Super Highways, super growth

richyb83

Population trends have always been interesting to me. Way back early settlers tended to build along waterways; then the advent of railroads prompted the growth of towns to pop-up all along it. Now there is a growth phenomenon along our Interstate systems.

("Bright spot" in otherwise bleak, waning population of Louisiana)

A soon to be released 26-year population analysis indicates 11 parishes along the I-10/I-12 corridor from the Texas state line to Mississippi are growing faster than the nation as a whole. 1/3 of all Louisianians now live along that stretch. Just since 1980, 365,000 newcomers have come to call it the road home.

* Since 1980 Louisiana has only grown by less than 2%

* The population along the I-49 corridor from Lafayette to Shreveport bumped up nearly 8%;

* Those along the I-20 corridor to the north over 5%

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/7241401.html

042907itentwohm8.jpg

042907itenonecz2.jpg

*According to a professor at UL-Lafayette, said the corridor is projected to be part of the "Gulf-rim megalopolis" stretching from Naples FL in the southeast to Corpus Christi TX to the southwest; this is on a smaller scale(smaller pop./more rural areas) to the similar phenomenon in the Northeast from Boston to Richmond VA.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me personally....like living nearby the Interstate (I-12). It's just convieniant! Whether it across town to LSU or Downtown or even going to work off of College Drive; or making a quick get away to Gulf Shores(to the East) or Houston(to the West) It's just the way it goes for me. I like being a minute or two from the Interstate. +No stop lights ! :thumbsup:

I think I can speak for Brian up in SBC as well, living on the eastern edge of the Metro in Haughton; he likes the nearby Interstates as well. ;)

Interesting to see the growth along the Interstate corridors in Louisiana IMO.

Is this an "Anti-Urban" thread?? Just making sure :thumbsup:

Not everyone lives in the urban core. Many of us live in and around "edge cities" or suburbs. Baton Rouge was a late bloomer as far as cities go; and 3rd largest population in La. until the 70's. So Baton Rouge has many suburban features. But "Smart Growth" infil has been taking place in and around BR eventhough Livingston and Ascension are the 2nd and 3rd Fastest gowing parishes.

Interstates help feed this sprawl. It's everywhere..Atlanta, Houston, DC, L.A.,etc.

^ :lol: Now that you mention it, Richy, maybe it is a bit anti-urban, or at least anti-city living. ;)

Of course it's only acknowledging something that's been happening in this state and nation for decades now, and "super highways; super growth" sums it up very well.

Archived