walking directions

runawayjim

i'm not sure if this has been discussed here before, but i recently moved to a much more dense/urban/walkable neighborhood in providence than where i was living before (which require a car because the buses suck and nothing was in walking distance except work). i'm wondering if there's a website that gives walking directions, ignoring one way streets and taking into account pedestrian areas, where cars can't go, like squares, parks, and walkways between buildings. it seems like something like this should exist with all these google maps mods. i've seen the google maps pedometer posted somewhere on UP before, but that doesn't do directions. any ideas?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, that would be interesting. But wouldn't it be close to the same as driving? A few one ways shouldn't make a difference, neither should ally ways. Plot your course as if you were driving it, then walk it and you might find some shortcuts that will trim a few minutes from your walk. Is your new neighborhood relatively grid-like or does it have odd shaped blocks?

Hmm, that would be interesting. But wouldn't it be close to the same as driving? A few one ways shouldn't make a difference, neither should ally ways. Plot your course as if you were driving it, then walk it and you might find some shortcuts that will trim a few minutes from your walk. Is your new neighborhood relatively grid-like or does it have odd shaped blocks?

• 2 weeks later...
Even though it's for a select few cities, Google just released a great application on their maps section that makes it look like you're actually walking through cities. I've played around with it for almost 2 hours and it's incredible!

http://maps.google.com/maps

Click on street view on the top right hand corner.

Archived