What does $4 gas mean to Charlotte

monsoon

I have changed a lot of my *un-green* ways in the last year, one was moving MUCH closer to work which cut my commute down from 32 miles from my primary residence to 4 miles. A lot of factors went into play, but when choosing our new home the then $3 gas fueled the fire of being close to work. When you multiply the price per gallon times such a long distance it certainly makes you change your lifestyle in a drastic way. I can only assume that as gas gets even more expensive that we will likely see people shifting locations to be closer to ameneties and their place of work. In the future the far suburbs may only be for those who work from home, are retired, or work at one of the local businesses in their city. In 10 or 15 years there may be very few driving from Monroe to work in Charlotte for example.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just with the recent rise in gas prices above $3/gallon CATS ridership has increased 9%. Some of the Express Routes have seen double digit ridership increases. Here is a recent press release from them:

With local gas prices for regular unleaded jumping 14 cents a gallon in the past month to 2.957 a gallon, more and more commuters are looking at getting some relief at the pump.

The Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS) saw a nine percent increase in ridership in April as gas prices continued to rise. The 80X Concord Express, 85X Gastonia Express and 88X Lincoln County Express all saw double digit increases. Neighborhood shuttle ridership rose over 148 percent, with the North Meck Village Rider service climbing nearly 30 percent and the Beatties Ford Neighborhood shuttle seeing a 17 percent increase in passengers.

In my perfect world, $4 a gallon mean people will be trading in their unecessary monster sized gas guzzling SUVs and other vehicles that get horrible mileage for smaller, more gas efficient gas sipping cars or start riding mass transit. I suspect many people would be switch vehicles or a least try mass transit. However, the people who can afford to drop $100 on a tank without batting an eyelash will probably not give give up their guzzlers.

On a personal note, I finally got away from the University Area and work downtown again, so $4 a gallon doesn't mean much to me since I now ride the bus again.

Archived