Birmingham Area Tourism

Blazer85

Bessemer's Pioneer Homes

Untapped tourism opportunity?

Anyone ever seen these? I only recently learned of them and had no idea about them... talk about a lack of advertising and a missed opportunity. Things like this should really be marketed more in tourism information as it's really a part of the history in this area.

McAdory Plantation House (built in 1840)

mcadory1.jpg

mcadory2.jpg

Owen Plantation House (built in 1833) [been featured on the History Channel]

owen1.jpg

owen2.jpg

owen3.jpg

Sadler Plantation House (built in 1818)

sadler7.jpg

sadler1.jpg

sadler2.jpg

For more information on these homes, visit this website: http://www.sharehistory.com/westjefferson/

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, my grandmother's aunt was married to Rose Wellington Owen (I think maybe the

son of the one mentioned on the link - I'm not sure, and would have to ask my aunt,

who knows infinitely more of the family history than I do) and lived in that Owen house.

One time, when my grandmother was young, she almost accidentally burned the house down because

she was out back smoking "rabbit tobacco" and caused a small fire. I'm glad I got to visit this group

of houses with her before she died in the 1980s.

I had no idea it had been on the History Channel, though.

Anyway, Birmingham history buffs might also recognize the Owen name since the

family donated the land for Birmingham-Southern College's campus.

Yes, it is an untapped tourist opportunity. However, it all boils down to the fact that these houses are associated with the slavery and antebellum times due to them being plantation house is why they aren't advertised.

Yes, it is an untapped tourist opportunity. However, it all boils down to the fact that these houses are associated with the slavery and antebellum times due to them being plantation house is why they aren't advertised.

These are great houses.

In Louisiana and Mississippi, upper-class blacks from other parts of the country are buying plantations, and preserving them, for their historic value, and just because they're so emotionally evocative. I've read articles in Metropolitan Home, Elle Decor and Dwell of African-Americans of means having traced their families to specific plantations, and upon discovering the availability of said plantations, bought them.

Considering all the great economic things happening in Bessemer right now, and Tannehill's proximity to Bessemer (Pioneer Village), this would make a great tourist addition to the Marvel City.

Who knows: maybe Bessemer lofts & skyscrapers are just a developer away (heh heh heh).

Paying attractions...

[METRO RANK] ATTRACTION- VISITORS (STATE RANK)

[#1] Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail- 505,000 (#1) *Shared title across the state*

[#2] Birmingham Zoo- 472,542 (#2)

[#3] Alabama Adventure- 388,434 (#4)

[#4] McWane Science Center- 276,801 (#6)

[#5] Alys Stephens Performing Arts Center- 265,000 (#7)

[#6] Birmingham Children's Theatre- 176,900 (#9)

Non-paying attractions...

[METRO RANK] ATTRACTION- VISITORS (STATE RANK)

[#1] Birmingham Botanical Gardens- 350,000 (#1)

[#2] Birmingham Museum of Art- 152,638 (#3)

[#3] Sloss Furnaces National Historic Landmark- 120,000 (#5)

Well, that's excellent! Never would've guessed, really. Hey, wasn't the Galleria on this list at one time?

I have to admit, the Gardens are my all-time #1 Birmingham spot, followed by Ruffner Mountain. They both put me in such a happy mood...ESPECIALLY when the city/county politicians tick me off!

Archived