Small city shops face 62% tax hike

beerbeer

As usual the mayor's office is confused and part of the problem! Perez says only two hundred businesses affected - - ONLY! Others say about 800 small commercial businesses are facing a financial squeeze if city and state officials don

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As usual the mayor's office is confused and part of the problem! Perez says only two hundred businesses affected - - ONLY! Others say about 800 small commercial businesses are facing a financial squeeze if city and state officials don

What audacity are you referring to? The city put off revaluation for too long and that's why these taxes on local businesses are soaring. The taxes are rising because of huge increases in the assessed value of their property. I'm with you that the city needs to do something about this to curb the possibly catastrophic effect this could have on small business owners. But the higher assessed values aren't the city's fault, and it appears that they are willing to do something about it. Let's delay judgement until they do/don't act.

The net result is the taxes are too high for them to survive. Whether a one time jump, or gradually over the years, it's still too high, capesh? Let's not delay judgement, if we do, then a bunch of the nice little stores we all frequent will be gone. The audacity is the city thinking a big jump and the net result of very high taxes will end up ok for the city. If you and I can figure out this won't work, they why can't the city? The reason is they are too hung up on themsleves and their troubles, and getting re-elected, not on the poor business' that are/will be struggling to even survive. That's audacity, my friend...

Despite whose fault it is action needs to be taken because basically Hartford is in jeopordy and everyone knows it. People do not have to do business in Hartford, the bakeries, restaurants, laundromats, shops, etc. that own their property do not have to be in Hartford. They can do the same business in West Hartford or Glastonbury or Rocky Hill. I love Hartford but Hartford is not an urban metropolis that people neccesarily want to be a part of like New York City or Boston.

Many of these small business owners have been part of the city for many years, they remained in the city through the bad times. These small business owners also own property in the city, they do not lease which shows a real commitment to Hartford by them

I urge everyone here to take action and write or email local and state politicians as well to make this right because Hartford is in real danger.

GHartford

You need an economics lesson. There is no reason these tax rates can't be lowered (or raised). The government sets the tax rate. Period.

You think it's tied to some property value assessment by something other than the government passing a tax law. It's not. It's only tied because that is the way the tax law is written by the government.

DUH!

At a meeting of small business people held Saturday, Mayor Perez made a surprise appearance and by his own admission, now says the number of businesses affected could be anywhere from 650 to 800, and they could see a tax increase anywhere from 62% to 200%. Unfortunately, the Mayor is attempting to blame this on the Legislature and says that is where the fix needs to come from. The City Council is also burying their heads in the sand and this afternoon passed a resolution requesting the legislature fix the problem, at the same time passing the budget with a $21 million dollar increase in spending. The City also anticipates an extra 10.6 million in funding through Gov. Rell's proposed budget. Rather than hold their budget steady and shift equivalent funds from the Board budget back to the General fund, the Council immediately increased spending for the Board of Education by 10.6 million. The issue is not taxes, it is spending. As long as Perez continues to get bailed out by the State, there is no incentive for him to reduce or at least hold spending steady.

I'm sure another Perez stunt is coming where he will march to the Capitol and demand they fix his mess , otherwise he will have to close schools, layoff cops and firemen and the City of Hartford will become a wasteland. Oh wait, he did that last year and the legislature fell for it, will they fall for it again this year? I tend to think not, his stunts are wearing thin on everyone.

It is time for Emperor Eddie to step up and admit he is a disaster

GHartford

You need an economics lesson. There is no reason these tax rates can't be lowered (or raised). The government sets the tax rate. Period.

You think it's tied to some property value assessment by something other than the government passing a tax law. It's not. It's only tied because that is the way the tax law is written by the government.

DUH!

At this rate, Hartford will sink to Springfield levels - where the state has to totally step in and bail the city out to set the city in the right direction.

At least for Hartford, they have a chance to prevent that from happening.

I really want to know what this whole increasing in spending is for, to warrant the tax rate to skyrocket for all these small businesses, especially if city services don't increase or aren't properly utilized.

With that said... bring on all the Diamond Joe Quimby references. Being a huge Simpsons fan, it's easy to compare him to Perez. The electability factor included.

Archived