The Thinker - coming to MG for summer vacation

During the DIA's reconstruction work, this iconic scupture would have to move from its long-time outlook on Woodward Ave. Meijer Gardens is putting him in a lovely spot, near the waterfall.

thinker-dia.jpg

Mini-Think in an office on the recent Lunch & Learn tour

pict0030.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I submit at the end of summer we ask "The Thinker" if he would rather go back and watch hookers and drug deals at his home on Woodward, or stay here?

Wouldn't that be a hoot, and just one more thing to piss off Detroit to say "Sorry, you can't have it back..."

I submit at the end of summer we ask "The Thinker" if he would rather go back and watch hookers and drug deals at his home on Woodward, or stay here?

Wouldn't that be a hoot, and just one more thing to piss off Detroit to say "Sorry, you can't have it back..."

I'm really wanting to see this while it's in Grand Rapids.

It's an excuse, I suppose, for getting back to Fred Meijer Gardens after years of avoiding the place.

I suppose when I was younger it wasn't all that exciting, but having the Thinker there's a whole new reason to go.

Thinker's crib pics:

DIAwoodward.jpg

DIAPC.jpg

Ortho drawing showing the new additions, existing & proposed. You're roughly on top of the School building across Woodward at Farnsworth.

DIAortho.jpg

John R entrance (a block east of Woodward)

DIAjohnr.jpg

Farnsworth entrance (SE side of the block)

DIAfarnsworth.jpg

I tell you the $75 yearlong family membership at the Gardens is money well spent.

I know everyone has seen this angle before, but it's still pretty impressive in person:

542268598_7d1ebdf7f8.jpg

(click on any image for a larger version)

The amphitheater is such a great design. Very Romanesque.

542268590_0d72f66c1e.jpg

542268578_c62e77406c.jpg

There he is, the man of the hour. I hear The Thinker is a big hit so far this Summer.

542268626_d6df952168.jpg

He's much more impressive in person than I had imagined. His hands are HUGE. He was apparently designed in the late 1800's, and sculpted in the early 1900's. Hasn't left DIA in 85 years, until now.

542268552_3ebe875588.jpg

542268542_e47f5adfa8.jpg

Go check it out! It appears they are prepping some areas to install some of the Otterness sculptures from last year's exhibit as permanent pieces. Anyone know the details?

We are members so we will be stopping by this summer. Looks like kind of a strange location for such a prominent piece; right on top of the walking/tram path. Seems with all the people visiting they would have built a special plaza or something.

We are members so we will be stopping by this summer. Looks like kind of a strange location for such a prominent piece; right on top of the walking/tram path. Seems with all the people visiting they would have built a special plaza or something.

From the Freep:

Detroit Institute of Arts: The Yak arrived just in time to say good-bye to "The Thinker," the meditating giant by French sculptor Auguste Rodin in front of the main entrance. The Woodward plaza where he's been thinking for 75 years is being repaired, so the statue is spending the summer at the Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park in Grand Rapids!

At 5 p.m. on May 27, the museum itself will close for a six-month restoration project. But a 10-hole mini golf course will open on the museum's lawn -- at 5 p.m. the same day! Each hole is a unique work of art, created by a Detroit area artist. Hours are 11:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday, and 11:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday through Sunday. (Visit www.dia.org for information on the summer art camp offerings.)

The Yak is the paper's kiddie mascot (costume talent). Appears in parades and at libraries to encourage reading.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived