Oldest name in U.S. automotive industry

By KATHY BARKS HOFFMAN

Associated Press Writer

Published on: 04/29/04

LANSING, Mich.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^^ Which would be why Olds was finally phased out. According to my dad, GM was considering phasing out Buick as well, but then they came out with the Rendezvous, which was the one car that saved the company. If it wasn't for the Rendezvous, GM would've phased out Buick as well.

GM has lost so much market share, it can't afford to have so many divisions. They should have gotten rid of Buick too. Now that gas prices are on the rise, like the 1970s, they are totally unprepared for it.

If Buick starts loosing money again like it did before, I wouldn't be surprised if GM phased them out too. GM is insane...it has all kinds of divisions...and all the divisons produce basically the same car with just a different name, and maybe some slight modifications. I will also say that I have not been impressed by a lot of GM's designs, although they are FINALLY begining to come out with some new things. It sure took them long enough!

Sorta the same with Plymouth I guess. In Canada, they even stopped the Mercury line, and just sell Fords with Lincolns. I wonder if with all the global competition if domestic automakers should stop competing with themselves, in a sense, and adopt a one general and one luxury make style like Toyota and Lexus or VW and Audi.

Guest donaltopablo

But also keep in mind, companies like Toyota are actually extending the number of brand lines they have. They recently added a youth oriented brand line called Scion. Sold through the same dealer and part networks, and they are simply Americanized JDM vehicles, which means there risk is low. But if the line takes off, you could see it develop into a three completely seperate brand identity.

I do think the American car companies need to scale back their lines a little bit though. I also think American car companies are too concerned with Niche models, and don't have "a home run hitter". They lack that Camry/Accord vehicle that sells in volumes and speaks volumes about the company to encourage people to buy their other vehicles. They are working on it, but way behind.

Archived