NY Post: Dillard's Might be Next

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Personally, I wouldn't miss Dillards. I bet my family has not spent $500 there in 10 years. 80 percent of that was my wife going to Origins. There are two things that give me a slightly more favorable opinion of Dillards today versus the past. One Bill Dillard senior passed and it does seem like Dillards may be slightly more involved in local events. I'd like to see this continue. The other reason is that Alltel and Acxiom are no longer Arkansas-owned.

I am cautiously optimistic that the accumulation of stock by Alltel and Acxiom employees, could translate to a significant influx of wealth in LR. Along with it may come new and interesting economic development phenomena as individuals make investments. Perhaps there will be some entrepreneurial endeavors that could become a positive effect caused by the buyouts. On the other hand, there could also be a glut of houses on the market in WLR a year from now. I am interested to see what the "trickle down" (I'm gagging on my own words) effect will be.

Personally, I wouldn't miss Dillards. I bet my family has not spent $500 there in 10 years. 80 percent of that was my wife going to Origins. There are two things that give me a slightly more favorable opinion of Dillards today versus the past. One Bill Dillard senior passed and it does seem like Dillards may be slightly more involved in local events. I'd like to see this continue. The other reason is that Alltel and Acxiom are no longer Arkansas-owned.

I am cautiously optimistic that the accumulation of stock by Alltel and Acxiom employees, could translate to a significant influx of wealth in LR. Along with it may come new and interesting economic development phenomena as individuals make investments. Perhaps there will be some entrepreneurial endeavors that could become a positive effect caused by the buyouts. On the other hand, there could also be a glut of houses on the market in WLR a year from now. I am interested to see what the "trickle down" (I'm gagging on my own words) effect will be.

There would be nothing positive about potentially losing the many white-collar jobs that dillard's brings to Little Rock.

I agree with Architect, simply because you don't shop there doesn't mean that you shouldn't care if the company gets bought out. I doubt you contract shipping services from JB Hunt, does that mean you wouldn't care if they left Arkansas?

One thing I think all of us have noticed is while the Stephens are tremendous givers to the community and companies like Alltel and Acxiom have been good corporate citizens over the years Dillard's and the Dillard family really haven't done much for the community or for charities.

Archived