Charlotte Space Needle / Aquarium

Maybe some of you remember this:

I started following uptown development around the same time First Union was topping out (what is now one Wachovia) and NationsBank was going along with plans on what is now Bank of America Corporate Center. The Observer used to run a special business section in their paper on Mondays called "Business Monday". I recall an article about one man's dream of a 1000 - 1300 ft Needle / Observation structure on top of an Aqaurium in one of the Business Mondays. I saved the article / picture but have since lost it. At the time I knew it was only a dream for charlotte because it wasn't the right time, but now with the Nascar Hall of Fame a project like this could hold more ground. Anyway, am I the only one that remembers this article about this man's dream. Let me know because Im beginning to think I made this up LOL. Any information is appreciated.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That would be nice, kill two birds with one stone. We all know this city could use an aquarium (arena debate withstanding) and having two attractions as part of the same facility would be a wonderful addition for this city. The space needle in Sydney is on top of a touristy mall.

^ That is not horrible, very iconic (more so than the few other needles IMO), and I also like the combo idea of needle and aquarium. But specifically that as pictured, even a minor change could make it a sore thumb. I wonder what other colors might work for such a structure?

In my view a CN Tower/Space Needle effort in Charlotte would have to be all or none. It would have to be breathtaking--or just don't do it. The risk of getting it wrong is too great if the project started with only meager funding.

If the concept of an observation tower/aquarium were to come to fruition, it would have to be designed by a well-known world class architect. An architect with vision and reputation. It would need to be a source of pride, and yes an icon. It won't come cheap. Would citizens in Charlotte support such an expenditure, to do it right?

I specifically remember the Gellman proposal for an observation deck. In fact, I may still have the article as I tend to save things like that myself. It was quite a few years back, maybe 15 or more.

Gellman, IMO, was one of Charlotte's more eclectic visionaries. I vaguely remember all the cool things he proposed for Charlotte, but sadly, most were scoffed by city officials.

I remember his bold design for the Performing Arts Center when Charlotte was taking on ideas for this. If I remember correctly, he caused quite a ruckus when he learned the performing arts center structure was going to be tied in to the BoA (then Nationsbank) building, standing firm that it should be a separate building. And I tend to agree with him to this day on that.

I have never heard of this inspire needle before but uptowns skyline could certainly use a little something different than the mostly all glass office towers that dominate the skyline and an aquarium of top quality has been missing for way too long in this city so why not kill two birds with one stone! i dont mind the rendering of the one that is going up in new york but i would think a different color might make me like it a bit more

Archived