Starbucks on Alpine Ave

It looks like the old Shell gas station on the West side of Alpine Ave. is going to be the site if a new Starbucks! (I guess they've traded eon kind of fuel for another). Anyone have any other information on this development? Tentative opening date perhaps? :thumbsup:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard about the new Starbucks too. Based on a stand-alone Starbucks I've seen in my grand parent's home town, the building will be fairly small, maybe somewhere between 1000 to 1500 sq. ft. So I'm guessing a scant 6 months from start to finish.

It looks like the old Shell gas station on the West side of Alpine Ave. is going to be the site if a new Starbucks! (I guess they've traded eon kind of fuel for another). Anyone have any other information on this development? Tentative opening date perhaps? :thumbsup:

How about some cross streets? 6th? Five Mile? Somewhere in between, I'm guessing.

Riding to Fred tonight I noticed an adaptive re-use: gas station with repair bays turned into a deli. Right next to an oil change place and just south of Wendy - Jo-Ann - U-Haul.

Its across the street from Target on the south side of Bennigen's.

How about some cross streets? 6th? Five Mile? Somewhere in between, I'm guessing.

Riding to Fred tonight I noticed an adaptive re-use: gas station with repair bays turned into a deli. Right next to an oil change place and just south of Wendy - Jo-Ann - U-Haul.

Not to be snarky, but what does this topic have anything to do with UrbanPlanet?

1) Starbucks are a dime a dozen. are we really celebrating another one? On Alpine?

2) There are many many locally owned coffee shops that actually have better tasting and better quality coffees

Moved to the coffee house (no pun intended :) )

Thanks for your cooperation.

Not to be snarky, but what does this topic have anything to do with UrbanPlanet?

1) Starbucks are a dime a dozen. are we really celebrating another one? On Alpine?

2) There are many many locally owned coffee shops that actually have better tasting and better quality coffees

Moved to the coffee house..

It has plenty to do with UrbanPlanet IMO. Some feel a new corner Starbucks in a depressed area is the start of its rebirth. On the other hand it is also seen as the beginning of the end for mom and pops coffee houses. They have a crazy plan to open thousands more stores in the next decade. Some of their locations are even across the street from each other in bigger cities. It's the McDonalds of the moment. Good or bad, I think it's a valid topic on UP.

... I would agree IF this were a new national chain opening in a depressed area. But across from Target on Alpine? Further up Alpine is a new retail strip center across from Menards. Do we start individual topics for each new store that opens there? There's a new soup and salad place on the East Betline near Celebration Village, next to Noodles and Co. that I noticed the other day. What does it have to do with revitalization of urban areas? ...

I am rather happy about this as there really aren't any coffee shops on Alpine right now that I'm aware of. Since I work up there it might be nice to get something better than the gross stuff my work provides. I'd rather have a Beaners though.

....And Behold what will surely become the Walmart of the Coffee world.

It has plenty to do with UrbanPlanet IMO. Some feel a new corner Starbucks in a depressed area is the start of its rebirth. On the other hand it is also seen as the beginning of the end for mom and pops coffee houses. They have a crazy plan to open thousands more stores in the next decade. Some of their locations are even across the street from each other in bigger cities. It's the McDonalds of the moment. Good or bad, I think it's a valid topic on UP.

I wouldn't exactly call anything along the Alpine corridor depressed, it's the most heavily traveled thoroughfare in Western Michigan. If one thing leaves, something pops in to take it's place just as quick. Anything North of 3mile (as this is) is some of the most prime commercial realestate in the metro area. The fact that Starbucks is just now getting to the NW side is kind of silly, but not news.

I never knew the Alpine Ave. Corridor as being depressed as the road is always jammed and all the parking lots are full. However, trouble does begin south of the Alpine Meijer, due to the closure of the old Lear Plant and the resultant negative economic impact. That area is crying out for help.

I just meant in Starbuck's shear size as compared to its competitors and how they are engraved into the American lexicon.

They're changing their name to Boku Coffee for that reason as they expand nationally.

Regarding the "Walmart of coffee" comment, I wouldn't exactly compare Starbucks to Walmart. A shop that markets to higher end customers, is know for paying its workers well, providing health insurance, proactive in fair-trade and organic farming?

Granted I choose to support the local shops but certainly don't feel like I'm walking into a walmart experience when I'm hitting up a Starbucks.

Archived