dinner roll

Old Commerce Building

70 posts in this topic

I just don't get it...

What's not to get?  It's a great corner location with a parking lot.   

This place will probably close at 6pm. Downtown is a ghost town at 6:30.

As much as the idea is silly of a grocer downtown it's actually a very good spot. Not much parking though but there's SOME. Now how are they going to stop the bums from hanging out?

Edited by itsjustme3

What's not to get?  It's a great corner location with a parking lot.   

I don't think 3rd St is the ideal street for a full service grocer. I don't like relying on that parking lot for what will be the only grocer in downtown. That lot would be much better for a building and not a parking lot. It will only make it harder once that time comes. As of now, Mathernes will need parking but in the future we will have more downtown residents that will diminish the need for Mid-City and OSBR residents.

This place will probably close at 6pm. Downtown is a ghost town at 6:30.

As much as the idea is silly of a grocer downtown it's actually a very good spot. Not much parking though but there's SOME. Now how are they going to stop the bums from hanging out?

Have you spent a night downtown in the last few months?

What bums?

1 person likes this

I don't think 3rd St is the ideal street for a full service grocer. I don't like relying on that parking lot for what will be the only grocer in downtown. That lot would be much better for a building and not a parking lot. It will only make it harder once that time comes. As of now, Mather'ses will need parking but in the future we will have more downtown residents that will diminish the need for Mid-City and OSBR residents.

Check out the link I sent.  They are building it out towards Main (looks like it fronts on the 3rd/Main corner) with a rooftop pool above.  

I think the parking spaces are coming from the lot behind the Cap one building.     

Now how are they going to stop the bums from hanging out?

The same way Calandro's filters out their customers?

Edited by cajun

Check out the link I sent.  They are building it out towards Main (looks like it fronts on the 3rd/Main corner) with a rooftop pool above.  

I think the parking spaces are coming from the lot behind the Cap one building.    

The rendering shows no entrance.

The old Commerce Bldg.(Third Street @ Laurel) should be starting renovations anytime now...will add 92 residential units downtown

March14068_zpsaa1eb5f3.jpg

1 person likes this

*Taken last week * Construction finally ramping up at the mixed-use Commerce Bldg on Third Street at Laurel Street...Magpie Cafe will go on street level(others?) along with 92 residential-units

DSCN1309_zpsefwe2cne.jpg

From Fourth Street...where a new roof-top pool is taking shape above the 8th floor

DSCN1319_zpsbbttumvj.jpg

The pool was hoisted up on the roof top back in August...thought i posted that here?(Plan BR thread?)

http://www.wbrz.com/news/rooftop-pool-hoisted-onto-downtown-building/

http://thecommercebldg.com/

1 person likes this

This build could use a touch up the paint on this building is so faded.

They are...check the pic on top of above post....to the left/bottom they just started painting it into lighter/slate gray color.... instead of that faded black color...it should look much nicer when complete...

8b6e33345ac8d5ffd9cf0d107a7d9e9d_XL.jpg

16 hours ago, richyb83 said:

They are...check the pic on top of above post....to the left/bottom they just started painting it into lighter/slate gray color.... instead of that faded black color...it should look much nicer when complete...

8b6e33345ac8d5ffd9cf0d107a7d9e9d_XL.jpg

Ok I see it now

img-spacer.gif
A MESSAGE FROM THE DDD
commerce_emailheader.jpg
img-spacer.gif
Now Pre-leasing

the commerce bldg., 333 laurel st.

Join the Commerce Bldg. for an open house on Thursday, February 11th from 12-1PM.

Pre-leasing has begun on the 93 residential apartments at the corner of Laurel and Third Streets. The Commerce Bldg. will feature a rooftop pool and restaurant, first floor retail (Gaudet Bros. Salon & Magpie Cafe') and on-site, interior parking. Visit the website for rates, availability, floor plans, and photos.

img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif Commerce BLDG >> img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif add to calendar >> img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif
2 people like this

Taken a couple weeks ago...Slate-looking color has replaced the black paint

DSCN1335_zpssnpkmpmi.jpg

1 person likes this

On 2/20/2016 at 11:37 PM, richyb83 said:

Taken a couple weeks ago...Slate-looking color has replaced the black paint

DSCN1335_zpssnpkmpmi.jpg

Looks significantly better.   Glad this building is getting a new lease on life.  

I really wish the vacant parking lot across the street develops soon.

Edited by cajun

img-spacer.gif
A MESSAGE FROM THE DDD
magpiecafe1_emailheader.jpg
img-spacer.gif
Downtown Hip!
DDD welcomes Magpie cafe

The Downtown Development District is very excited to welcome Magpie Cafe' (corner of Third & Laurel) to Downtown Baton Rouge! Magpie Cafe' is a modern cafe' specializing in high quality coffee and offering a house made menu featuring fresh, local, and tasty ingredients. Its hip and bright decor is sure to pull you in as you walk by their new Third Street location!

img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif Magpie Cafe' >> img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif reservations >> img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif
img-spacer.gif

img-spacer.gif

^Neat! I looked at their menu online and like that they have healthy options. I'll have to stop there for lunch one day.

Cruising up Third Street...was pleasantly surprised  to check out the exterior(& interior) lighting streetside lobby/overhang at the Magpie Cafe...Bright/Vibrant....really adds to the vibe on that end of Third Street

1 person likes this