happy to see tax sharing or consolidation. But in the meantime, something needs to change. I understand what you are saying, but I haven't heard any viable solutions. It's not fair, no. Seems like nothing in this state is fair, tax-wise. I don't really know what the answer is, I just know something needs to change.

Archived