President Carter speaks out against Bush

Charlotteman

The White House smarted over criticism from President Jimmy Carter, who called the Bush administration the worst in history.

Then Bush's people shot back that Carter is irrelevent.

I think all Carter did was to speak what the majority of us think.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The White House smarted over criticism from President Jimmy Carter, who called the Bush administration the worst in history.

Then Bush's people shot back that Carter is irrelevent.

I think all Carter did was to speak what the majority of us think.

I have to agree with you Satalac, Carter was correct and so is the 'Bust' administration. This administration will undoubtedly go down as the most damaging to our country in history, but the 'Bust' administration is correct in a political sense that Carter is irrelevant.

Carter is a good man, and he is also the last president I have any respect for.

I am counting the days until he leaves office but, I too, am worried at how much damage he can still cause before then. He and his cronies are brazen enough to do what they please, even if they get caught, as long as they figure that no one can do anything to alleviate the damage.

There are people here who think President Carter is irrelevent???????????

Tell the thousands of people who have bought and read Jimmy Carter's books that he's irrelevent. How many has he written......30?

Tell the Nobel committee in Sweden that Pres. Carter is irrelevent.

What about telling all the colleges and universities and international organizations that have awarded him countless honors that he is irrelevent.

If President Carter is so irrelevent, why did the Bush administration react so swiftly to his comments? If he is irrelevent, why would they waste their time making public rebutals to his comments?

President Carter is relevent. He is relevent to today's issues. He is a man that deserves respect, something the current president does not deserve.

If a former president is irrelevent, it is George H.W. Bush, who apparently can't even reel his son in.

There are people here who think President Carter is irrelevent???????????

Tell the thousands of people who have bought and read Jimmy Carter's books that he's irrelevent. How many has he written......30?

Tell the Nobel committee in Sweden that Pres. Carter is irrelevent.

What about telling all the colleges and universities and international organizations that have awarded him countless honors that he is irrelevent.

If President Carter is so irrelevent, why did the Bush administration react so swiftly to his comments? If he is irrelevent, why would they waste their time making public rebutals to his comments?

President Carter is relevent. He is relevent to today's issues. He is a man that deserves respect, something the current president does not deserve.

If a former president is irrelevent, it is George H.W. Bush, who apparently can't even reel his son in.

I was angry when I first read this yesterday and so decided it best not to comment, but really, how ridiculous is this administration, do they have absolutely zero common sense in addition to being elitist idiots?

One, you don't respond to such comments if you have any grace or basic understanding of politics, psychology, etc. Two, you don't respond with something that does not address the comment, which of course just validates Carter's comment. Three, you don't respond immediately and thereby contradict yourself by saying the person is irrelevant, clearly you think that he is relevant, otherwise you would have ignored him along with all the other critics who have said the same thing. Four, you missed an opportunity by acting like a child when you could have instead reacted by being humble and bringing Carter on board and asking him for guidance and advice. Which on the face of it would have been great, but even if disingenuous and calculated would have forced Carter to go on the defensive and change his tone.

I'd like the note that Bush has an approval rating of 28%.....the last president to have an approval rating of 28%...Jimmy Cater in June 1979.

Doesn't mean I support Bush, but it sures seems hypocritical of Carter to be the one jumping on the anti-Bush bandwagon, since he himself was facing a mountain of discontinent.

Just for a measure of economic success.....The county's unemployment rate was 7.5% when Carter took office and 7.5% when he left, and never dropping below 5.6%. The unemployment rate when Bush entered office was 4.2% and is currently 4.5%, peaking at 6.3%.

The fact is American's hate Bush because of the war in Iraq....they hated Carter because there was high unemployment, high interest rates, and low growth in the GDP.

^^^those are good points.

I'll also add this---after leaving office, GWB will probably have to go somewhat underground, or move away to a country without extradition treaties with the States. His administration will most likely continue to be investigated for a long time. In the end, he and Cheney might be in huge legal trouble for all their misdeeds.

Jimmy Carter left the presidency in 1981 with great respect-- even his detractors thought so. He was never seen as a danger to world peace. Comparing Carter to Bush is almost laughable.

I don't envy Bush at all. I have a feeling history is going to judge him even more harshly than we are judging him today.

I have great respect for Carter, I don't think he was a good or great president but he's a good man. He definitely didn't do long-term damage to our country (at least IMO.) He has done amazing work with Habitat and other humanitarian work on the world stage.

I am disappointed that he has backed off his statements, I wish he had 'stuck to his guns.'

just to ad to this post

Carter wasn't the worst president for our country by any means. I always felt the position of presidency was just a bit above him. He also was the only president I've been able to shake hands with while he was in office!

I would add that Bush will leave our Government in tatters;

FEMA once a premiere agency that has now been rendered useless in helping communities recover from catastrophe;

Disgraced Central Intelligence Agency;

Food and Drug Administration's poor ratings for food inspections;

Disgraced Justice Department;

Stretched thin military;

Laughable and ignored State Department;

The list goes on and on. I would not want to be the next President they will have quite a mess to clean up.

Just for a measure of economic success.....The county's unemployment rate was 7.5% when Carter took office and 7.5% when he left, and never dropping below 5.6%. The unemployment rate when Bush entered office was 4.2% and is currently 4.5%, peaking at 6.3%....

Bush deserves all the criticism he has received. He is a pompous idiot who is so disconnected from the general electoral mindset that is it like him trying understand a foreign language other than Spanish.

I've learned from all my History classes and looking it up that Jimmy Carter is and will always be a man time greater in respect than Bush will ever be. As Suburban George said, he should have stuck to his guns with this 3-ring circus of an administration.

Carter was a nice man, a decent person, and thus, probably not the best pick for a President. I think he's done far more good as an ex-President than he did as President. Not for lack of effort, it just didn't work out well for him, mostly because of external factors he had no control over.

Yeah, the economy was really bad, our family had some issues as a result of it, but it wasn't really Carter's fault.

I think the best way for the current administration to have handled the criticism was just not to comment on it. I'm sure it was satisfying to call Carter irrelevant, but it really wasn't very professional.

Carter was also well educated, he was a nuclear engineer, an Annapolis graduate, and served in the military. Carter should also be remember for something that no president since his time has done. And that is bringing peace, instead of war, to the middle east. The peace treaty that he brokered between Israel and Egypt lasts even until today, and is responsible, IMO, for saving thousands if not tens of thousands from needless death. Compare that to the absolute mess and the inability or unwillingness for the Bush administration to do anything about the war between Israel and Lebanon last summer. Rice could only do photo ops, the idiot Bolton wanted to blow the whole place up, and Bush/Cheney could only offer worthless sound bites on terrorists.

There simply is no comparison between the good that Carter has brought onto this planet and the Bush family accomplishments that are just as opposite.

Ok, let me rephrase, Nixon was far worse than Bush, and I think it was relatively un-classy for one unpopular (at the time) president to comment on another president's performance. Let's all remember that Bush had the highest approval rating of any president EVER in fall 2001, and though he still held all the same beliefs and general policies then, it wasn't popular to be critical then. This seems to be a cheap shot from an otherwise decent man.

^^^you wanna talk about cheap shots----from 1988-1989 the president's father, George Herbert Walker Bush, continually blamed Jimmy Carter for all the country's problems.

Finally Carter stood up and said "I haven't been president in 9 years!!!"

So the Bush's are real anti-Carter. Who cares though. The American people are anti-Bush.

Ok, let me rephrase, Nixon was far worse than Bush, and I think it was relatively un-classy for one unpopular (at the time) president to comment on another president's performance. Let's all remember that Bush had the highest approval rating of any president EVER in fall 2001, and though he still held all the same beliefs and general policies then, it wasn't popular to be critical then. This seems to be a cheap shot from an otherwise decent man.

also, it is fair to note that jimmy carter has been as forthcoming about his own downfalls as he has been with anybody else. i saw him on charlie rose last year and it was amazing to see how humbled he was by things he didn't succeed in.

Carter was also well educated, he was a nuclear engineer, an Annapolis graduate, and served in the military. Carter should also be remember for something that no president since his time has done. And that is bringing peace, instead of war, to the middle east. The peace treaty that he brokered between Israel and Egypt lasts even until today, and is responsible, IMO, for saving thousands if not tens of thousands from needless death. Compare that to the absolute mess and the inability or unwillingness for the Bush administration to do anything about the war between Israel and Lebanon last summer. Rice could only do photo ops, the idiot Bolton wanted to blow the whole place up, and Bush/Cheney could only offer worthless sound bites on terrorists.

There simply is no comparison between the good that Carter has brought onto this planet and the Bush family accomplishments that are just as opposite.

Archived