Greenville Tech Growth

distortedlogic

I heard today on WORD radio that there will be a press conference tomorrow morning for an announcement between Greenville Tech and USC. Botht the president of G Tech, and USC will be on hand.

Any thoughts on what this might be? Remember when Gville was going to get a USC Upstate campus but didn't? Could this be it's alternative?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, there were rumors of a USC Upstate campus in Greenville a while back. Its hard to say how official/serious it was, since nothing ever came of it. My thought is that if Gville Tech will be brought into the USC system, they would leak the idea to the public first- because that would be a huge announcement. I'll be interersted to see what it is....

Remember, they changed the name from USC Spartanburg to USC Upstate right before the previous announcement.

There is some construction going on at the GTEC campus on Cleveland St. by the back entrance. I wonder if this could be part of the new plan?

This is about what I expected. This type of bridge program is pretty common. I know Clemson does it with Tri-County Tech, and USC-Columbia has a similar relationship with with Midlands-Tech. This seems like a natural move. I wouldn't mind seeing something like this with Spartanburg Community College and USC Upstate as well.

It is a good step, but more remains to be done.

Greenville remains first among the state's largest cities without a public four-year college/university. It is vital to expedite this idea to ensure a center for undergraduate and graduate studies for the greater Greenville area.

This was a quite dissapointing announcement. It's good, yes, but not worth the hype. The USC President could have saved the gas money really. What's the big deal? Maybe "130 students" a year?

It'd be more worth the excitement if the entire USC bridge program was moved to GTC. GTC offers the most college-like experience I'd say with the on-campus housing and it'd allow for more bonding and greater friendships to be formed.

How many students don't get into USC, HAVE to go there to get their desired degree, AND are from the Upstate? The equation seems too exclusive. Is there really any difference in going to GTC in the first place and simply doing a normal transfer? You still get your USC diploma.

Nonetheless, I see the goods as being that more of the housing could be rented as a result, and it will strengthen ties between the midlands and the upstate.

I'm removed from the whole Clemson / USC thing, as I'm a "Roll Tide" alum. I don't quite understand why this bridge program for Tech is with USC. Seems it would have made much more sense as a program with Clemson. Tech is in the same geographical area with Clemson and seems a better fit with Clemson through some shared studies (automotive for example). :dontknow:

I'm removed from the whole Clemson / USC thing, as I'm a "Roll Tide" alum. I don't quite understand why this bridge program for Tech is with USC. Seems it would have made much more sense as a program with Clemson. Tech is in the same geographical area with Clemson and seems a better fit with Clemson through some shared studies (automotive for example). :dontknow:

I'm not basing my opinion on the rivalry, as I was quite excited when I got wind of the 'announcement of the announcement' from greenvilleonline.com this morning. Though I was dissapointed in the end.

Clemson has a bridge program with Tri-County Tech, which seems to work well, as this was its first year. ALL students from wherever they're from go through Tri-County Tech, use Clemson's amenities on campus, are integrated in the CAT bus routes, and are all together at the Heritage at Riverwood apartments. I wouldn't want Clemson to have two bridge programs because the current setup seems too great and I wouldn't want the students divided up among two places.

This was a quite dissapointing announcement. It's good, yes, but not worth the hype. The USC President could have saved the gas money really. What's the big deal? Maybe "130 students" a year?

It'd be more worth the excitement if the entire USC bridge program was moved to GTC. GTC offers the most college-like experience I'd say with the on-campus housing and it'd allow for more bonding and greater friendships to be formed.

How many students don't get into USC, HAVE to go there to get their desired degree, AND are from the Upstate? The equation seems too exclusive. Is there really any difference in going to GTC in the first place and simply doing a normal transfer? You still get your USC diploma.

Nonetheless, I see the goods as being that more of the housing could be rented as a result, and it will strengthen ties between the midlands and the upstate.

I was on Cleveland yesterday on the back side of Greenville Tech. Looks like more new construction on campus at the entrance closest to the Cleveland / Faris stoplight. Anyone know what this is? The student housing is complete, so this must be something else. :dontknow:

I was on Cleveland yesterday on the back side of Greenville Tech. Looks like more new construction on campus at the entrance closest to the Cleveland / Faris stoplight. Anyone know what this is? The student housing is complete, so this must be something else. :dontknow:

Gtech's numbers are really starting to get impressive now. The lates figures I have seen is about 15,000 students, with 20,000 "continuing education students", for a total of 35,000. The 15k alone puts it nearly even with Clemson. In probably about two more years, it will have surpassed it. Not sure what all constitutes continuing education, but I suppose it just diferentiates from regular full-time undergrad?

I have doubts about Sanford wanting to spend the money to establish a 4 year institution in Greenville, but with those kinds of numbers you can obviously see that demand is there...

Personally, while Greenville Tech has a huge presence on Pleasantburg Drive and it's been dubbed as an education corridor by the city, I wouldn't mind the college moving downtown if it were to become a regular 4 year school. County Square has a bright future as it is, I think the Rutherford Rd, Pete Hollis area would be a great spot- especially with the library being right there... Just some random thoughts late at night :)

So, it's 20,000 more people doing continuing education or 20,000 total including the normal students? 35,000 seems outrageous. :dontknow:

Archived